News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

A Salute to the American Family

Started by mahagonny, November 25, 2021, 06:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Happy Thanksgiving to Americans of all 'races'

https://www.breitbart.com/education/2021/11/24/anti-woke-black-leader-post-racial-america-starts-with-two-parent-black-families/

'He [Qualls] invited his audience to observe that many native-born black Americans are "blinded by the tears of anger, mistrust, and misunderstanding," in contrast to the black Americans who have legally immigrated to the United States from the Caribbean Islands and African nations such as Nigeria.

"They earn significantly more than native born black Americans," Qualls explained. "They achieve higher levels of education. And they are living the American Dream that civil rights leaders desired for us."'

>>thanks, Wahoo! I wouldn't have found this heartwarming communication if you hadn't prompted me.

WWUpdate

And I thought I've seen some bizarre threads in my life.

nebo113

Guess his turkey was dry and his gravy curdled.

Wahoo Redux

Glad you could find your war tribe.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

I trust the mods will let me know if the thread posting seems belligerent.

kaysixteen

The stats seem clear that native born blacks do have significantly lower wedlock rates than African/ Afro-Caribbean immigrants.   There are of course a whole host of reasons that this is true, but, like it or not (and most white Americans largely do NOT like it), a goodly percentage of the reason for this is just another legacy of slavery and subsequent persistence of racism.

dismalist

Quote from: kaysixteen on November 25, 2021, 08:28:47 PM
The stats seem clear that native born blacks do have significantly lower wedlock rates than African/ Afro-Caribbean immigrants.   There are of course a whole host of reasons that this is true, but, like it or not (and most white Americans largely do NOT like it), a goodly percentage of the reason for this is just another legacy of slavery and subsequent persistence of racism.

Wedlock and income. Afro-Carribeans were not enslaved?
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on November 25, 2021, 08:35:06 PM

And the fact that the rate of fatherless black homes in the USA has grown since the 1960's, the decade of civil rights legislation and desegregation, and it's now higher than it was in the year of the Tulsa Massacre. So the causal relationship being claimed would need data that is the inverse of what we have to support it.
A growing number of black Americans are stating they reject the 'whitey's fault again' analysis as they prefer to accept and put faith in their own personal agency. They find it liberating. Like this author.

marshwiggle

Quote from: mahagonny on November 26, 2021, 06:32:25 AM
Quote from: dismalist on November 25, 2021, 08:35:06 PM

And the fact that the rate of fatherless black homes in the USA has grown since the 1960's, the decade of civil rights legislation and desegregation, and it's now higher than it was in the year of the Tulsa Massacre. So the causal relationship being claimed would need data that is the inverse of what we have to support it.
A growing number of black Americans are stating they reject the 'whitey's fault again' analysis as they prefer to accept and put faith in their own personal agency. They find it liberating. Like this author.

There are of course a whole host of reasons for the breakdown of black families since the 60's, but, like it or not (and most white progressives  do NOT like it), a goodly percentage of the reason for this is just another legacy of government policies that disincentivized keeping families intact, such as welfare payments to single mothers but not to two-parent families. This made it better for young women to be single mothers (at least on paper) than to have the father in the house if his income was low.

(This is not an unusual kind of problem; any time eligibility for a program has a threshold, strange things will happen near the threshold due to unintended consequences. Another example would be student aid programs that kicks in when parental incomes are below a certain amount. It will create misstatements of income and so on as people just above the cutoff would otherwise be worse off than people just below it.)

It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on November 26, 2021, 06:48:15 AM

There are of course a whole host of reasons for the breakdown of black families since the 60's, but, like it or not (and most white progressives  do NOT like it), a goodly percentage of the reason for this is just another legacy of government policies that disincentivized keeping families intact, such as welfare payments to single mothers but not to two-parent families. This made it better for young women to be single mothers (at least on paper) than to have the father in the house if his income was low.

More than a few of them don't mind. The problems experienced by these black citizens are not theirs, to any great extent, not in the day to day neighborhood home life. Keeping the democratic party in power may be the higher priority. If they are consumers of street drugs, they can drive into the black neighborhood and buy them while not having to live amongst gangs.

mahagonny

Oh I see, MW. You mean they don't like hearing it pointed out. I guess not.

WWUpdate

Quote from: mahagonny on November 25, 2021, 07:00:05 PM

It's not remarkably belligerent per se, but it's a thread that pretends to be a "salute to the American family," begins with a seemingly genuine Thanksgiving greeting to your fellow Americans (weirdly phrased, but OK), and then immediately transitions to, of all things, your racial pet peeve. What a salute. What a heartwarming way to extend holiday greeting to your peers.

Wahoo Redux

What is your purpose on The Fora, mahagonny? 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

Quote from: WWUpdate on November 26, 2021, 03:20:47 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on November 25, 2021, 07:00:05 PM

It's not remarkably belligerent per se, but it's a thread that pretends to be a "salute to the American family," begins with a seemingly genuine Thanksgiving greeting to your fellow Americans (weirdly phrased, but OK), and then immediately transitions to, of all things, your racial pet peeve. What a salute. What a heartwarming way to extend holiday greeting to your peers.

I meant the warm wishes, professor, to you and all of your kin!

At the same time, I am frustrated with the onslaught of negativity about Thanksgiving, America, 'whiteness,' people who advance the stature of Black America by running for office being called 'Uncle Tom' 'The Black face of White Supremacy' and other divisive doom-and-gloom takes on where we are as a culture. things I've regularly been exposed to in the last year. So I did feel prompted to repudiate this negativity in the media, Hollywood, late night TV, etc. with a hopeful message (includes a little scolding, yes, but civilly) from Mr. Kendall Qualls, a guy I admire.

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 26, 2021, 03:41:44 PM
What is your purpose on The Fora, mahagonny? 

If I keep typing and reading I will wean myself off junk food and junk TV addiction!

Besides, there are smart people to learn from here. I do have favorites, yet I am not thrilled with where the influence of academic thinkers is taking our nation lately. Not in all cases.

Sun_Worshiper

This is a really sad thread. I hope Mahagonny didn't spend his whole Thanksgiving day reading and posting this kind of thing on various forums.