News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Ethical Dilemma

Started by Hegemony, January 20, 2022, 01:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

The way that this would effect your problem is that IF she is spread too thin, then the student evaluations at YOUR place may well be lower than they should be and THAT is the door to bring out that she is teaching at the CC in violation of the university's contractual provision. 
IF there is any evidence of poor performance at YOUR place, then you can press that in an attempt to derail or delay her promotion. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Caracal

Quote from: clean on January 21, 2022, 04:25:46 PM
The way that this would effect your problem is that IF she is spread too thin, then the student evaluations at YOUR place may well be lower than they should be and THAT is the door to bring out that she is teaching at the CC in violation of the university's contractual provision. 
IF there is any evidence of poor performance at YOUR place, then you can press that in an attempt to derail or delay her promotion.

Although this brings out the problems with the evaluation process. Student evals, in isolation, are a pretty crummy way to judge teaching. I'm an adjunct and even I get observed once a year by someone who also looks at the syllabus, comes to my class and writes up a little report. It isn't exactly a rigorous evaluation, but at least somebody is making sure my classes meet minimum standards. The process at your place not only might allow bad teachers to hang around, but it also could leave people on contracts vulnerable to disgruntled students making false claims.

Cheerful

Deleted.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Hegemony on January 21, 2022, 03:52:04 PM
"This instructor is holding two full-time jobs simultaneously, which is against our rules. But does what I know of her suggest that she's teaching well enough that this should be disregarded? "

This is what concerns me. The rule is only seen as a tool to be used to punish someone for some other transgression. This is how all kinds of stupid rules get created in the first place; the thing that is the real issue is hard to evaluate, so some sort of proxy gets created which is easier to prove and sounds legitimate.

Either the rule about teaching at more than one place is good or it isn't; using it arbitrarily is unfair and dishonest.
It takes so little to be above average.

Sun_Worshiper

Maybe you should pass this info on to a dean to decide what to do about the apparent contract violation, but do not let it affect your assessment of the promotion packet.