News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

How are you feeling about the state of American democracy?

Started by Sun_Worshiper, January 06, 2022, 05:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sun_Worshiper

2024 chatter is just meaningless speculation at this point. That said, I will engage just to say that nominating either Trump or Clinton would be a colossal political blunder for their respective parties.

mamselle

Meanwhile, the journalists and the committee are doing their job:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kOUyWufSN8

That's a sign of democratic processes moving forward.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

Two months later (so I hope I can be forgiven for a double post...):

Good, in that things are discovered through due process, and commented upon by a free press, and processed by a judiciary that is (mostly) staffed by civil servants who aren't (supposed to be) beholden to anyone.

Really upset, in that these findings can come before us as verified fact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih44XPmiZsM

I still suspect Trump has extortionary files on everyone he perceives could ever come up against him, and uses them... NYC DA's anyone?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

We're in a hell of a mess. Someone's going to be on the Supreme Court who plays games when asked 'what is a woman.'
ETA: now it occurs to me -- was she being facetious? As in 'I thought I knew what a woman was, but lately I doubt myself. Graduated from Harvard at the top of my class, served on the Circuit Court but hell...beats me! Can't you ask something easier?'

nebo113

Quote from: mahagonny on March 25, 2022, 06:21:34 PM
We're in a hell of a mess. Someone's going to be on the Supreme Court who plays games when asked 'what is a woman.'
ETA: now it occurs to me -- was she being facetious? As in 'I thought I knew what a woman was, but lately I doubt myself. Graduated from Harvard at the top of my class, served on the Circuit Court but hell...beats me! Can't you ask something easier?'

Sure!  What's a jackass?  Starts with M, ends with y.  Easy peasy.

Parasaurolophus

Do you really think the questioner wasn't playing a game?

Did you all see that Clarence Thomas's wife was directly involved in the botched coup on January 6? I'm trending ever more pessimistic.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Yes. More and more interesting...could provide further tinder for the T-fire...

M.

mahagonny

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 26, 2022, 05:27:34 PM

Do you really think the questioner wasn't playing a game?

As in 'here's your chance to show us you're not a Marxist born again reality denier?' Seems more like easy pitch to me. Although she didn't deliver fully for the radical left. Some might have preferred she had explained '"woman" is just a social construct generated by the desire to oppress.' By suggesting a biologist could have answered the question more competently, she admitted there is a biological answer. (I'm beginning to like her. She thinks on her feet!)
ETA: They might have been thinking, or at least aware of the suggestion, 'let's see what tribe you belong to.' I guess that's a game of sorts. But it is something the progressives have foisted on us.

QuoteDid you all see that Clarence Thomas's wife was directly involved in the botched coup on January 6? I'm trending ever more pessimistic.

I'm not up to speed on that one yet. Was there some abuse of power? Plenty of people have nutty wives. I'm one of them.

mahagonny

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 26, 2022, 05:27:34 PM
Did you all see that Clarence Thomas's wife was directly involved in the botched coup on January 6? I'm trending ever more pessimistic.

Source?

According to the New York Times, 'the Thomases "have been a fiercely close couple for decades" and that Justice Thomas has referred to his wife as his "best friend."'

Wow, stay as sweet as you are, NYT.  Are they going to wish the couple a fiercely happy anniversary? Getting to the heart of the matter I see.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

mamselle

To answer the title question:

Pretty good, at least over the fact that Judge Brown has been confirmed, 53-47:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmiseaKNOBE

M.

mamselle