Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Voting Day in the United States

Started by arcturus, November 08, 2022, 04:23:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on November 17, 2022, 02:21:54 PM
Quote from: dismalist on November 16, 2022, 06:59:03 PM
Looks like the Republicans got the House. Here is Reuters https://www.reuters.com/world/us/republicans-one-seat-away-winning-house-us-midterm-vote-2022-11-16/

The headline laments divided government. I'd bet on gridlock, which I wholeheartedly welcome!

Cheers!

A dissenting economic-based opinion:https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/17/opinions/midterm-elections-us-economy-zandi/index.html

Oh, pshaw! There won't be a big fiscal expansion or contraction, which is fine, while the Federal Reserve does it's thing with interest rate, which is important and has nothing to do with the government in the immediate future.

More fundamentally, all this economic claptrap from journalists appears to believe that we are in a Great Depression, and that macro policy is what matters. We are not in a Great Depression!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on November 17, 2022, 02:30:17 PM

More fundamentally, all this economic claptrap from journalists appears to believe that we are in a Great Depression, and that macro policy is what matters. We are not in a Great Depression!

The link I posted was essentially quotes from a Moody's analyst though. Not a journalist.

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on November 17, 2022, 02:36:58 PM
Quote from: dismalist on November 17, 2022, 02:30:17 PM

The link I posted was essentially quotes from a Moody's analyst though. Not a journalist.

Moody's analysts are trying to make money. It looks to me like merely blabbing about these things is sufficient. Maybe it's just entertainment.

I repeat: We are not in a Great Depression.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on November 16, 2022, 06:59:03 PM
Looks like the Republicans got the House. Here is Reuters https://www.reuters.com/world/us/republicans-one-seat-away-winning-house-us-midterm-vote-2022-11-16/

The headline laments divided government. I'd bet on gridlock, which I wholeheartedly welcome!

Cheers!

'A good day in government isn't getting a good thing done. It's preventing a bad thing from being done.' - Bob Dole

Pelosi all done. Where's my martini shaker?

Sun_Worshiper

Republicans in the House getting right to it:

"Monday, right-wing lawmakers including Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia extracted a promise that their leaders would investigate Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the Justice Department for their treatment of defendants jailed in connection with the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol."

I'm sure this is exactly what the median voter wants.

mahagonny

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 17, 2022, 05:18:10 PM
Republicans in the House getting right to it:

"Monday, right-wing lawmakers including Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia extracted a promise that their leaders would investigate Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the Justice Department for their treatment of defendants jailed in connection with the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol."

I'm sure this is exactly what the median voter wants.

No, they want more well known racist black violent career criminals released on $1000 cash or no cash bail so they can drive their SUV into crowd of white people a week after running over a relative with that same vehicle, causing seven fatalities and dozens of injuries. And then they want to read the press and wokeademics describing the massacre as 'an out-of-control vehicle accident.' And that way we know we are striving for equity (fairness). Waukesha, WI

mahagonny

Langue_doc

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on November 17, 2022, 05:31:47 PM
they want more well known racist black violent career criminals released on $1000 cash or no cash bail so they can drive their SUV into crowd of white people

True colors showing here, my poor friend Mahag?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Sun_Worshiper

Mahagonny, get help. I mean that sincerely.

apl68

Again, I'm glad that the voting, whatever the results, went as smoothly as it did.  That's a great relief right there.  Hopefully future elections will occur at a lower temperature.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: apl68 on November 18, 2022, 07:34:00 AM
Again, I'm glad that the voting, whatever the results, went as smoothly as it did.  That's a great relief right there.  Hopefully future elections will occur at a lower temperature.

That's up to the GOP.  MTG is already frothing about investigations and impeachments.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Puget

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 16, 2022, 08:32:16 PM
Seems like this is an optimal political outcome for Biden:

Dems won't be able to pass anything that the electorate would see as too far out there, but Biden and Schumer can still stack the judiciary in a way that will make the base happy, while maybe passing some bipartisan legislation here and there. In the meantime, Rs in the house will constantly remind the electorate how crazy they are, taking brief breaks from that to fight with one other. And even if McCarthy is somehow able to keep his colleagues from acting on their own worst impulses (unlikely), Trump will be in full swing.

Biden really couldn't ask for a better set-up for the 2024 election (assuming he plans to run).

Yep, Rs will have the mirror image of the narrow majority Ds have had for the past 2 years, and it was only the remarkable caucus wrangling skills of Speaker Pelosi that made it possible to do anything with a narrow majority in a big tent. To put it mildly, McCarthy is no Pelosi, and a lot his members are running around naked outside the tent.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: apl68 on November 18, 2022, 07:34:00 AM

Agreed. This was a good election, all things considered: Election deniers lost and, in most cases, conceded, there was no political violence and little voter intimidation, and turnout was high, suggesting that policies that many considered to be voter suppression did not have that effect.