News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Winter Sustenance Thread

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, November 06, 2021, 03:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Been eating quite a bit of taco soup lately.  All of it prepared by either family or friends.  I was with friends who had it yesterday evening.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

AvidReader

Quote from: Harlow2 on November 07, 2021, 08:41:10 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on November 06, 2021, 04:44:58 PM
Mahagonny's crazy soup

Two cans of mushroom soup
mushrooms, calamata or sweet black olives, onions, celery and or fresh peppers in skillet w/butter & olive oil
small pieces of browned or grilled chicken
minced or chopped garlic, sundry spices
half and half
a little water if it's too thick

Wife thinks it's nuts, to which I reply 'well, I thought I was enjoying it while I was having it.'

Wow! That sounds really good; I never considered the olive-mushroom combo, though I like it on pizza. Which spices work best?

I had a central European soup with green and black olives once, and it was dazzling.

AR.

Morden

Carrot soup with garlic and ginger. (I use a chicken broth, but vegetable would work)
Lots of slow cooker meals.
And I just started a sauerkraut batch on the weekend.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Getting a flavored coffee, tea, or hot chocolate from a local gas station for my commute in the mornings.  Beats standing in line doing self-service!

evil_physics_witchcraft

We tend to do more crockpot and slow cooker meals from scratch:

chicken curry
beef stew
vegetable soup
potato soup + cheese
lentil soup
chicken stew/soup
chili

Coffee is also a must have. Hot cocoa with marshmallows and homemade vanilla makes everything feel good. And I almost forgot, an electric blanket, heating pad and portable heater. I am using 2 out of 3 right now and youngest evil cat is using the other.