News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

tattoos

Started by kaysixteen, September 16, 2023, 10:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaysixteen

It is correct that WM store managers make a ton of money, a 6-figure starting *salary* and the potential to earn even more than this in annual bonuses.   Even the starting wage for the lowest-ranked salaried asst. manager is indeed north of 50k, and again with the potential for real bonuses.  As a corporation, WM's compensation levels are extremely pyramidical-- the notorious extremely starvation-wage-esque comp levels are only for clock punchers, even though these do most of the actual hard work.  But the managers do have to do something in exchange for their high pay, and one of those somethings is indeed to confront disruptive and dangerous customers.

So now we get to the neo-Nazi scumbags, whose attire, whether cloth or tatt, creates the real possibility for violent reactions, and makes decent people, esp Jews and blacks, have to fear when they themselves are in the store.   Of course, this is true for not only decent customers, but staff who actually have to serve such scumbags in close proximity.   Put simply, your right to swing your fist around in the air ends where my nose starts.   This is not really a close call.   But sadly it often is (WM has occasionally ejected neo-Nazis, but usually tolerates them), because WM's biz model is to essentially tolerate, even roll out the red carpet in certain communities, for an extremely low lowest-common-denominator crowd, usually because mgmt seems to assume that decent customers, liking the low prices, will tolerate this.

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

apl68

Even rough and uncouth people need a place to shop.  And in a rural area, where the population can support only a limited number of shopping options, there's less scope for people to sort themselves out so that they aren't required to be in proximity with those who aren't like them.  Generally different kinds of people seem to get along pretty well with each other, despite efforts in some quarters to portray rural areas as populated by violent morons.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Caracal

Quote from: apl68 on September 18, 2023, 07:47:54 AM
Quote from: fishbrains on September 17, 2023, 06:30:10 AMBruh, it's Walmart. I wouldn't be looking too hard at anyone's tattoos.

The shirt would bother me more than the tattoo for some reason. I guess, to me, a bad tattoo indicates a bad decision from the past whereas a t-shirt indicates a current bad decision in progress.

That's kind of how I feel about it.  I personally feel about tattoos in general like I suspect Kay does.  To me any kind of tattoo looks like a bad decision.  I think the proliferation of them is not a good sign in our society, and that a great many people getting them will end up having cause for regret.  And not all of them will be able to have them removed.

There are always things about younger people as a group that strike older people as bizarre and problematic. Often, this is just because it can be really hard to process the way in which the meanings of cultural or fashion choices change as they become more mainstream. Because the thing feels unfamiliar and odd, we tend to become obsessed with the part of it that seems different and overlook the parts of it that are actually pretty familiar.

I see a lot of focus on the permanence of tattoos, which is the most obvious difference between a tattoo and a hair style or clothing. I don't have any tattoos, but I know a lot of people who do. Most actually put a lot of thought into it and don't have any regret. I know a few people who got something when they were younger that they think is now pretty silly, but they are more amused by their younger self than filled with regret. I suppose it helps that these aren't tattoos of dragons on their face, but I really don't see many people with tattoos that are impossible to hide.

But it really is just a cultural change, tattoos are so normal now, that even a slightly regrettable one is just not that big a deal to anyone.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on September 18, 2023, 11:26:09 AMI'm amazed that the tattoo fad is still a fad. 

In and of themselves, tattoos are not bad.  I've never wanted one, but that's me. Tattoos may be here to stay.

In a few decades, how they'll look on 80 year olds will be interesting.
It takes so little to be above average.

nebo113

Oh good grief.  Ya'lls obsession with tattoos is just silly, verging on self-righteous "I'm better than you because my skin is not inked."  Get over it.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 26, 2023, 12:46:26 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on September 18, 2023, 11:26:09 AMI'm amazed that the tattoo fad is still a fad. 

In and of themselves, tattoos are not bad.  I've never wanted one, but that's me. Tattoos may be here to stay.

True.  I still don't think the tat-generations will regret them.  Tats are just part of their culture.  I'm boggled, but I am also middle-aged, and being boggled by kids is a big part of being middle aged in Western culture.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

kaysixteen

Random points:

1) I certainly do not live in a rural area, but rather in a slimy rusty city, loaded with poverty and drugs, and tatted up scumbags.
2) I get that tatting up has become very much more common amongst Millennials and Zers, but whether or not that is a good thing, but many of you have probably not seen a) tatts on places that just cannot be covered up, and b) unacceptable tatts, such as 'f*ck you' (asterisk mine) on one's hands.  And then there is
3) Beyond unacceptable.  Such as swastikas and SS runes.  I am neither black nor Jewish, and I know this myself.  I suppose you could say to those WW customers (and staffers) who either are black or Jewish, 'tough patooties', but, well...

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on September 26, 2023, 01:56:43 PM

True.  I still don't think the tat-generations will regret them.  Tats are just part of their culture.  I'm boggled, but I am also middle-aged, and being boggled by kids is a big part of being middle aged in Western culture.

Here's an interesting article:
The Most Surprising Tattoo Removal Statistics And Trends in 2023

QuoteTattoos have become increasingly popular in recent years, with an estimated 45 million Americans having at least one tattoo. But not everyone is happy with their body art – approximately 23% of people in the United States regret getting a tattoo and 11% have tried to remove or cover it up.

36% of people between the ages of 18 and 29 have at least one tattoo.

The global tattoo removal market is expected to reach $4.8 billion by 2023.

The number of tattoo removal treatments in the United States increased by 32% between 2011 and 2018.

92% of men with tattoos have considered tattoo removal.

That last one is staggering.

fishbrains

Quote from: marshwiggle on September 27, 2023, 05:28:08 AM

Quote92% of men with tattoos have considered tattoo removal.

Well, it is a little awkward only dating women with the same name as your ex.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

marshwiggle

Quote from: fishbrains on September 27, 2023, 05:34:53 AM

Quote92% of men with tattoos have considered tattoo removal.

Well, it is a little awkward only dating women with the same name as your ex.

:)

Caracal

QuoteTattoos have become increasingly popular in recent years, with an estimated 45 million Americans having at least one tattoo. But not everyone is happy with their body art – approximately 23% of people in the United States regret getting a tattoo and 11% have tried to remove or cover it up.

The number of tattoo removal treatments in the United States increased by 32% between 2011 and 2018.

Those numbers don't really make sense. I would assume they are drawn from different surveys, but they can't all be right. If 91 percent of men with tattoos had considered tattoo removal, wouldn't more than 23 percent of people regret their tattoos?

marshwiggle

Quote from: Caracal on September 27, 2023, 06:28:15 AM

Those numbers don't really make sense. I would assume they are drawn from different surveys, but they can't all be right. If 91 percent of men with tattoos had considered tattoo removal, wouldn't more than 23 percent of people regret their tattoos?

They have links at the end of the article to all of their sources.

Two statistics later in the article:
Quote75% of those that sought tattoo removal did so to feel more employable.

The most common reason for tattoo removal is regret (39%).

Those last two might explain it. If a lot of men thought their tattoos were a problem for employment, even if they themselves thought they were fine, then they may consider removing them.

61% of the removals were NOT for regret. (Of course, it means the definition of "regret" is a bit nuanced, if it doesn't include wanting to change something for utilitarian reasons.)

EdnaMode

I've been reading this with interest and finally decided to comment. I have tattoos, didn't get my first one until I was in my early 30s. Only one of mine can be seen if I'm wearing a sleeveless shirt, and I often do. My brother, who works in corporate banking, wears a suit and tie pretty much every day, has sleeve tattoos from the elbow up, all over his chest and back, and a few on his legs. None of them can be seen at work. My person works in IT, he has full sleeves, from a couple inches above his wrists all the way up his arms, across his chest and back, and his legs are covered. He always wears long sleeves at work and none of his tattoos can be seen. He also has waist length hair that he always has braided or in a bun. We are all around 50 years old plus or minus. I don't regret any of mine, my brother doesn't either, and neither does my partner but he does have one from when he was younger he wants covered or redone just because it's fading quite a bit. All of us know that we work in relatively conservative environments and not everyone is accepting of tattoos so we choose to have them in places where they can be hidden when we deem it necessary.

My hairstylist, on the other hand, is absolutely covered in ink, has facial tattoos, facial piercings, and the last time I had my hair done, he had a hot pink mohawk. That's not a look I would expect to see in an engineering professor, a corporate banker, or most of the people I know who work in IT. But in a hairstylist? Not so unusual. And he's around 40 years old.

I've seen tattoos that are racist, sexist, tacky, poorly drawn, and in many other ways offensive. I've also seen clothing I find offensive, and heard many, many things I find offensive. I'm not going to confront someone over it. I've also watched some of those "so you have a bad tattoo" shows on streaming, and goodness gracious, there's a LOT of bad tattoo work out there that I can see why someone would want to get rid of or cover up. 
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

marshwiggle

Quote from: EdnaMode on September 27, 2023, 07:27:06 AMI've been reading this with interest and finally decided to comment. I have tattoos, didn't get my first one until I was in my early 30s. Only one of mine can be seen if I'm wearing a sleeveless shirt, and I often do. My brother, who works in corporate banking, wears a suit and tie pretty much every day, has sleeve tattoos from the elbow up, all over his chest and back, and a few on his legs. None of them can be seen at work. My person works in IT, he has full sleeves, from a couple inches above his wrists all the way up his arms, across his chest and back, and his legs are covered. He always wears long sleeves at work and none of his tattoos can be seen.

Just out of curiosity, were those choices of location, (i.e. places that could be covered by regular clothing), on purpose?  I'd be fascinated to know how many people who get tattoos make that decision up front. (I'd guess those who do would be less likely to regret them.)