News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

What's your weather?

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Sunny, cool, in the 40s, but not cold.

The earth's still warm so the cold air hasn't been able to take over yet.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

Quote from: mamselle on October 28, 2021, 09:37:02 PM
Yikes!

As long as you turn around and don't try to drive through...!

M.

Fortunately multiple but longer ways home.  Major highway, though, so a very long line of cars trying to do the same. Someday maybe the state highway dept will rent a sign so we could turn around earlier.

apl68

Chilly and overcast, with a slow rain.  We were needing some rain.  Non-destructive rainy weather is always good.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

AmLitHist

Got our first frost overnight.

hmaria1609

AmLitHist

There was a heavy frost/freeze last night.  It looked like snow on the ground when I got up around 7 this morning!

Indian summer this week:  back up into the upper 60s/low 70s in the daytime. 

(ETA:  apologies if that is an offensive term. Is it?  I've been reading a lot of 19th C work recently, and it just occurred to me that I might need to apologize for it.  Still, it just evokes the perfect shorthand description for this time of year.)

apl68

Sunny and  mild out today.  We had storms yesterday evening.  I had to drive through the storms for over an hour trying to get home.  It was probably the worst rain I've ever had to drive through.  Visibility was so poor that I was not sure when I drove over a major river bridge.  It's one of the few times I have heard thunder while driving down the highway.  I was thankful to pull in at home!

mamselle

Quote from: AmLitHist on November 06, 2021, 12:11:00 PM
There was a heavy frost/freeze last night.  It looked like snow on the ground when I got up around 7 this morning!

Indian summer this week:  back up into the upper 60s/low 70s in the daytime. 

(ETA:  apologies if that is an offensive term. Is it?  I've been reading a lot of 19th C work recently, and it just occurred to me that I might need to apologize for it.  Still, it just evokes the perfect shorthand description for this time of year.)

That's come to my mind lately as well, being in an area where the suggestion it conveys of an extended, summer-y fall is very apt.

I just looked it up. Good article here:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2016/10/lets-choose-a-new-name-for-indian-summer.html

It suggests, "Second summer," "Badger summer," and "Lay summer" as some alternatives, and gives a very interesting literary excavation as to the phrase's known sources.

If I were teaching American literature, I know what opener I'd be using for my classes right about now...but I realize not all situations allow us to do everything we'd like to do....

;--}

Anyway, glad to know there are alternatives to consider.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

hmaria1609

Cold temps overnight! The Hypothermia Alert was activated in DC last night and again tonight.

hmaria1609

sinenomine

The wind just picked up as the forecasted cold front is arriving, and it's snowing in the higher elevations nearby.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

Cool enough, and the ground's now chilly enough, that I'm re-considering going out whenever the temps get fairly low....do NOT want to deal with ice, injuries, etc., although as long as one is careful...should be OK.

It was supposed to rain/snow last night and today, but it looks pretty innocuous now; there was a sheen on the streets earlier this AM but that seems to be gone again.

Oh, well, we can't all be Harvey Lenoard....

M.

Parasaurolophus

We've had tons of rain, and more is on the way
ay. But for now, it's sunny.

A giant spruce fell across the driveway at the property we bought last year. Time to buy a chainsaw.
I know it's a genus.

apl68

Highs in the 70s so far this December.  A little cooler today.  On Friday, when I plan to be off to do my annual Christmas shopping, the extended forecast calls for highs in the eighties.  Saturday we had a booth at our annual outdoor Christmas event.  Until less than a decade ago vendors selling chili and hot chocolate were the ones doing the best business.  Now you can't give anything like that away.  It was all but summer weather--any state to north of us would have called it summer.  For all that it was a successful event, I felt kind of bummed at one point listening to seasonal songs like "White Christmas" on the loudspeakers.  We will most likely never see a holiday season like that here ever again.  If I'd wanted weather like in Miami or New Orleans, I would have chosen to live there!

Parasaurolophus

Three inches of snow this morning, but I suspect it'll be gone in a few days.
I know it's a genus.