News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Trivial Irrelevant Aggravations

Started by sprout, October 03, 2019, 12:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

I was so eager to finish the semester so I could have a break and do the stuff I wanted.

Now I'm here, and I don't wanna.

Dang it.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

little bongo

I've been asked the best way to stay in touch with me over break. I truthfully replied that I'd be checking emails regularly. The other part is that after I check them, I'll probably just say something like, "huh," and then relapse into my "really out of it" state.

Thursday's_Child

ergative

FishProf

I spent an hour signing Smolt up for an eLearning class because there is a check box for a free newsletter which, if you check it, breaks the submission link.

I called the company.  They know.  When I asked why they don't disable the checkbox, they said "We're trying to fix it".

Disable it.  Then fix it.  Then re-enable it.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ergative

I have a pimple in the crease by my nostril.

ab_grp

Juvenal

Having boiled four eggs to hard-state, and following some directions leading to perfection, found two of them difficult to peel w/o a lot of white-stuff loss; one peeled perfectly; the last became a chaos of whites-glued-to-shell fragments.  I ate the yolk and gave up.  One fewer salad for dinner.  IS there a method to ensure a hard-boiled egg can be easily peeled?  Can we hear from the Virgin Hen Sterility Union?
Cranky septuagenarian

dismalist

Quote from: Juvenal on June 22, 2022, 01:42:16 PM
Having boiled four eggs to hard-state, and following some directions leading to perfection, found two of them difficult to peel w/o a lot of white-stuff loss; one peeled perfectly; the last became a chaos of whites-glued-to-shell fragments.  I ate the yolk and gave up.  One fewer salad for dinner.  IS there a method to ensure a hard-boiled egg can be easily peeled?  Can we hear from the Virgin Hen Sterility Union?

I've never had that problem in a serious way, though I have in small ways. I put medium eggs into boiling water, five minutes for soft boiled, 10 minutes for hard boiled. Then I immediately douse them with streams of cold tap water for as long as my patience on an empty stomach in the morning lasts. This last may be the trick to solving the problem.

Try it. You'll probably like it.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Juvenal

Quote from: dismalist on June 22, 2022, 01:52:23 PM

I've never had that problem in a serious way, though I have in small ways. I put medium eggs into boiling water, five minutes for soft boiled, 10 minutes for hard boiled. Then I immediately douse them with streams of cold tap water for as long as my patience on an empty stomach in the morning lasts. This last may be the trick to solving the problem.

I tried m.o.l. that (via directions on a YouTube site). And after twelve minutes from the boiling to the turning off of the heat and covering the pot, and then into the ice-cube ice bath to halt everything.  Well--the results are as I wrote.  I think the answer is some kind of enforced hen quality control.  Let the cocks speak firmly.
Cranky septuagenarian

dismalist

Quote from: Juvenal on June 22, 2022, 01:59:28 PM
Quote from: dismalist on June 22, 2022, 01:52:23 PM

I tried m.o.l. that (via directions on a YouTube site). And after twelve minutes from the boiling to the turning off of the heat and covering the pot, and then into the ice-cube ice bath to halt everything.  Well--the results are as I wrote.  I think the answer is some kind of enforced hen quality control.  Let the cocks speak firmly.

We have natural experiments here. I am at a scientific loss.

Last gambit: Freshness of the eggs? I'm punctilious about that.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Puget

Quote from: dismalist on June 22, 2022, 02:08:46 PM

Yes, but not in the direction you might think-- the older the eggs, the easier they are to peel. Why? Over time, the egg looses some water (the shell is not perfectly evaporation-proof), and so shrinks a bit, pulling away from the membrane and shell.
So use the freshest eggs for out-of-shell cooking, and save some older ones for boiling.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

I was just looking this up for something else.

The FDA has instructions, or I found these notes here:

https://therealfooddietitians.com/how-to-make-easy-peel-hard-boiled-eggs/

a. Roll the hard-boiled egg around and make the shell crinkly.

b. Put the eggs in an ice bath so the skin contracts, making it pull away from the hardened albumen so it doesn't stick.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

Quote from: Puget on June 22, 2022, 02:17:50 PM

Yes, but not in the direction you might think-- the older the eggs, the easier they are to peel. Why? Over time, the egg looses some water (the shell is not perfectly evaporation-proof), and so shrinks a bit, pulling away from the membrane and shell.
So use the freshest eggs for out-of-shell cooking, and save some older ones for boiling.

Theory makes sense. Practice claims I've not had the problem! Theory must be incomplete.

Last gambit +1: What's the elevation? I'm near sea level. [Different boiling points.]

Is Juvenal making soft boiled eggs in Colorado, when he thinks he's making hard boiled eggs near the Dead Sea?

This is all very challenging and difficult.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Puget

Quote from: dismalist on June 22, 2022, 02:39:58 PM
Quote from: Puget on June 22, 2022, 02:17:50 PM

Theory makes sense. Practice claims I've not had the problem! Theory must be incomplete.

Last gambit +1: What's the elevation? I'm near sea level. [Different boiling points.]

Is Juvenal making soft boiled eggs in Colorado, when he thinks he's making hard boiled eggs near the Dead Sea?

This is all very challenging and difficult.

Practice suggests you may never have had actually fresh eggs. Most supermarket eggs aren't all that fresh.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes