News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Best Candy

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, October 12, 2021, 06:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anselm

Mounds bars

I consider dark chocolate to be more akin to vitamins rather than candy.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

onehappyunicorn

Yeah, the Trader Joe's pb cups are very, very good. I find that dark chocolate tends to fight the peanut butter for me so I prefer the milk. I like dark chocolate, just not with peanut butter.
The Reese's sticks are good too, I'm a texture person and I like the combo there.
I normally don't like gummy candies but Albanese gummies are outstanding. Their gummy bears come in some really good, strong flavors.
As I've gotten older I've gotten much pickier but every now and then I crave a frozen 3 musketeers bar.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on October 12, 2021, 08:12:42 PM
For me it's Smartied (the commonwealth kind,  not what goes by that name in the States) and chocolate easter eggs (the cheap kind in snowflake foil wrap, not the fancy kind).

Oh. And Chokotoff (Riesen is the cheaper, more common imitation).

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on October 13, 2021, 08:26:09 AM

As I've gotten older I've gotten much pickier but every now and then I crave a frozen 3 musketeers bar.

I've always thought that most chocolate bars are improved by being frozen...
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: Anselm on October 13, 2021, 08:14:35 AM
Mounds bars

Yes.

If we venture beyond candy at all, my morning 1/2 croissant and barely-sweetened cocoa would fit in there.

I also like Mounds bars, dark Bounty bars in the UK/Europe (except, did they stop making them? They were hard to find in 2019/2020, the last time I was there).

And the dark chocolate Lindt truffles are fun to toss out on the table for a dinner party waiting to order...

I've tried the dark mint Twix, thought I'd like them, but didn't somehow...might have to be fair and give them another chance....

And of course any Russell-Stover's dark chocolate pieces, soft or hard.....

Ohh, that reminds me. Dark chocolate turtles of any kind; cashews are especially good....

Gotta stop, getting hungry!!

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

traductio

My favorite candy is Smarties (the American kind -- what Canadians call Rockets), candy corn, and Peeps -- the stuff my spouse refers to as "chemically-tasting processed sugar."

I make no claims about those being the best. (Kids did love to trade candy with me at Hallowe'en when I was in elementary school.)

mamselle

Oh, and I have to speak up for a poster who isn't here as much anymore....

At one of our meetups, I was given several tiny boxes of Nerds.

They reminded me of Sweet-Tarts, which I used to like.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: traductio on October 13, 2021, 09:29:34 AM
My favorite candy is Smarties (the American kind -- what Canadians call Rockets), candy corn, and Peeps -- the stuff my spouse refers to as "chemically-tasting processed sugar."

I make no claims about those being the best. (Kids did love to trade candy with me at Hallowe'en when I was in elementary school.)

0_o zomg

I never thought you were possible!
I know it's a genus.

Istiblennius

Green tea kit kats (I have a friend who sends them from Japan). Most of the best candy I've had that isn't high end boutique stuff I had in Japan.

The blennius fry know to not to eat the milky ways out of their Halloween buckets. I reward them richly for giving me their milky ways.

cascade

Quote from: traductio on October 13, 2021, 09:29:34 AM

Smarties!!

Smarties are the reason I ended up with a doctorate. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

clean

QuoteThe blennius fry know to not to eat the milky ways out of their Halloween buckets. I reward them richly for giving me their milky ways

My parents would "inspect" our Trick or Treat Haul and left us with the JUNK!  When we went Trick or Treating, we had to promise not to eat any before we got back.  That was ok, because we were too busy gathering loot to take time to eat any!  When we got home, we had to dump our haul on the floor and my parent  "inspected"  everything. IF it was handmade, we had to tell them where we got it.  IF they knew them (the old couple that lived diagnally across the street would make something that looked like a waffle).  They ate those, and threw away the ones from those they didnt know.  They took most of the 'best' candy.  We could keep some of the M&Ms,  and maybe the 3 musketeers, but the snickers and milkyway (and no way we kept an Almond Joy!!).   If it was a tootsie pop like candy, we got those, no questions asked. But the chocolate covered ones....

At the time we had enough loot to not question the 'toll' we had to pay my parents.  But as we got older, and realized the true Relative Values of a Milky Way over a Tootsie Pop.... well, it was quite a steep price!!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

traductio

Quote from: mamselle on October 13, 2021, 09:34:28 AM
Oh, and I have to speak up for a poster who isn't here as much anymore....

At one of our meetups, I was given several tiny boxes of Nerds.

They reminded me of Sweet-Tarts, which I used to like.

M.

Nerds and Sweet-Tarts are definitely on the list of "chemically-tasing processed sugar," so a clear yes in my book.

(For what it's worth, I also like obscenely expensive locally made chocolate bars -- the more pretentious, the better.)

apl68

Quote from: Anselm on October 13, 2021, 08:14:35 AM

I wouldn't go that far, but I do much prefer milk chocolate.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

jimbogumbo

The Mars family gets it done for me. Twixt, Snickers, Three Musketeer and Almond Joy.

Really like Dove candies, and Cadbury (hard) eggs.

Of the non-chocolate variety, Starburst!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: clean on October 13, 2021, 10:21:49 AM
IF they knew them (the old couple that lived diagnally across the street would make something that looked like a waffle). 

Was it une galette (ignore the syrup drizzled all over the top--that's kinda weird)? Or perhaps a stroopwafel (basically a galette with a layer of syrup in the middle)?
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: clean on Today at 13:21:49
IF they knew them (the old couple that lived diagnally across the street would make something that looked like a waffle).

Was it une galette (ignore the syrup drizzled all over the top--that's kinda weird)? Or perhaps a stroopwafel (basically a galette with a layer of syrup in the middle)?

Ooh, we have my Belgian grandfather's galette press, and if we're going in the direction of stoopwafels, I'll vote for those, too (even though they're more Flemish than Walloon...)

No, I'm not prejudiced when it comes to sweets.

Oh, actually, those dusted Turkish gelatin delights and some of the foil-wrapped Indian candies I've had a Divalli celebrations have been really cool, too.

And baklava, and sesame-honey nuggets, and...

M.

Quote from: clean on October 13, 2021, 10:21:49 AM
QuoteThe blennius fry know to not to eat the milky ways out of their Halloween buckets. I reward them richly for giving me their milky ways

My parents would "inspect" our Trick or Treat Haul and left us with the JUNK!  When we went Trick or Treating, we had to promise not to eat any before we got back.  That was ok, because we were too busy gathering loot to take time to eat any!  When we got home, we had to dump our haul on the floor and my parent  "inspected"  everything. IF it was handmade, we had to tell them where we got it.  IF they knew them (the old couple that lived diagnally across the street would make something that looked like a waffle).  They ate those, and threw away the ones from those they didnt know.  They took most of the 'best' candy.  We could keep some of the M&Ms,  and maybe the 3 musketeers, but the snickers and milkyway (and no way we kept an Almond Joy!!).   If it was a tootsie pop like candy, we got those, no questions asked. But the chocolate covered ones....

At the time we had enough loot to not question the 'toll' we had to pay my parents.  But as we got older, and realized the true Relative Values of a Milky Way over a Tootsie Pop.... well, it was quite a steep price!!!

A nudge into the realm of finance and comparative advantage in trade, perhaps?

;--}

M.