News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Thanksgiving Plans 2021 (Whatchya gonna do?)

Started by clean, November 12, 2021, 12:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

Usually, by now, I have already skipped town, because, traditionally, I cancel class on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, in order to give myself an extra day of holiday. I deserve it, and the students want class canceled, too. Most admins are usually gone by mid-afternoon on Mondays, if they show up at all this week (for the ones that actually show up to their physical offices), and with admins and most students & faculty AWOL, the support staff scram quietly into the holiday.

But, I didn't cancel class for Tuesday. I'm actually going to teach one class on Tuesday morning before I leave town to see family in my hometown, for the holidays. I hope I don't regret that decision to stick around for a little bit on Tuesday.

AmLitHist

I finished my last class at 11 this morning and blew off my office hours by leaving shortly thereafter.  There were hardly any cars, students, or faculty around.

I've bought all the dinner fixings over the past several weeks, so I'll cook the turkey breast when I get up Thursday morning and make a few side dishes.  That's the most work I plan to do between now and resuming classes next Monday. The only other plans involve continuing my binge of 24, crocheting, and other t.v.

Since it's just ALHS and our at-home daughter and me, I might get some good working time to prep my spring classes at some point this week. That would be excellent, leaving my entire Christmas break to be completely work-free.

clean

Final day!!
Is your bird defrosting (safely)? 

Are your plans laid? 

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

apl68

Driving home tomorrow morning.  Mom found some turkey and will have it ready.  It will just be Mom and Dad and I, since my brother has returned home out-of-state to spend the holiday with his in-laws who live near them.  Mom and Dad's good friend and neighbor, the hermit who lives on their land, might be there if he doesn't end up spending the day with family this year instead.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: clean on November 24, 2021, 10:24:23 AM
Final day!!
Is your bird defrosting (safely)? 

Are your plans laid?

Yep! It has been in the fridge for a few days. Today I plan to blow/vacuum leaves up, make some challah/sweet rolls and help SO with anything he needs. He's making cornbread for the dressing tomorrow and the pie crust for pumpkin pie (I do the pie innards). Tomorrow, we will both prepare the turkey, SO will make mashed potatoes from scratch and I will finish the dressing, make candied sweet potatoes and some kind of green veg.

We plan to hide at home away from family drama. Wish us luck.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

We got boneless lamb at Costco today--it'll be our main dish tomorrow. There were plenty of Butterball turkeys but too big for us. There was a sale on Celebrity Goat's Milk Cheese with Cranberry Cinnamon so it was an excuse to stock up on it!  :)

Larimar

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Mr. Larimar and I will be hitting the road this afternoon to see his parents, who live a little over an hour away on a good day. His sister and one of the nieces will be there too. Yesterday I made garlic mashed potatoes and green beans amandine to take with us, and Mr. Larimar baked 2 batches of cookies. His parents aren't doing well, so while they are officially hosting, everyone else is taking care of most of the cooking. We've all been looking forward to seeing them.

Larimar

ab_grp

My husband and daughter made the veggie pot pie filling, mashed potatoes, dressing, and stuffed onions yesterday.  Daughter dropped her phone in a pot of water while doing the dishes.  She is thankful that it still works (me too), and I am also thankful that she helped with all the cooking and did the dishes! Dinner will be round two of the menu, which gives us time to actually decorate the tree since we did not do that last year.  Happy Thanksgiving, and safe travels to all who are traveling.

clean

The Big Day (or Black Friday Eve) has arrived!

I hope that everyone has a chance to spend Thanksgiving with the people that you want to be with! 

We are expecting a cold front to come through this afternoon, so I hope that I am not transporting a turkey in the rain, or that the storm does not cause any power issues!

I took the bird out of the fridge.  It is pretty well defrosted, but I have it in a bath of cold water to be sure.

Thanksgiving Vent ...  My bride told me just before bed that the dinner time may be moved.  I was not happy!  Somehow they figure that they will let me know about 3 if we are eating earlier or later!  I reminded her that this bird takes 3 hours to cook.  I asked that IF they wanted it pushed back, WHAT do you want me to do?  Just leave it in the oven an extra half hour???  (That logic is EXACTLY why I am cooking!  The last year her mom cooked she discovered that the bird was at the correct cooked temperature, but that they had not planned to eat for 2 more hours.  The  solution was to 'turn off the oven, but leave the bird in there so it didnt get cold'.   So we will see what today's drama ends up being! 

Hopefully ALL of your Thanksgiving Drama is a de minimis as these!   
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

I remembered who the "crazy MIL at Thanksgiving" poster was on the old Forum, it was oseph.

I just survived round 1 of the Thanksgiving Zooms w/sibs and closely associated others, which went well.

They had waffles and sausage; I had cocoa, quiche and journeycake; I shared bird photos and some of the Ppt (to general interest, we were all raised on local history stuff, so it was fine) and no political blood was shed, so that's all to the good.

Next will be 6 PM-ish Zoom dinner with a friend; in between I'm doing the dishes from brunch, finishing with the prep for dinner, and hopefully finishing the slides I was unable to finish yesterday in between (this will make it possible to share the whole deck with 6 PM friend, who is also an interested party who did some very early work on the topic years ago....and more photos.

Maybe a movie tonight, I've been tracking Marilyn Monroe lately...and tomorrow: NO STORES!!!!

Pax in terra...

M.     
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

Let my wife go to the in-laws.

I just can't handle those crazy people this year.

Watching TV, playing online, thinking about walking the dog.

Very nice.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Talked to crazy family on the phone, which raised my blood pressure. I'm so thankful that I am not trapped in a house listening to people yell and scream about the horrible things going on in the world and blaming a political party for it. I'd much rather stay home with SO and the cats and THAT is exactly what I'm doing. We will have turkey for dinner (around 7pm) and try to have a relaxing day.

OneMoreYear

Just me and SO this year, as SO could not take Friday off from work, and all extended family is at least a 6 hour drive.  SO is in charge of the cooking, while I'm alternating between petting a cat and prepping for the next 2 insanity weeks at work (I'll do the clean-up later). Our nontraditional menu includes Cameroonian chicken, Szechuan eggplant, and Jamaican banana cake, with some more traditional sides thrown in. We may binge some Netflix later.

I hope all are having a wonderful day, however you choose to spend it.