News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Voting Day in the United States

Started by arcturus, November 08, 2022, 04:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arcturus

Did you vote? If not, why not? If you did, do you expect your candidates to win?

Me: I voted today. There was a steady stream of people at my polling location, but no lines. I do not expect my state-wide candidates to win, as my political persuasion is not favored in my current state, but I do expect my local candidates to win.

mamselle

Mailed mine in yesterday.

Hoping for peace, respect, strong turnout, and a healthy, robust system of voter participation with no violence, especially over the next week.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

EdnaMode

I voted this AM on my way to campus - my Dad would reach down from the great beyond and whack me upside the head if I didn't vote at every opportunity. One of my statewide options was a choice between "Oh, h*ll no!" and "Are you freakin' kidding me?" but for the local races, I think my chosen candidates have a pretty good chance. We'll see. I too hope for a peaceful reaction to the results, both in my state and nationwide.
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

AmLitHist

ALHS and I will go to the polls together after I get home from work (mid-afternoon).  Our governor's and US Senator's races should be easy wins for the incumbents. I did a lot of campaign work for the governor, though he's widely hated in our MAGA part of the state.

mahagonny

I was going to vote, and at first glance it ought to have been quite easy for me, no ID asked for (though I always  carry mine), but then I remembered my wife said she would leave me if I voted for any republicans. Voter suppression!

FishProf

I polled my students this morning.  None (of 12) of them had voted, nor did they intend to.

Two didn't even know it was election day, which is doubly amazing since you have to pass a voting site to get onto campus.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

hmaria1609

The city's public school system is closed today. (Explains all the kids coming with their parents/adult family members to the library) The elementary school up the street is a voting center.

There are places offering freebies and services for the day:
https://wtop.com/elections/2022/11/election-day-deals-donuts-pizza-and-cheap-rides-2/
Scroll past ad breaks to read full article. Posted on WTOP 11/8/22

A run down of DC, MD, and VA (DMV) races and state specific questions on the ballots:
https://wtop.com/local-politics-elections-news/2022/11/election-day-2022-voters-in-dc-md-va-head-to-the-polls/
Scroll past ad breaks to read full article.

Sun_Worshiper

I voted by mail a week or so ago.

I'm in a traditionally red state that has voted blue from time to time in the past. Polling is pretty close, so impossible to predict who will win with any certainty, but if I had to bet I'd put my money on the Republicans.

cathwen

I voted this morning, around 10am.  The polling place was very busy—I've never seen so many people for a midterm election.   I have no idea what that means for either party.  Perhaps one thing bringing people out is the ballot question on early voting, which our (blue) state does not have.

Langue_doc

We could request absentee ballots by checking the box for temporary illness, including Covid. I took mine to the post office a couple of weeks ago.

Our current guv was handed the position on a platter, so to speak, but because of various missteps, her opponent has a good chance of defeating her. The first mistake was appointing a Lieutenant Governor who was then under investigation for federal corruption charges, and who subsequently resigned because he was arraigned on bribery charges. Other missteps soon followed.

traductio

I live in another country, so I vote by absentee ballot. My candidates always lose, and thus it always will be.

But still I vote.

financeguy

dismalist

The district in which I live has only the House member on the ballot.  The district votes 75% Democratic, so I'm not going to vote.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Ruralguy

I voted. I'm in a state with some contentious congressional elections , but my district ain't one of them, unfortunately.
I hope of the people I voted for pulls off some sort of upset, but I kind of doubt it.

I'm not a Democrat, and have voted for a number of Republicans in the past, but the developments of the last 6 years have lead to me swearing off most Republicans.

Its probably not going to be a great night for Dems, but I do hope that if they can't keep Senate, that they at least pull off some surprises (though probably keeping Senate will amount to them pulling off a surprise or two---though there is rather boring way of doing it--keep Georgia, don't lose anything else!)

ab_grp

We requested absentee/mail-in ballots again.  Our state offers a lot of different types of voting opportunities, and I appreciate that.  We delayed too much in filling them out and mailing them (just too much to read up on to do so in an informed way) and wanted to make sure they were received in time, so my husband dropped the ballots off at a locked drop box over the weekend.  I hope my choices won, of course, especially for some of the senior state leadership positions.  Two such incumbents have been under fire from one of the parties for the ways they handled the pandemic and previous elections, but I think they're both great.  We'll see. 

In addition to the thousand campaign mailers and the numerous texts from different factions harassing me to vote here, I also got a bunch from my former state.  I wouldn't have been surprised to have received them on the phone number I still have from that state (though I didn't receive many on that phone at all), but I am not sure how they got my newer number.  In any case, there is a major race going on there that I definitely hope goes in favor of one of the candidates.  The other guy's team sent plenty of texts on his behalf, but I cannot emphasize enough how much I would never, ever vote for him.  Unfortunately, recent events have made it more of a race than it should have been.