News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Note: Suspension

Started by eigen, April 26, 2022, 03:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

But those were functional posts, since they were/are the only way to get the thread to show up on ones "unread" thread on opening.

For example, if I wanted to follow a thread but couldn't post to it right then, and I didn't bookmark it, it would get lost in the matrix of threads and boards, and I am still sometimes unclear on how certain threads are opened on the boards they end up on, so it's not fully transparent and I may not figure out where it went 3 hours later.

The +1 is in lieu of a "like" button system, which this software doesn't provide.

I don't see how letting people briefly register agreement with a position (I usually use a carat, ^, rather than a quote, unless I'm also going to comment on it) takes up much space.

I do however, wonder why whole long articles have to be strung along, one after another (especially when no-one else comments--it becomes a personal bulletin board, which just seems boring), but when I inquired, it was rebuffed, so, fine.

Since I have not yet seen a thread like that that was interesting enough to read through, I just skip them, anyway.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

I'm sure this is well known, but in case it isn't: There is a notify button in the thread view that will allow you to get email notifications when there are new posts to a given thread.  This may or may not address the various reasons that folks have for bookmarking or similar.  I use it when I don't want to post a reply right at the moment or to keep track of an exciting thread that I have no interest in being a part of.  Of course, if no one ever replies again, you'd be out of luck with that approach and back to having to try to find the thread if you did wish to reply.  At least this isn't Facebook and people posting "following dots" when turning on notifications is a clear option.

I appreciate the work of the moderators and was wondering what suspension means.  It sounds temporary.  Is there a particular time period for each "first offense" with automatic reinstatement? It was mentioned that the suspended member no longer appears in the membership list (is this because of the suspension? suspension doesn't rescind membership like a ban might?), but on the member's profile page they still appear to be active.  So does suspension mostly mean not being able to post? I hope not to get suspended myself so am curious about more detail (if it can be shared).  I didn't see the info earlier in the thread but apologize if I missed it.

bacardiandlime

Quote from: ab_grp on May 05, 2022, 01:05:21 PM
I'm sure this is well known, but in case it isn't: There is a notify button in the thread view that will allow you to get email notifications when there are new posts to a given thread.

Yes, this existed on the old fora too. I still don't understand why people wouldn't use it.

mamselle

First I've ever heard of it.

Not sure I want an additional email everytime someone posts to a thread, though...that would really blow up the email box!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

So it was a three month suspension. Began in late April, went through May, June, July, and August. Yup. just three months.

mahagonny

Ended yesterday. Somebody can't count.

Sun_Worshiper

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

Well, at least you went to the trouble to type it. Thanks.

I wonder if the fora traffic has increased in the interim as some expected.

Doubt it.

Wahoo Redux

So, how are you doing, Mahag?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

I wish I could find a minor tranquilizer that doesn't give me the runs and disinhibition.

I have difficulty adjusting to the new era. On the one hand, one hates to feel afraid of being cancelled for expressing themselves. OTOH, expressing oneself can be quite overrated. Doing it just to show that you can doesn't seem purposeful enough.

I certainly don't want to be a white man. Everything's our fault.

Well everyone has shit that they go through. I remember when Wahoo lost his sister to and unfortunate early demise. I'm sorry.

Wahoo Redux

Thanks for the empathy. 

I hope things work out for you.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

jimbogumbo

I sincerely hope you can find some meds that you can tolerate and work well for you. Negotiating all that (from experience) can be exhausting.