News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Thanksgiving 2023

Started by Langue_doc, November 09, 2023, 06:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving!
Phone calls and texts with family and friends with Thanksgiving Day greetings. Along with dinner, I had a can of Goose Island IPA that I brought at Sheetz earlier this week.

AvidReader

Parent announced two weeks ago that parent wanted to come to our house for Thanksgiving. We weren't planning to "do" Thanksgiving (spouse was supposed to work) but planned a small, festive non-Turkey dinner anyway. Parent arrived Tuesday, then announced midday Wednesday that parent wanted to go to the home of parent's significant other (and family) for dessert at 4 p.m. today and needed to leave a little after 1 p.m. So festive dinner became semi-festive lunch, with parent dashing off after. Why did parent bother to come? Grumpy here, which is not the way to spend Thanksgiving, but Happy Thanksgiving anyway.

AR.

FishProf

Our TGiving with MFP's family was remarkably....calm.  MIL has apparently internalized the ultimatum we gave her and she was...fine.

I am still pleasantly surprised.  And stuffed.

But now the madness that is Christmas in my house has begin...
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

clean

What are your plans for Left Overs?

We dont have too much.  I baked a turkey, carved and took it to the Inlaws for dinner last night. 

Not too much turkey came home. 
I m going to try turkey soup, though. I boiled the bones last night and put it in the fridge to cool because it was too late to continue with it.

Ill warm it up, take out the bones, onion and celery I started with it.  Then I will heat it up, add fresh green beans, caned corn, and heat that up til done.  I will cook some noodles to add before dinner.  (Otherwise, the noodles either expand or fall apart).

With the turkey that did come home (one drumstick), I will make a box of Stovetop and make some gravy and mix the drumstick and stuffing.

I also have a second box of stovetop or some rice if The Bride is too tired of stuffing (though HOW could that be?)  I will heat a can of mushroom soup, add the turkey to heat and pour over either the rice or stuffing. 

That should finish the turkey and leave me good for another year!

(I used to cook a turkey every semester, carve it and freeze the meat in ziplock bags. ... You 'get' to eat turkey at least a few times a week all year!!... By the time I graduated, I could not really stand to smell turkey cooking!   But after nearly 30 years, I can eat it a while once or twice a year!).

Grocery store Update:   Plenty of parking!  Lots of restocking going on, but there are lines because only 4 checkouts (plus the self check outs ) open.  I got most of what I wanted, but some of the things I searched for were sold out. 

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Langue_doc

A good Thanksgving was had by all. Good food, good company, so much fun that a couple of people were pleasantly buzzed. Some of the menfolk (men and boys) went hunting after the meal, the youngest got a deer, and in true hunting fashion had to take care of the preliminary prepartions before taking animal to the place where they do the actual preparations so that they can bring the meat home. Since it was getting dark, dad and uncle helped. Another sibling or a cousin got a deer earlier this week, so they have a well-stocked freezer.

As for leftovers, the hostess usually asks people to bring empty containers. This time, she found a set of takeout containers in a store, so we had containers in addition to the leftovers to bring home. I will probably eat most of the food before heading home.

AR, Parent needs a bop on the head or a good talking to.

mythbuster

It was originally going to be just Mr. Buster and myself, but got a text Wednesday night from an old college friend. She was in town with her college age daughter, with the original plan to meet up wither her Dad. Dad had caught RSV so now they were in town with no plans. So we had them for dinner as well and had a great time showing the daughter pictures of us from college and catching up. Its great to see friends who you can just pick right up with- no awkwardness at all.
   So just shows, always plan Thanksgiving with more food than needed. You never know when a friend will arrive at your door.

secundem_artem

My TG was the same as every other year.  Evaluating T&P dossiers.  Only 6 this year so could be worse.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

hmaria1609

We got leftover pork loin in the fridge from last night. I'll be taking some of it for lunch to the library when I go back on Monday.

Mom and I did our usual Costco run this afternoon. The parking lot was busy but it wasn't too bad when we went inside. There were still balsam wreaths and garlands available.

Parade Magazine online has a compilation of Thanksgiving leftovers recipes from its Thanksgiving section.

Larimar

We had a little bit of leftover garlic mashed potatoes and green beans amandine. Both went into the pot of vegetarian "beef" stew we made yesterday. It turned out pretty well.

ciao_yall

oops wrong thread.

ciao_yall

The Annual Thanksgiving Leftover Surprise Party went well. Now I have leftover leftovers, including 3 cups of cranberry sauce. Making a breakfast casserole this morning out of walnut stuffing, sandwich cheese, plus eggs and milk.

What to do with 3 cups of cranberry sauce? Thinking about adding more sugar and making a tart out of it. Any other suggestions?

Puget

Quote from: ciao_yall on November 25, 2023, 08:39:29 AMWhat to do with 3 cups of cranberry sauce? Thinking about adding more sugar and making a tart out of it. Any other suggestions?
These are really good if you like lemon bars:
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021641-cranberry-lemon-bars
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

AvidReader

What kind of cranberry sauce? I've been playing with cranberry curd and cranberry meringue pie the past few years, but I usually start with raw cranberries. You could probably do either with a runny sauce, but not the solid cylinder some people use.

AR.

hmaria1609

It's homebound traffic this weekend. Here's what to expect on DC area roads:
https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2023/11/what-to-expect-on-dcs-roads-after-thanksgiving/
Posted on WTOP 11/25/23

ciao_yall

Quote from: AvidReader on November 25, 2023, 12:00:24 PMWhat kind of cranberry sauce? I've been playing with cranberry curd and cranberry meringue pie the past few years, but I usually start with raw cranberries. You could probably do either with a runny sauce, but not the solid cylinder some people use.

AR.

Just the regular cranberries+sugar+water boiled until berries pop, add a few odds and ends.

I made a cranberry curd tart this year as well - that's a keeper! Learned how to keep whipped cream solid - add a pinch of cream of tartar.

Also have a 1/2 bag of raw cranberries. May throw those in the freezer for the future.