News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Apparently, within the next three years 100% of courses at my university will involve "studio-learning".

OK. That's weird and seems unrealistic, but it could be cool, especially with financial support (there is none). But...

"Studio-learning" apparently includes things like having class discussions. =/
I know it's a genus.

Morden

QuoteApparently, within the next three years 100% of courses at my university will involve "studio-learning".
Oh. It sounds like someone in admin went to Georgetown for a visit--where they do have financial support.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Morden on November 22, 2021, 12:33:07 PM
QuoteApparently, within the next three years 100% of courses at my university will involve "studio-learning".
Oh. It sounds like someone in admin went to Georgetown for a visit--where they do have financial support.

Oh! Is that what happened?
I know it's a genus.

Larimar

What is studio learning? I've not heard that phrase (yet?).

Larimar

Langue_doc

Quote from: Larimar on November 22, 2021, 02:13:07 PM
What is studio learning? I've not heard that phrase (yet?).

Larimar

From the web:

https://serc.carleton.edu/introgeo/studio/what.html

https://serc.carleton.edu/introgeo/studio/what.html

These are Canadian and Australian universities; I hadn't heard of studio learning until I saw the posts below.

Parasaurolophus

Yeah. And there's a serious sticking point here:

What are the characteristics of a studio classroom?

• There are few lectures.

[...]

What are the keys to success?

• Students must be prepared when they come to class (they must do appropriate reading, master appropriate skills, gather needed information, etc.)

Given our institutional culture and our recruitment pools, I don't think we can successfully pull that off.

On the other hand, as far as I can tell we'll be able to claim our classes are "studio-learning" classes as long as there are in-class discussions, so.

In other news, apparently we're planning to start offering graduate degrees by 2030? No word yet on whether we'll offer more than the current handful of undergraduate degrees or associate's certificates.

I don't think we're gonna win the future.
I know it's a genus.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: clean on November 22, 2021, 11:07:56 AM
QuoteI have an iphone 6 Plus and have been using iOS14.

Are you sure is it a 6 plus and not a 6S plus?  My wife has a 6S plus and it works.

But, as it is possible that it is my phone, I will make an effort next week (no way I can get to the store before then) to visit Verizon and check

Ah, I guess that explains the difference.

Larimar

Thanks for the links. Sounds like it's in with the big push for "active learning".

I can understand why so many people think that "active learning" is a good thing. Learning by doing can be very effective for memorability and for fine tuning skills. Theoretically it's not a bad idea.

The problem, however, Parasaurolophus has put very well:

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 22, 2021, 02:36:05 PM
Yeah. And there's a serious sticking point here:

What are the characteristics of a studio classroom?

• There are few lectures.

[...]

What are the keys to success?

• Students must be prepared when they come to class (they must do appropriate reading, master appropriate skills, gather needed information, etc.)

Given our institutional culture and our recruitment pools, I don't think we can successfully pull that off.

My students this quarter are so quiet and docile it's hard to get them to do anything or say even one word in class, and I don't think they do the readings unless and until they have a graded assignment on them. Trying to get these students to do a group project, like the studio learning web site was talking about, I suspect would be like trying to get a mule to budge when it is quite happy where it is, thank you very much. Today my students didn't even want to pair up to do a short writing assignment. I really had to prod them. It was perplexing. I guess that's my vent today.

Larimar

Puget

Tis the season. And by season I mean grad school recommendation season. I have six students I'm submitting recommendations for this year, each applying multiple places of course, so I've been doing battle with various university submission systems. I dearly love the ones that just let you upload your letter and be on your way (our own is one of these, thankfully). Sadly, these are in the minority.

Best: Just upload the letter
Worse: Asking questions with text boxes that are already answered in the letter (I bet the letter will tell you how long I've known the applicant and in what capacity, don't you think?)
What the F?!:Asking questions with text boxes that try to force you write to something just for them (aren't you special, that a standard letter isn't sufficient for your program). One wanted me to describe my own research program and include a link to my CV and lab website-- are you kidding me? I AM NOT THE APPLICANT HERE. Also, Google exists if you really want to vet your recommenders.

Best: No ratings
Worse: making me do meaningless ratings (either everyone is "exceptional" or you are hurting your applicant, so there is NO VALID DATA here!)
What the F?!: systems that *scramble* the rating options so you have to go hunting (like, "below average, exceptional, good, average", and the order is different for every menu. WHY???)

Best: No additional contact info entry required
Worse: Requiring a mailing address (really, you are going to correspond by mail with me about my recommendation?)
What the F?!: Requesting a fax number (the 90's called, and would like their website back).
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Puget on November 24, 2021, 08:52:06 AM
Tis the season. And by season I mean grad school recommendation season. I have six students I'm submitting recommendations for this year, each applying multiple places of course, so I've been doing battle with various university submission systems. I dearly love the ones that just let you upload your letter and be on your way (our own is one of these, thankfully). Sadly, these are in the minority.

Worse: Asking questions with text boxes that are already answered in the letter (I bet the letter will tell you how long I've known the applicant and in what capacity, don't you think?)
What the F?!:Asking questions with text boxes that try to force you write to something just for them (aren't you special, that a standard letter isn't sufficient for your program). One wanted me to describe my own research program and include a link to my CV and lab website-- are you kidding me? I AM NOT THE APPLICANT HERE. Also, Google exists if you really want to vet your recommenders.

Worse: making me do meaningless ratings (either everyone is "exceptional" or you are hurting your applicant, so there is NO VALID DATA here!)
What the F?!: systems that *scramble* the rating options so you have to go hunting (like, "below average, exceptional, good, average", and the order is different for every menu. WHY???)

Worse: Requiring a mailing address (really, you are going to correspond by mail with me about my recommendation?)
What the F?!: Requesting a fax number (the 90's called, and would like their website back).

Ugh, that's heinous.
I know it's a genus.

traductio

Having just spent twenty minutes fighting a recommendation system, I just want to say, hear, hear! This one made me choose a password, except that apparently I submitted a rec letter there sometime in the last six years, so I already had a password. And when I uploaded a letter (as requested) but did not enter the words "Please see attachment" in the box where I could not paste the contents of my rec letter because it had too many characters, the entire page reset, and I got to enter all the evaluations again!

Seriously, I write letters that will tell you all the things you could wish to know. Entering them again by ranking the student, but still uploading the letter? Come on.

Puget

Quote from: traductio on November 24, 2021, 09:54:47 AM

Having just spent twenty minutes fighting a recommendation system, I just want to say, hear, hear! This one made me choose a password, except that apparently I submitted a rec letter there sometime in the last six years, so I already had a password. And when I uploaded a letter (as requested) but did not enter the words "Please see attachment" in the box where I could not paste the contents of my rec letter because it had too many characters, the entire page reset, and I got to enter all the evaluations again!

Seriously, I write letters that will tell you all the things you could wish to know. Entering them again by ranking the student, but still uploading the letter? Come on.

Ugh, yes, I should have included requiring passwords on my list. Why would I want an account? Useless and completely unnecessary.
OK, back into the trenches-- next student is applying to 14 programs. . .
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Puget on November 24, 2021, 10:34:34 AM

Ugh, yes, I should have included requiring passwords on my list. Why would I want an account? Useless and completely unnecessary.

Oy vey! I had to set up an account last week, just for this reason. Major pain in the butt.

lightning

^unrelated

I tried to do some simple bank errands, today.

Both the teller and personal banker overstepped the boundaries of the task I was asking them to do, and tried to give me financial advice and to take care of my transactions in a different manner. First off, it's not their job to give me advice that I do not ask for. Second, I know what the hell I'm doing. Thirdly, just because you are a bank teller and a glorified bank teller (assistant branch manager), doesn't make you a finance genius.

Why can't banking employees just do what I ask them to do, instead of trying to make it a financial consultation.

I would have taken care of the bank errand on their app, but it wouldn't let me, so I had to actually go into a branch.

traductio

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on November 24, 2021, 10:44:54 AM
Quote from: Puget on November 24, 2021, 10:34:34 AM

Oy vey! I had to set up an account last week, just for this reason. Major pain in the butt.

My other gripe -- requests for letters that don't specify -- until I've logged into their stupid system -- the name of the student. I want to write my letters beforehand, and if I haven't written one yet, I don't want to log in and then have to write one on the spot.

(Plus, now that I finally had the system send me a replacement password, I tried to log in, only to learn that the system is currently undergoing its two-hour daily maintenance, because where it's located, it's between 3 and 5 in the morning. I can't log in. Seriously, a two-hour daily maintenance?)