News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow2

Quote from: AmLitHist on February 02, 2022, 10:28:27 AM
Wow, RatGuy. Just infuriating, I'm sure.

Thanks for the various advice on my insurance problems, everyone.  I've done all those already (i.e., doctor has written, provided all records electronically, personally called by phone, etc. to the insurer). I've put in a request to my HR, where my usual go-to people have all quit, and am waiting to hear back from whoever has now taken that job.  And my union is getting me a contact with a lawyer to start with a nasty phone call to Cigna.

Of course, everything and everybody in the region is shut down today, and likely the rest of the week, for the ice/sleet/snow event.

Plus, our power was out for about 3 hours this morning (due to the ice and wind). At least it's back on now.

This is terrible. Could your state insurance commissioner be helpful? Opiods instead of diagnosis!

mamselle

Quote from: Puget on February 02, 2022, 10:27:50 AM
Quote from: RatGuy on February 02, 2022, 10:20:00 AM
I am teaching a study abroad class this summer. The company that facilitates the logistics of the trip, especially the travel and lodging schedules, has informed me that the deadline to make those reservations is fast approaching. They've also informed me that the contract with them hasn't been signed. None of my emails to my contact in the university's study abroad program has gotten a response. Indeed, some of the questions about crosslisting and registration have also gone unanswered. Students are concerned their trip will be cancelled, parents are concerned that we're not handling this properly, and the logistics company has issued a deadline. I go over to the Study Abroad office, and the admin's repsonse to me is "yeah, I saw those emails. I decide who and what to answer. Your emails aren't on my list." When I tell her that I'm being told that if the contract isn't signed by Feb 11, then the other folks withdraw (by then it's too late to schedule) and that the class will be cancelled. For what it's worth, the cost of travel, room, and board has already increased due to this delay. As in, increased by more than a thousand over the initial quote. The admin says, "Then I'll sign it on Feb 11. And in the future, you'll get an email from me when I want you to get an email from me."

So flabbergasted. Won't be going through this process again.

Wow, who is this person's boss? I'd be looping in my chair and having them go to up the chain of command with this.

Agree. Study-abroad programs can be either great or mooshy-dicey.

If it's not great, AND if your in-house office isn't great, it's a pain to manage.

At some levels, it can be hard for an in-hiuse group to handle the language, currency, accounting, and transportation details--especially now, and, probably especially, with reduced in-house staff to field all the communications.

But that's not quite an excuse--at best, just a reason--for the rudeness you encountered.

It's usually a silo-type office, and can be the kind of set-up that responds best to lots of EA schmoozing and hand-holding, if you can identify who in that group actually gets things done and responds to respectful efforts to keep them "sweet" and on-track.

But if they're risking a whole cancelation/return-funds/have-upset-parrents-and-kids-sending-emails scenario, I'd think their boss, and quite possibly a Registrar, or someone like that, might want to know, too...and of course, you'd want to let Mr/s. "Don't-call-me" know that before you let them know, too...

Yuck.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

AmLitHist

Quote from: downer on February 02, 2022, 10:35:14 AM

Unfortunately for them, I'm not prepared for my own work to be used that way unless they pay me extra money. It's very easy for me to cut off access to the materials I have developed.

I guess we may be parting ways soon.

I feel for you, Downer.  My place always wants us to do things like this for free.  But let one of us miss 30 minutes of on-campus office hours, and it hits the fan--never mind all the free labor all of us do when grading at home, evenings and weekends.....

No wonder the CHE has been running articles lately about faculty burnout and/or leaving.

clean

QuoteI am teaching a study abroad class this summer. The company that facilitates the logistics of the trip, especially the travel and lodging schedules, has informed me that the deadline to make those reservations is fast approaching. They've also informed me that the contract with them hasn't been signed. None of my emails to my contact in the university's study abroad program has gotten a response. Indeed, some of the questions about crosslisting and registration have also gone unanswered. Students are concerned their trip will be cancelled, parents are concerned that we're not handling this properly, and the logistics company has issued a deadline. I go over to the Study Abroad office, and the admin's repsonse to me is "yeah, I saw those emails. I decide who and what to answer. Your emails aren't on my list." When I tell her that I'm being told that if the contract isn't signed by Feb 11, then the other folks withdraw (by then it's too late to schedule) and that the class will be cancelled. For what it's worth, the cost of travel, room, and board has already increased due to this delay. As in, increased by more than a thousand over the initial quote. The admin says, "Then I'll sign it on Feb 11. And in the future, you'll get an email from me when I want you to get an email from me."

It may be too late, but it is time to send an email to the Admincritter (with a CC to your dean) outlining the conversation you had.  You can even be as frank with that email as you were here.  Make sure that YOUR dean knows.  Frankly, in as much as this is a BUDGET issue ... as reduced tuition from these cancelled classes will have a negative impact on the campus, a CC to the provost might tempt me IF I was really pissed!

As the prices have gone up because of the admincritter's delay I would make sure that I would document that their handling of this matter has increased the burden on the students.  IF the costs had already been shared with the students, ask what the university's plans are to absorb those added costs are?

Finally, Do YOU really want to do this?  Perhaps this is the time to send the dean an additional note that you are not willing to handle this added responsibility and added stress resulting from this admincritter's inactions and unanswered emails and that the dean should begin to send out feelers to find another victim volunteer more willing to put up with such bullshit/inaction. 

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

FishProf

I am sad to report that my adminvertebrate missed our deposit deadline, so my Spring Break trip is now up in the air, as it is unclear if our spots are still reserved.  Our plane tickets are purchased, however.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Is that the kind of invertebrate you can put in a big jar with formalin, and pickle them?

M.*

* thinking up other terrible fates for such folk....

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

smallcleanrat

I'm probably spending way too much time here, and probably not always making a lot of sense.

I think I've been desperate for something to distract away from chronic pain. It's been bad for months and keeps me awake most of the night. Hard to eat, losing weight and losing energy.

Definitely not at my best, and feeling pretty down.

mamselle

Quote from: smallcleanrat on February 03, 2022, 05:13:48 PM
I'm probably spending way too much time here, and probably not always making a lot of sense.

I think I've been desperate for something to distract away from chronic pain. It's been bad for months and keeps me awake most of the night. Hard to eat, losing weight and losing energy.

Consider us support, and I'm sorry you're dealing with all this.

What would be the best thing for you right now? A different care team leader? Different meds? Just to have the pain STOP!?

All good thoughts...I hope you find help that really helps.

M.

clean

QuoteI think I've been desperate for something to distract away from chronic pain

I seem to recall an article that reported the study of burn victims.  They were better able to tolerate usually excruciating treatments if they played a video game while it was going on.  So you may find that  WE are distracting you from the pain. 
While I would not want to distract you from your studies and work, perhaps this is an excuse to buy or break out some old game system to distract you further!  (But dont let your hubby take it over from you!!) 

I dont know if this would help or not, but both my brother and niece got some sort of 3 d or virtual experience headpiece and something that they held in their hands or went on their wrists.  ( I was not allowed to play with them because they were always in use!!  )

Now that I mention them, I think that my aunt (mid 60s) has one too and claims that she can work up a sweat playing something with it!
(She is undergoing cancer treatments, but I dont know if it is used to distract her from the treatment issues, or just something to keep her busy given Covid travel restrictions imposed by her hubby and son).
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'm sorry to hear this, smallcleanrat. As mamselle said, this forum can be supportive. Sending good vibes.

Larimar

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on February 04, 2022, 12:17:06 PM

I'm sorry to hear this, smallcleanrat. As mamselle said, this forum can be supportive. Sending good vibes.

+1 to this. Fingers crossed for you, smallcleanrat.

mythbuster

Gentle soothing thoughts to smallcleanrat. Things that help me when I need to NOT focus on a physical sensation include music listened though headphones, simple repetitive video games (Fruit ninja, Tetris etc.), and my cats. Just focusing on stroking the fur and listening/feeling the purring.

If laughing helps, maybe we need to dig up some of the old classic threads- Oseph and her MIL (I'll never see sheep the same way again!) the baby shower incident (can't remember the handle of that contributor), etc.. They really were comedic masterpieces.

Parasaurolophus

The front door fell off its hinge (singular!). The apartment is now venting atmosphere into the world.

The door weighs, like, 200lbs, so it's weird that it was balanced on a single pin hinge but whatever. It's chilly now.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: mythbuster on February 04, 2022, 01:54:47 PM
Gentle soothing thoughts to smallcleanrat. Things that help me when I need to NOT focus on a physical sensation include music listened though headphones, simple repetitive video games (Fruit ninja, Tetris etc.), and my cats. Just focusing on stroking the fur and listening/feeling the purring.

If laughing helps, maybe we need to dig up some of the old classic threads- Oseph and her MIL (I'll never see sheep the same way again!) the baby shower incident (can't remember the handle of that contributor), etc.. They really were comedic masterpieces.

Unless someone saved those threads, they're sadly gone. CHE discontinued the whole shebang, and several requests to re-open or make the files available have been denied.

I agree about the sheep, Oseph's MIL, etc. The play-by-play in real time was truly something to behold.

M.

paultuttle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 04, 2022, 02:04:55 PM
The front door fell off its hinge (singular!). The apartment is now venting atmosphere into the world.

The door weighs, like, 200lbs, so it's weird that it was balanced on a single pin hinge but whatever. It's chilly now.

I hope you solve the problem ASAP!

My vent is on the "first world problems" thread, but here's another one, much less important: The showerhead broke off its pipe, causing a watery mess in the bathroom this evening.

(Huh. Maybe I should've put that in the "first world problems" thread and the hacker issue here.)