Conservatives angry at Big Bird: a new level of insanity

Started by Wahoo Redux, November 08, 2021, 02:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

So funny I almost want to cry.

Big Bird got 'vaccinated' against COVID-19, drawing outrage from Republicans

Somehow I missed this back in the day:

When Mississippi Once Banned Sesame Street

I try remember that people of a certain age are ALWAYS seeing apocalypses and dystopias...but maybe this really is the end of the western empire.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

evil_physics_witchcraft

dismalist

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 08, 2021, 02:33:28 PM
I try remember that people of a certain age are ALWAYS seeing apocalypses and dystopias...but maybe this really is the end of the western empire.

Like the global warming apocalypse, in eight years.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

marshwiggle

Don't forget how Cookie Monster caused controversy.
As concerns have grown over childhood obesity, it was decided Cookie Monster should be shown eating a more diverse diet.
In 2006, the show began airing segments entitled Healthy Habits for Life, where he and other puppets talk about healthy eating habits. A rumor spread that Cookie Monster was becoming "Veggie Monster", who would be foregoing his favorite snack for a healthier diet.
However, this is false. Cookie Monster will remain as he is, a fervent food lover but with a more diverse palate. He has since been brought onto shows like Martha Stewart's and The Colbert Report to explain that "cookies are a sometimes food."

And here's a wrap-up of various Sesame Street scandals. (Including the Katy Perry with Elmo incident.)
It takes so little to be above average.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: dismalist on November 08, 2021, 03:18:39 PM

That actually looks like it's happening.

dismalist

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 08, 2021, 05:29:47 PM

Yup, the clock is ticking! As it did toward the year 1000. The Y1K problem. Antichrist, you know.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: dismalist on November 08, 2021, 05:36:25 PM

Yup, the clock is ticking! As it did toward the year 1000. The Y1K problem. Antichrist, you know.

I don't know, of course, but when people are reduced to hyperbole and reductio ad absurdum in the face of science and fact do they actually have anything to say?

Or are they just avoiding the obvious?

dismalist

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 08, 2021, 07:12:39 PM

I don't know, of course, but when people are reduced to hyperbole and reductio ad absurdum in the face of science and fact do they actually have anything to say?

Eight years. In science.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: dismalist on November 08, 2021, 07:17:20 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 08, 2021, 07:12:39 PM

Eight years. In science.

NOAA: Hottest summer on record.

I don't know why you keep repeating "8 years" (Inconvenient Truth, maybe?).  NASA is doing projections in the decades and into the next century. 

If all one has is misinformation...

ciao_yall

Yep. Tell that to this guy

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/08/tuvalu-minister-gives-cop26-speech-knee-deep-in-the-ocean-to-highlight-rising-sea-levels.html

dismalist

--Higher CO2 concentration increases agricultural yields.
--More warmth, especially in high latitudes, at night, as expected, reduces deaths from the cold.
--There are not more weather catastrophes reaching the shore. The damage they do, as a share of stuff, is lower, even though there's more stuff.
--If the sea level rises, ask some Dutch engineers what to do. Pay them for their knowledge.

Best of all, Greenland will be green again. Note the name.

I welcome global warming. It will make us better off on average. We can pay people who are hurt.

There will be no apocalypse, in eight years or longer.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: dismalist on November 08, 2021, 07:48:43 PM
--More warmth, especially in high latitudes, at night, as expected, reduces deaths from the cold.
--There are not more weather catastrophes reaching the shore. The damage they do, as a share of stuff, is lower, even though there's more stuff.
--If the sea level rises, ask some Dutch engineers what to do. Pay them for their knowledge.

I welcome global warming. It will make us better off on average. We can pay people who are hurt.

So you are in the planetary sciences then?

What happens to old people in heat waves?

Dangerous weather patterns?  How many flights did American cancel last week because of dangerous winds?

A new level of insanity affects some people these days.

dismalist

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 08, 2021, 08:04:19 PM

Dangerous weather patterns?  How many flights did American cancel last week because of dangerous winds?

Perhaps we can cancel using automobiles to reduce the number of old people's premature deaths.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

quasihumanist

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 08, 2021, 08:04:19 PM

Yes dangerous weather patterns in some places, but it's also true that fewer people in Minnesota (or Manitoba) are dying from the cold every winter now.

Dismalist is just pointing out that the whole history of humankind is some people making lives worse off for other people in order to make it better for themselves, and global warming is no different.

Personally, I think automation and climate change are both so disruptive that either by itself would lead to nuclear war.  Combined I think we are doomed to it, but do note that nuclear war isn't completely destructive; tens of millions will survive, and they will still mostly know about the iron plow and the germ theory of disease, which puts them ahead of the Romans in both respects.