News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Ipad Pro or Air

Started by nebo113, August 24, 2022, 03:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebo113

I have a MacBook Air (13 inch screen), Ipad, and Iphone.  I use the Ipad to download and read library books.  MacBook Air cannot be updated and will not run Kindle app for my library books.  And Ipad has badly cracked screen, though it does not yet interfere with readability.

Therefore, as I am retired and don't game or, I am considering either an Ipad Pro or Air as my primary device.  With either, I would add the Smart keyboard and upgrade to 256gb.  Pro has 13 inch screen; Air has 11 inch screen.  Cost difference is @ $500. 

Aside from screen size (with which I am wrestling), what should I consider between these two models as my primary device?

Parasaurolophus

Does one of them have a USB port?
I know it's a genus.

nebo113

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 24, 2022, 04:21:52 PM
Does one of them have a USB port?

Good question.  Thanks.  Will check.

mamselle

I'm PC all the way (in all senses, according to some) so I can't comment but I hope you find the best option for your needs.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Mobius

Quote from: nebo113 on August 24, 2022, 03:49:41 PM
I have a MacBook Air (13 inch screen), Ipad, and Iphone.  I use the Ipad to download and read library books.  MacBook Air cannot be updated and will not run Kindle app for my library books.  And Ipad has badly cracked screen, though it does not yet interfere with readability.

Therefore, as I am retired and don't game or, I am considering either an Ipad Pro or Air as my primary device.  With either, I would add the Smart keyboard and upgrade to 256gb.  Pro has 13 inch screen; Air has 11 inch screen.  Cost difference is @ $500. 

Aside from screen size (with which I am wrestling), what should I consider between these two models as my primary device?

I'd jus get a new MacBook Air if you are considering an iPad Pro. How old is the MacBook Air?

nebo113

Quote from: Mobius on August 25, 2022, 10:51:33 AM
Quote from: nebo113 on August 24, 2022, 03:49:41 PM

I'd jus get a new MacBook Air if you are considering an iPad Pro. How old is the MacBook Air?

2015.  With the Ipad Pro, I can tuck the keyboard back to make it less cumbersome than MacBook Air for reading in bed, which I currently do with my regular old, beaten up Ipad.  Haven't made a decision, yet.

mamselle

Keep the old IPad by the bed, then, and use your new critter elsewhere, on its own terms, maybe?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

nebo113

Quote from: mamselle on August 26, 2022, 07:19:32 AM
Keep the old IPad by the bed, then, and use your new critter elsewhere, on its own terms, maybe?

M.

Goal is to reduce devices from 3 to 2, as well as increase storage/speed, etc.  Leaning toward Ipad Pro but need to navigate keyboard complexity.

jimbogumbo

I would go with the iPad Pro and spend a little extra for both the add on keyboard and the pencil.

nebo113

Quote from: jimbogumbo on August 27, 2022, 08:37:39 AM
I would go with the iPad Pro and spend a little extra for both the add on keyboard and the pencil.

I am definitely leaning toward Ipad Pro with addon keyboard, but don't need the pencil.  I want a keyboard that tucks behind the screen when I am reading in bed and am a bit bewildered by choices....Help appreciated.

AeroProf

Hi Nebo113, Did you eventually go with the MacBook Air or Pro? I'm trying to make that decision now. Will use mostly for reading academic papers.

nebo113

Quote from: AeroProf on December 11, 2022, 10:32:52 PM
Hi Nebo113, Did you eventually go with the MacBook Air or Pro? I'm trying to make that decision now. Will use mostly for reading academic papers.

IPad Pro.  It has compatibility issues with Word.  For academic work, you might want to go with regular MacBook, rather than a tablet.

AeroProf

Thank you, Nebo113. Good to know.

nebo113

Update:  I now own a MacBook Air, after buying the upgraded Ipad Pro. 

The scrolling function of the Ipad Pro made me nauseous and gave me headaches. 

The Ipad Pro I have sold at a discount to a friend.

I am happy with my new MacBook Air.