Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

expertise

Started by kaysixteen, May 15, 2022, 08:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: Anon1787 on May 16, 2022, 09:15:20 PM
Quote from: apl68 on May 16, 2022, 07:31:49 AM
If he considers himself both a Christian and a libertarian, as that word is typically used in the U.S., then he's got more fundamental problems than not being willing to believe in some kinds of expertise.  The New Testament is abundantly clear that Christians are to consider themselves subject to human authorities, saving only those occasions when the human authorities try to make them do something in direct contradiction to what God wants.  It also makes it clear that we owe many duties to our fellow human beings, especially those less fortunate than ourselves, which libertarianism seems strongly disinclined to recognize.  Libertarian "social" Darwinism is far more inherently Godless than actual biological Darwinism.

As many libertarians would emphasize, statists conflate people having positive moral duties to help others with social engineers who try (and inevitably fail at enormous cost) to immanentize the eschaton via government coercion.

That belongs on a T-shirt. It's far more interesting than any of the other 3 word slogans.
It takes so little to be above average.

apl68

Quote from: Anon1787 on May 16, 2022, 09:15:20 PM
Quote from: apl68 on May 16, 2022, 07:31:49 AM
If he considers himself both a Christian and a libertarian, as that word is typically used in the U.S., then he's got more fundamental problems than not being willing to believe in some kinds of expertise.  The New Testament is abundantly clear that Christians are to consider themselves subject to human authorities, saving only those occasions when the human authorities try to make them do something in direct contradiction to what God wants.  It also makes it clear that we owe many duties to our fellow human beings, especially those less fortunate than ourselves, which libertarianism seems strongly disinclined to recognize.  Libertarian "social" Darwinism is far more inherently Godless than actual biological Darwinism.

As many libertarians would emphasize, statists conflate people having positive moral duties to help others with social engineers who try (and inevitably fail at enormous cost) to immanentize the eschaton via government coercion.

A mistake some politically-involved Christians are making as well.  Me, I don't see any real need to try to immanentize the eschaton at a time when the eschaton shows lots of evidence of moving along briskly on its own.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

apl68

Quote from: kaysixteen on May 16, 2022, 08:27:21 PM
I recall, now that I think on it, that the pastor did let me teach a study on critical thinking and source evaluation several years ago-- I based it on a book, title escapes me but I do have it somewhere, written by Bruce Bartlett-- but, sadly, most of what I was saying just went in one ear and out the other for almost all of the folks.  Critical thinking and source analysis, which I actually taught my students at the old Christian school, to great effect and positive response, seems to be something that mant of their *parents*/ members of parents' generation, seem to be eschewing.  I wish I could get a good book/ periodical/ website/? that teaches 1) the need for such things and 2) how to go about it, authored from an *explicitly evangelical* or at least broadly Christian perspective...

I understand what you would like to do.  Critical thinking skills and a concern for selection of reliable sources of information are important in my field of work as well.  I'm not sure to what extent those are appropriate weapons for a spiritual battle, though.  Some things we can only deal with through much prayer for those involved, and through setting a Christian example before others.  I've spent a lot of years praying that our church's pastor would not fall into any of the weird rabbit holes that seem to have caught so many others.  Thankfully those prayers have been answered. 

Like I said, what this confused "Christian libertarian" really needs is to put in some careful, prayerful study of God's word.  To spend more time seeing what Jesus said and considering its consequences for our lives.  To see what God's priorities are as expressed in the Word, as opposed to what our slick political and religious pundits tell us in their sound bites.  That's the surest defense against error.

For example, the vaccination issue.  Our pastor didn't try to mandate vaccination, but he encouraged it and set the example of being vaccinated himself.  His younger daughter, who is a nurse, tried hard to convince him.  The line of reasoning that worked best with him was that vaccination makes you less likely to spread the illness to others, and reassures others who must be around you, and is therefore the loving thing to do.  And doing what best expresses love for others--as opposed to selfishly insisting on one's own "liberty" to do what one pleases--has always been a consistent theme in his ministry.

His getting vaccinated to set an example in all likelihood saved his life when he caught the Omicron variant and had a bad bout with it.  Setting a Christian example can get you martyred in some parts of the world, but it can also have definite personal benefits.  This following Jesus stuff works!
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: lightning on May 17, 2022, 02:51:26 AM
Don't waste your time with people who selectively reject medical expertise, especially in the medical fields.

It's not that you need to explain information literacy to people like your friend----it's that you cannot explain away the things your friend wants to believe.

For whatever reason, your friend wants to believe that COVID is some sort of conspiracy, and nothing you say to him will break through that wall.  You're better off trying to convince flat-earthers that the world is round or convince UFO nuts that flying saucers are actually airplanes, etc.

This type of behavior is nothing unusual for human nature.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.