Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southerntransplant

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on June 05, 2019, 06:04:56 AM
Quote from: Juvenal on June 04, 2019, 03:38:51 PM
Today? Perfection (yesterday, too).  James Russell Lowell wrote "What is so rare as a day in June?/Then if ever come perfect days."  Well, he did live in New England, where one sickens of winter, but I'm not entirely distant from that locus, so a fine June day near Boston can be a fine June day hereabouts, too.

I don't call Lowell exactly a poetaster, but he is certainly a dim light in the poetic firmament now, despite this good Q/A that has long stuck in my mind (usually surfacing on a fine June day).  Not taking time looking up the quotation, who can name the poem it comes from?  It's the first two lines, too.  And I had to look it up again, anyway.  Then he goes on about trees and flowers and birdies.  I stopped.

I'd have to look it up to answer, but I do believe his gravestone, set in a veritable sculpture garden of neoclassical urns and orbs, is modeled after colonial gravestones made two centuries earlier--because he inhabited a (still-standing) colonial-era house nearby, and wanted his gravestone to go with it.

(Apropos of current events, too, that home was the site in which the concept of "gerrymandering" was born...by a previous owner.)

M.

OK, found it: "The Vision of Sir Launfal," at:

https://poets.org/poem/vision-sir-launfal

And here are links to the homesite

https://www.cambridgeusa.org/listing/elmwood

and gravestone:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/648/james-russell-lowell/photo#view-photo=76383

The stone is closely fashioned after the work of colonial carver Joseph Lamson (L 17th-E 18th c.); the too-squared-off leaves in the side panels and the typographic style of lettering in the tablet betray its derivative nature, but it's a very good effort. Lamson stones are found in abundance in the Old Cambridge Burying Ground in the center of Harvard Square, about a mile or so from Mt. Auburn Cemetery.

I know, TMI...ask about the weather and you get a gravestone lecture...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

wellfleet

Mid sixties and gorgeous, after months of damp cool. I'll take it!
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.

magnemite

Bit of rain, cool wind, temp in 50's...
may you ride eternal, shiny and chrome

ab_grp

Here comes another storm out of the blue! Whee! Maybe it will just threaten and move on.

ab_grp

We had a couple dry days around 100 degrees.  Then last night a dust came in with an overnight wind advisory.  This morning we were gently awakened at a nice early hour by egregious thunder.  It's been thundering and lightninging on and off but raining pretty continuously.  I just got some areal flood alerts.  It's typically so dry here that rain coming down in big barrels is I guess what my spouse refers to as a "toad strangler" storm (anyone heard of that?!).  Literally, the toads or frogs or whomever have to come out of the ground, and then they start moaning really loudly.  It's quite a treat.

Ruralguy

Wet and unusually so for what would normally be summer by this point (unofficially). I was getting used to the idea that there was no such thing as a summer rainy around here.

mamselle

Cool, pleasant, sunshiny!

Yea!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Juvenal

Drippy, cool.

Afternoon(nap weather)

Hey, some of us are retired.  And it's summer break, anyway.
Cranky septuagenarian

wellfleet

Giant heat wave here--we hit 90 today and yesterday, which basically never happens. Luckily, it's not humid and it still cools down at night. I hope we'll be back to normal (60s) soon.
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.

hungry_ghost

Sunny and calm. Not the kind of weather that makes me want to stay indoors and write like I need to be doing.

polly_mer

Quote from: Juvenal on June 10, 2019, 12:10:26 PM
                           Afternoon(nap weather)

Did you get a nap?  I'm looking forward to having good nap weather on Friday.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Juvenal

Quote from: polly_mer on June 11, 2019, 05:41:16 PM
Quote from: Juvenal on June 10, 2019, 12:10:26 PM
                           Afternoon(nap weather)

Did you get a nap?  I'm looking forward to having good nap weather on Friday.

Yes.  And another today, although it was a "morning nap," needed because a) slept poorly, anticipating need to b) get to the pool at 6 a.m. opening and c) fatigue post-swim.  Astonishing how boring swimming is.  And the chlorine reek that lingers for hours...
Cranky septuagenarian

the_geneticist

It's 105 here.  In the shade.

polly_mer

I can hear the thunderstorm rolling in.  I'm hoping it will be a nice stormy night.

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!