News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Thanksgiving 2023

Started by Langue_doc, November 09, 2023, 06:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

QuoteI perfectly cut off the breast so slice it and my Brother in law took 2 forks and shredded it!

I would have bopped said individual on the head with a rolling pin or other handy object.

eigen

Late to this, but back to my pre-COVID tradition of hosting a big dinner for students who aren't able to go home. Looking forward to it! Always a fun time.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

FishProf

Class of six students today.  Half have already begged off attending today.

That's too bad.  We are playing a game today for the easiest lab points of the semester.

Yes, that was intentional.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

apl68

Quote from: eigen on November 20, 2023, 02:23:40 PMLate to this, but back to my pre-COVID tradition of hosting a big dinner for students who aren't able to go home. Looking forward to it! Always a fun time.

That sounds like a great tradition.

Heading home tomorrow.  Looking forward to it.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

clean

Anyone reconsidering their travel plans from the storms predicted this week?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

AmLitHist

Staying home.  Just spouse and youngest daughter.  I made pies, sweet potato casserole, scalloped corn, and fixed all the dressing mix-ins this morning; all I have to do tomorrow is put the boneless turkey breast in to roast and put the sides in to bake. I had a larger bone-in turkey breast in the freezer for awhile, so I put it in to roast now; I'll cut and package it up for other uses later today.

If not for ALHS and daughter, I'd prefer to have a PBJ and do nothing tomorrow. But I hope all here who celebrate, travel, and visit have a good day. I'm not anti-holiday; they just aren't my thing (probably largely because growing up and when our girls were little, my mom insisted we were all going to have a by-God-happy-Thanksgiving/merry Christmas if it killed us).

clean

I put the turkey in the refrigerator on Sunday.  It was feeling pretty solid last night!  Today it was still icy.  Tonight, if it is not showing significant signs of being defrosted, I will do the water bath defrosting method to give it a boost.  Id rather have it fully defrosted tonight than be worrying about it in the morning. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

Not going anywhere or doing anything which suits me just fine. Thanksgiving has never been a favorite holiday, as a vegetarian who doesn't eat or  dislikes both most of the traditional dishes (except pie), and football.

Passover takes its place as the travel home no matter what, cook for days and gather all the people holiday in my family.

So tomorrow is working from home on a grant (the bliss of uninterrupted writing time!), in my cozy spot in front of the fire with the cats, and eating pumpkin pie. Sounds about perfect.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

We're staying home to avoid family drama. The standard TG fare will be present: turkey, gravy, dressing (cornbread), mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, something green (salad or peas), cranberry relish, pumpkin pie.

ciao_yall

And... our host's houseguest got COVID so we decided not to go over there, despite being vaxxed. Apparently the overall vax rate is low and we don't want to risk bringing it back to our big party which is Friday Leftover Surprise.

So that's fine, actually. Can relax and prepare.

eigen

Quote from: clean on November 22, 2023, 03:50:06 PMI put the turkey in the refrigerator on Sunday.  It was feeling pretty solid last night!  Today it was still icy.  Tonight, if it is not showing significant signs of being defrosted, I will do the water bath defrosting method to give it a boost.  Id rather have it fully defrosted tonight than be worrying about it in the morning. 

Probably late for this, but you can cook from frozen. Just use a thermometer and adjust the cooking time. I do it almost every year.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

evil_physics_witchcraft

And the family drama has been reduced to a phone call. At least I can make faces without them seeing me.

Wahoo Redux

Happy Holiday, everyone.  Hope it was awesome. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

ab_grp

Happy Thanksgiving, all who celebrate! We are having a quiet but delicious dinner this evening (Cornish hens, yummy stuffing, bagna cauda brussels, roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes).  Tomorrow and Saturday evenings will be simpler dinners with the vegetarian child and their partner of several months.  We are planning on kid's favorite chili tomorrow night with some variations available (e.g., add baked potato, bacon, egg...).  Saturday will be eggplant lasagna, which we have not made before but which sounds good and easier to make than eggplant parm.  Eldest kid is out in my old neck of the woods with her dad, one side of my ex-in-laws, and my mom (hopefully), not all at the same time.  We usually decorate the tree during Thanksgiving holiday, but I think we will try some new traditions this year.