News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Voting Day in the United States

Started by arcturus, November 08, 2022, 04:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

David Hogg (School shooting survivor, activist, and now in college) observed the other day that the new generation of voters have all been raised with classroom lockdown drills as a matter of course.

Invited to participate in a roundtable on the issues of gun violence, he and other young invitees (nearly all white, middle-class) immediately asked to include friends in their movement--and brought along youth of color from less privileged schools and neighborhoods where the idea of 'lockdown' could not obtain because it was literally their whole living space.

All were strongly in favor of gun control and determined to see it through.

Another great part of young voters, animated by Dobbs, floated the Democratic vote in several states, as well--and they, too, in interviews, were articulate, with a range of backgrounds, as able and thoughtful contributors to the conversation.

A wise party leader would be reaching out to those folks right this minute, engaging their help in canvassing for anti-NRA petitions, getting them involved in local and regional drives to see SCOTUS reform, etc.

Maxwell Frost (D-FL, Gen-Z, 25 y.o.) just won a House seat.

I was never so proud of the up-and coming generation (whom we all teach) as when I saw those interviews and announcements over the past week.

That 'wide tent' is spreading itself, at least in one camp, as the kids come creeping under the tent flaps, seems to me.

Start teaching them acrobatics, say I.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Anon1787

Quote from: mahagonny on November 13, 2022, 10:56:22 AM
And how long can the democrats pick up votes by making it patriotic to hate the Supreme Court? That was quite a trick.

The Progressives ("three generations of imbeciles are enough") and FDR ("switch in time to save nine") managed to do quite well when it suited their political goals.

dismalist

Quote from: Anon1787 on November 13, 2022, 11:57:11 AM
And how long can the democrats pick up votes by making it patriotic to hate the Supreme Court? That was quite a trick.

The Progressives ("three generations of imbeciles are enough") and FDR ("switch in time to save nine") managed to do quite well when it suited their political goals.

FDR famously lost his court packing enterprise in 1937, even though he had a >2/3 Democratic majority in both houses. The long-lasting Democratic control of the Supreme Court occurred because FDR served four terms.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

All nine of the Warren Court were appointed by Eisenhower and Truman. Then Kennedy got some appointments.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mamselle on November 13, 2022, 11:46:03 AM
David Hogg (School shooting survivor, activist, and now in college) observed the other day that the new generation of voters have all been raised with classroom lockdown drills as a matter of course.

Invited to participate in a roundtable on the issues of gun violence, he and other young invitees (nearly all white, middle-class) immediately asked to include friends in their movement--and brought along youth of color from less privileged schools and neighborhoods where the idea of 'lockdown' could not obtain because it was literally their whole living space.

All were strongly in favor of gun control and determined to see it through.

Another great part of young voters, animated by Dobbs, floated the Democratic vote in several states, as well--and they, too, in interviews, were articulate, with a range of backgrounds, as able and thoughtful contributors to the conversation.

A wise party leader would be reaching out to those folks right this minute, engaging their help in canvassing for anti-NRA petitions, getting them involved in local and regional drives to see SCOTUS reform, etc.

Maxwell Frost (D-FL, Gen-Z, 25 y.o.) just won a House seat.

I was never so proud of the up-and coming generation (whom we all teach) as when I saw those interviews and announcements over the past week.

That 'wide tent' is spreading itself, at least in one camp, as the kids come creeping under the tent flaps, seems to me.

M.

I completely agree! And, so does Alexandra Petri!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/11/12/republicans-raise-voting-age-satire/

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on November 13, 2022, 12:26:52 PM
All nine of the Warren Court were appointed by Eisenhower and Truman. Then Kennedy got some appointments.

The Warren Court:

--Hugo Black was FDR's appointee;
--Stanley reed  was FDR's;
--Felix Frankfurter was FDR's;
--William O Douglas was FDR's;
--Robert Jackson was FDR's;
--Harold Burton [1945] was Harry Truman's;
--Toma Clark [1949] was Harry Truman's;
--Sherman Minton [1949] was Harry Truman's;

and Earl Warren [1953] was Dwight Eisenhower's appointee.

Five FDR appointees that lasted into Truman's, indeed Eisenhower's, presidency. Not bad! Beats Trump by 40% percent! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on November 13, 2022, 12:45:55 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on November 13, 2022, 12:26:52 PM

The Warren Court:

--Hugo Black was FDR's appointee;
--Stanley reed  was FDR's;
--Felix Frankfurter was FDR's;
--William O Douglas was FDR's;
--Robert Jackson was FDR's;
--Harold Burton [1945] was Harry Truman's;
--Toma Clark [1949] was Harry Truman's;
--Sherman Minton [1949] was Harry Truman's;

and Earl Warren [1953] was Dwight Eisenhower's appointee.

Five FDR appointees that lasted into Truman's, indeed Eisenhower's, presidency. Not bad! Beats Trump by 40% percent! :-)

Here is where I was looking. It suggests that FDR had 9, DDE had 5 and HST had 4:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_presidents_of_the_United_States_by_judicial_appointments

Anon1787

Quote from: dismalist on November 13, 2022, 12:21:51 PM

FDR famously lost his court packing enterprise in 1937, even though he had a >2/3 Democratic majority in both houses. The long-lasting Democratic control of the Supreme Court occurred because FDR served four terms.

The threat of court-packing was enough to induce the "switch in time to save nine," so enacting it wasn't necessary. Those Democrats today who want to undermine judicial independence by packing the Court are threatening democracy too.

Quote from: mamselle on November 13, 2022, 11:46:03 AM

M.

Yes, more politicized teaching is just what we need and won't generate more backlash.

mahagonny

QuoteUnfortunately, others figured out that angry White racists were super reliable voters and decided to use Trump to get them all excited, doubling down on the MAGA message.

Curious about a few things. Which of the Trump administration's policy decisions enacted during his term were white racist, or the most white racist, in your view?
Second, if a black racist want to vote for Raphael Warnock, does Warnock tell him not to?
If a white racist wants to vote for Trump, is that proof that he, Trump, is a white racist who seeks power for racist ends?
ETA: Who votes the way they do because they are angry? Just democrats, just repubs, or anyone at all?
Do you have any theories about why DJT got more black vote than the republican candidates before him and also why he was able to get even more in 2020 than in 2016?

Ruralguy

You obviously have a response ready to anyone who answers your question. So lets just please skip the antics.
Please just state your opinion.

dismalist

Quote from: Anon1787 on November 13, 2022, 01:14:42 PM
Quote from: dismalist on November 13, 2022, 12:21:51 PM

The threat of court-packing was enough to induce the "switch in time to save nine," so enacting it wasn't necessary. Those Democrats today who want to undermine judicial independence by packing the Court are threatening democracy too.

The threat must be credible, and Roosevelt's clearly wasn't.  But threats like this only work if the justices don't have intestinal fortitude. In cases like this, where a small number of people decide, personality matters.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: Ruralguy on November 13, 2022, 01:32:42 PM
You obviously have a response ready to anyone who answers your question. So lets just please skip the antics.

My opinion is Trump tried his best while in office to improve life in the USA for black people. With decent success too.
My opinion of race baiting dems, if and when I encounter them, here and elsewhere -- you don't want to know.

(keeping it simple)

mahagonny

con't

I do have some level of interest in what people post here though, so I may ask questions. If they annoy you, I'm terribly sorry. Someone can always decline to answer if they are annoyed or if they know they don't have an answer, and I'd consider that the right choice. The questions are interesting.

ciao_yall

Quote from: mahagonny on November 13, 2022, 01:44:28 PM
Quote from: Ruralguy on November 13, 2022, 01:32:42 PM

My opinion is Trump tried his best while in office to improve life in the USA for black people. With decent success too.
My opinion of race baiting dems, if and when I encounter them, here and elsewhere -- you don't want to know.

(keeping it simple)

Yes. Because Black people don't want to vote. Or they just like standing in really long lines.

mahagonny

It could be that people need a nudge. Donna Brazile thinks so.
"It used to take courage for Black people to vote. Thanks to the courage of those who did, today it simply takes commitment.

The website Vote411.org, run by the nonpartisan League of Women Voters, has information on where and how you can vote. If you experience any problems, please call (866) OUR-VOTE.

Don't squander the precious right to vote that was denied to Black people for so much of American history — a right that an earlier generation fought so hard to achieve and sometimes died for. Don't just complain about our country's problems to your family and friends. Vote for candidates who will make things better. Stand in your power and proudly vote this Nov. 8."