News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Academic Fraud Clearinghouse

Started by spork, March 05, 2024, 02:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: spork on April 16, 2024, 02:20:05 AMDipak Panigrahy, Harvard Medical School, submitted 500 pages of plagiarized word salad as expert testimony in a federal class action lawsuit. The judge rejected it.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2024/4/15/hms-professor-plagiarized-report/ 

More egg on Harvard's face.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: apl68 on April 16, 2024, 07:43:33 AM
Quote from: spork on April 16, 2024, 02:20:05 AMDipak Panigrahy, Harvard Medical School, submitted 500 pages of plagiarized word salad as expert testimony in a federal class action lawsuit. The judge rejected it.

Sounds like it is not plagiarism in the truest sense (he cited his sources), but a hack job in which he cut-n-pasted large sections of other people's real scientific work without proper identification, so it looked like valid original research, and cherry-picking what he found to reach a solution convenient to his client.

I've wondered why out court system allows this version of paid "expert opinion" in the courtroom.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 17, 2024, 08:06:15 PM

Sounds like it is not plagiarism in the truest sense (he cited his sources), but a hack job in which he cut-n-pasted large sections of other people's real scientific work without proper identification, so it looked like valid original research, and cherry-picking what he found to reach a solution convenient to his client.

I've wondered why out court system allows this version of paid "expert opinion" in the courtroom.

By that definition, I could write a paper listing 3 sources, properly cite one quotation from each source, and then cut-and-paste everything else to my heart's content and argue it's "not plagiarism in the truest sense".

Not buying it.

It takes so little to be above average.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on April 18, 2024, 05:05:10 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 17, 2024, 08:06:15 PM

By that definition, I could write a paper listing 3 sources, properly cite one quotation from each source, and then cut-and-paste everything else to my heart's content and argue it's "not plagiarism in the truest sense".

Not buying it.

Okay, Marshy.  I appreciate your expert opinion.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.