Hamline U. Lecturer Showed a Painting of the Prophet Muhammad. She Lost Her Job

Started by simpleSimon, January 09, 2023, 03:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Mobius

Hamline isn't even in the top 100, despite a high-profile incident.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Mobius on February 02, 2023, 08:00:09 PM
Hamline isn't even in the top 100, despite a high-profile incident.

True, but now Hamline is internationally famous for the wrong reasons.

Wahoo Redux

When liberal institutions fail us: "Envious reversal" and the Hamline University debacle

Everywhere we look, we're being failed by institutions that are "supposed" to protect us — and not just those, like the police, that progressives have good reason to distrust.  Take the recent example of Hamline University in Minnesota, which firing an adjunct art professor, Erika López Prater, for showing her class a famous medieval Islamic painting of the Prophet Muhammad. Hamline failed both the professor and its Muslim students, though in different ways.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Hibush

An update on the situation.
López-Prater has accepted a visiting instructor position at Macalaster College in St. Paul.
She filed a lawsuit against Hamline in county court. The university had it moved to Federal court, which she did not want.  So she asked the court to dismiss the lawsuit so that they could refile in county court. I don't know why county court is preferable, but it does seem like Hamline is trying to make life difficult and expensive.

Langue_doc

Glad to hear that the instructor has a job and that she isn't backing down. I'm curious as to why the university prefers the federal court as opposed to the county court.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Langue_doc on March 07, 2023, 05:44:55 AM
Glad to hear that the instructor has a job and that she isn't backing down. I'm curious as to why the university prefers the federal court as opposed to the county court.

I have no idea about the legal angles, but is it possible it would reduce the amount of local publicity, which may be more harmful to them if their potential audience is mostly local?
It takes so little to be above average.

apl68

Quote from: Langue_doc on March 07, 2023, 05:44:55 AM

Maybe it's nothing more than a ploy to slow down and complicate the litigation, in hopes that she'll get worn down and give up.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Langue_doc

The latest on the Hamline controversy:

QuoteHamline University's President Announces Retirement After Prophet Muhammad Controversy
Fayneese S. Miller found herself in a fierce debate over academic freedom and Islamophobia, after an art history lecturer lost her job for showing images of the prophet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/03/us/hamline-university-prophet-president-fayneese-miller.html

marshwiggle

Quote from: Langue_doc on April 04, 2023, 05:38:41 AM

QuoteHamline University's President Announces Retirement After Prophet Muhammad Controversy
Fayneese S. Miller found herself in a fierce debate over academic freedom and Islamophobia, after an art history lecturer lost her job for showing images of the prophet.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/03/us/hamline-university-prophet-president-fayneese-miller.html

I guess if she's no longer in the position, they can't ask her to apologize if they lose the lawsuit.
It takes so little to be above average.

secundem_artem

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 04, 2023, 06:36:33 AM

I guess if she's no longer in the position, they can't ask her to apologize if they lose the lawsuit.

On the bright side, at least nobody was forced to look at the pee pee of the statue of David.  The pearl clutching would have been too much to deal with.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

dismalist

Quote from: secundem_artem on April 04, 2023, 07:24:01 AM
Quote from: marshwiggle on April 04, 2023, 06:36:33 AM

On the bright side, at least nobody was forced to look at the pee pee of the statue of David.  The pearl clutching would have been too much to deal with.

Statue of David in Florence? Look at Mannekin Pis in Brussels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCE8HezwqP4
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli