Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Voting Day in the United States

Started by arcturus, November 08, 2022, 04:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Anon1787 on November 11, 2022, 09:26:27 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 11, 2022, 07:13:44 AM
These sentiments and rhetoric are exactly why Rs are a threat to democracy and, on an optimistic note, why they have had such an embarrassing showing in these midterms. I sincerely hope that the sane branch of Republican leadership succeeds in marginalizing the lunatics that have taken over their asylum.

Democrats have no standing to complain about a threat to democracy when they decided to boost the very candidates in the Republican primaries that they regard as being a threat to democracy in order to increase their odds of winning in the general election.

I don't approve of that strategy, but it is also ridiculous to blame Democrats for the way Republican politicians chose to run and primary voters choose to vote. If Republicans weren't running a bunch of lunatics in their primaries then that (dangerous) Dem strategy wouldn't have been possible.

And, look, there are plenty of things to criticize Democrats about, but there is nothing close to Trump's efforts to overturn the results of a free and fair election.

mahagonny

These sentiments and rhetoric are exactly why Rs are a threat to democracy and, on an optimistic note, why they have had such an embarrassing showing in these midterms. I sincerely hope that the sane branch of Republican leadership succeeds in marginalizing the lunatics that have taken over their asylum.

Democrats have no standing to complain about a threat to democracy when they decided to boost the very candidates in the Republican primaries that they regard as being a threat to democracy in order to increase their odds of winning in the general election.

To say the very least. One could also ask, why are democrats so worried about losing a nation they have so little love for?

Kron3007, if you are interested in what I'm thinking about wrt race in the USA, none are original. My inspiration comes from Walter E. Williams, Shelby Steele, Thomas Sowell, Glenn Loury, Coleman Hughes, John McWhorter, Carol Swain, Jason Riley, Morgan Freeman. Stuff you can find easily if it interests you. I feel fortunate to be learning from these folks.
Cheers, Mahag.
ETA: I was made aware some time ago by Robin D'Angelo that she thinks it's very hard for white people to talk about race. She considers this a problem. If/when people do talk about race more though, as prompted by D'Angelo, it may be that a variety of ideas show up. (Diversity of viewpoint).

ciao_yall

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 11, 2022, 09:38:20 AM

I don't approve of that strategy, but it is also ridiculous to blame Democrats for the way Republican politicians chose to run and primary voters choose to vote. If Republicans weren't running a bunch of lunatics in their primaries then that (dangerous) Dem strategy wouldn't have been possible.

And, look, there are plenty of things to criticize Democrats about, but there is nothing close to Trump's efforts to overturn the results of a free and fair election.

Not to mention the Russians helping the R's by pushing Jill Stein, Bernie Sanders, and probably other divisive candidates.

Not saying their supporters were not genuine, just that Russian meddling was designed to draw attention and support from Hillary Clinton and at least discouraging her D supporters.

Did the R's know about it? Yep. And they appreciated the help.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Anon1787 on November 10, 2022, 08:21:06 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 10, 2022, 07:40:01 PM
But specifically who are the "craziest" dems?  Who do you refer to?

For starters, Stacey "I won't concede the 2018 election because of [baseless claims of] voter suppression" Abrams (though not in a safe seat), Bernie Sanders & AOC (populist demagogues like Trump, but on the left), and antisemites Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib.

Do any of these even come close to Marjorie Taylor Greene or DeSantis? 

No, these folks have their points of view but are nowhere near the lunacy of the contemporary right.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Wahoo Redux

Conspiracy theory generated from frustration.

mahagonny

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 11, 2022, 11:05:05 AM
Quote from: Anon1787 on November 10, 2022, 08:21:06 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 10, 2022, 07:40:01 PM
But specifically who are the "craziest" dems?  Who do you refer to?

For starters, Stacey "I won't concede the 2018 election because of [baseless claims of] voter suppression" Abrams (though not in a safe seat), Bernie Sanders & AOC (populist demagogues like Trump, but on the left), and antisemites Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib.

Do any of these even come close to Marjorie Taylor Greene or DeSantis? 

No, these folks have their points of view but are nowhere near the lunacy of the contemporary right.

Add ayanna pressley, who says 'we don't need any more black faces that are not black voices.' As if an entire race has made her a spokesperson. Just on sheer arrogance, it's stunning.

Kron3007 - another great thinker of our time is Bob Woodson. (Not enough time the read!)

Wahoo Redux

Still not the same level of insanity as seen on the right.

Anon1787

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 11, 2022, 11:06:34 AM

Hardly. It has been a tactic used by Democrats for a while. It's political hardball under normal circumstances, but if they believe that the candidates that they supported in the primaries constitute a threat to democracy, then they're playing with fire. From an establishment Beltway media source:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/09/12/democrats-interfere-republican-primaries/

Anon1787

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 11, 2022, 09:38:20 AM

I don't blame Democrats for creating the fire. I blame them for adding fuel to the fire for their own political advantage.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Anon1787 on November 11, 2022, 12:45:39 PM

Hardly. It has been a tactic used by Democrats for a while. It's political hardball under normal circumstances, but if they believe that the candidates that they support in the primaries constitute a threat to democracy, then they're playing with fire. From an establishment Beltway media source:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/09/12/democrats-interfere-republican-primaries/

Paywalled.  But again, we have conservatives refusing to look at themselves and their behavior.  Again, we have conservatives simply finding some reason to blame the Democrats for something. 

No political party or orientation is pristine, but there is simply no way to compare the insanity of the contemporary conservative psyche to anything except the worst movements of human history.

ciao_yall

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 11, 2022, 01:03:14 PM

Hardly. It has been a tactic used by Democrats for a while. It's political hardball under normal circumstances, but if they believe that the candidates that they support in the primaries constitute a threat to democracy, then they're playing with fire. From an establishment Beltway media source:

Paywalled.  But again, we have conservatives refusing to look at themselves and their behavior.  Again, we have conservatives simply finding some reason to blame the Democrats for something. 

No political party or orientation is pristine, but there is simply no way to compare the insanity of the contemporary conservative psyche to anything except the worst movements of human history.

I blame voters for falling for this stuff.

And it's not new - I remember reading in my elementary school US History class about elections in the 1800's and thinking "Wow, those people are kind of nutty." So, not much has changed.

Anon1787

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on November 11, 2022, 01:03:14 PM

The article is easily accessible using archive.ph if you don't have access, not that I really expect any evidence to pierce your own ideological blinders.

mamselle

Ilhan Omar, a Somali-American, has come down at least as hard, if not harder, on various Arabic groups, countries, and governments for human rights violations and atrocities, as on Israeli policies and actions--including some with which not even all Israelis are comfortable.

I don't think that can be constituted as "anti-Semitic" in general.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Anon1787 on November 11, 2022, 01:32:52 PM
I really expect any evidence to pierce your own ideological blinders.

Right out of the conservative playbook for avoidance.  I just said "no one is pristine."  That didn't touch your blinders, huh?  The Dems will misbehave, as all human beings will.  But they have a long way to go before they begin threatening the peaceful transference of power of pretending microorganisms are a political ploy.

Keep the buck passing!  It is wearing thin.

P.S.-----Did not find it in the archive.

mahagonny

Wahoo and ciao-all:

Guess how many balls am I holding in my underpants at this time? Take as much time as you like.

-Prof Mahag, who is officially non-binary and can get you fired if you say otherwise