Author Topic: What's your weather?  (Read 28465 times)

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Distinguished Senior Member
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
Re: What's your weather?
« Reply #675 on: October 29, 2021, 09:16:03 AM »
Sunny, cool, in the 40s, but not cold.

The earth's still warm so the cold air hasn't been able to take over yet.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

« Reply #676 on: October 30, 2021, 07:27:17 AM »
Yikes!

As long as you turn around and don't try to drive through...!

M.

Fortunately multiple but longer ways home.  Major highway, though, so a very long line of cars trying to do the same. Someday maybe the state highway dept will rent a sign so we could turn around earlier.

apl68

« Reply #677 on: November 03, 2021, 06:16:08 AM »
Chilly and overcast, with a slow rain.  We were needing some rain.  Non-destructive rainy weather is always good.
For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, works for us a far greater weight of glory; while we look not at the things which we can see, but at those which are unseen.  For the things that are seen are temporary, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

AmLitHist

« Reply #678 on: November 03, 2021, 10:29:12 AM »
Got our first frost overnight.

hmaria1609

• CHE Posts: 560
« Reply #679 on: November 03, 2021, 11:50:57 AM »

AmLitHist

« Reply #680 on: November 06, 2021, 12:11:00 PM »
There was a heavy frost/freeze last night.  It looked like snow on the ground when I got up around 7 this morning!

Indian summer this week:  back up into the upper 60s/low 70s in the daytime. 

(ETA:  apologies if that is an offensive term. Is it?  I've been reading a lot of 19th C work recently, and it just occurred to me that I might need to apologize for it.  Still, it just evokes the perfect shorthand description for this time of year.)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2021, 12:13:18 PM by AmLitHist »

apl68

« Reply #681 on: November 22, 2021, 08:39:41 AM »
Sunny and  mild out today.  We had storms yesterday evening.  I had to drive through the storms for over an hour trying to get home.  It was probably the worst rain I've ever had to drive through.  Visibility was so poor that I was not sure when I drove over a major river bridge.  It's one of the few times I have heard thunder while driving down the highway.  I was thankful to pull in at home!
For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, works for us a far greater weight of glory; while we look not at the things which we can see, but at those which are unseen.  For the things that are seen are temporary, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

mamselle

« Reply #682 on: November 22, 2021, 08:52:51 AM »
There was a heavy frost/freeze last night.  It looked like snow on the ground when I got up around 7 this morning!

Indian summer this week:  back up into the upper 60s/low 70s in the daytime. 

(ETA:  apologies if that is an offensive term. Is it?  I've been reading a lot of 19th C work recently, and it just occurred to me that I might need to apologize for it.  Still, it just evokes the perfect shorthand description for this time of year.)

That's come to my mind lately as well, being in an area where the suggestion it conveys of an extended, summer-y fall is very apt.

I just looked it up. Good article here:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2016/10/lets-choose-a-new-name-for-indian-summer.html

It suggests, "Second summer," "Badger summer," and "Lay summer" as some alternatives, and gives a very interesting literary excavation as to the phrase's known sources.

If I were teaching American literature, I know what opener I'd be using for my classes right about now...but I realize not all situations allow us to do everything we'd like to do....

;--}

Anyway, glad to know there are alternatives to consider.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

« Reply #683 on: November 23, 2021, 06:57:30 PM »
Cold temps overnight! The Hypothermia Alert was activated in DC last night and again tonight.

hmaria1609

« Reply #684 on: November 26, 2021, 10:12:34 AM »
High winds today!

sinenomine

• CHE Posts: 707
« Reply #685 on: November 26, 2021, 10:18:09 AM »
The wind just picked up as the forecasted cold front is arriving, and it’s snowing in the higher elevations nearby.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

« Reply #686 on: November 26, 2021, 10:59:08 AM »
Cool enough, and the ground's now chilly enough, that I'm re-considering going out whenever the temps get fairly low....do NOT want to deal with ice, injuries, etc., although as long as one is careful...should be OK.

It was supposed to rain/snow last night and today, but it looks pretty innocuous now; there was a sheen on the streets earlier this AM but that seems to be gone again.

Oh, well, we can't all be Harvey Lenoard....

M.

Parasaurolophus

• near crested lizard
  • Senior Moderator
  • CHE Posts: 1640
« Reply #687 on: November 26, 2021, 11:26:31 AM »
We've had tons of rain, and more is on the way
ay. But for now, it's sunny.

A giant spruce fell across the driveway at the property we bought last year. Time to buy a chainsaw.
I know it's a genus.