Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotia

Quote from: science.expat on September 19, 2019, 12:24:16 PM
Cellulitis

Oh no!. My sympathies. I've had it  once (just above my knee, as a result of an insect bite going bad) and it wasn't fun. But it did respond quickly to antibiotics once I started on them - I hope yours is the same.

science.expat

Quote from: Scotia on September 19, 2019, 11:41:35 PM
Cellulitis

Oh no!. My sympathies. I've had it  once (just above my knee, as a result of an insect bite going bad) and it wasn't fun. But it did respond quickly to antibiotics once I started on them - I hope yours is the same.

It's very slowly improving but seems more systemic than your version. In the course of two days I went from a swollen foot to a badly swollen and very shiny red foot and lower leg. The GP sent me to A&E who wanted to admit me. We compromised on two doses of intravenous antibiotics and a box of horse pills.

Objectively it's getting better, the swelling and redness are decreasing. But my leg is also weeping fluids which is damn nuisance. In an ideal world, I'd stay home with my leg up - and in utopia someone would be ferrying me food and drink on demand. In this reality, however, I flew to New City this morning to view a house and have a day and half of meetings at New Job at the beginning of the week. But at least the weekend is free!

ab_grp

Quote from: science.expat on September 20, 2019, 12:11:47 AM
Quote from: Scotia on September 19, 2019, 11:41:35 PM
Cellulitis

It's very slowly improving but seems more systemic than your version. In the course of two days I went from a swollen foot to a badly swollen and very shiny red foot and lower leg. The GP sent me to A&E who wanted to admit me. We compromised on two doses of intravenous antibiotics and a box of horse pills.

Objectively it's getting better, the swelling and redness are decreasing. But my leg is also weeping fluids which is damn nuisance. In an ideal world, I'd stay home with my leg up - and in utopia someone would be ferrying me food and drink on demand. In this reality, however, I flew to New City this morning to view a house and have a day and half of meetings at New Job at the beginning of the week. But at least the weekend is free!

Sorry to hear about the cellulitis and busy schedule.  I hope you get to relax with your leg up this weekend and that it clears up soon.  That doesn't sound fun at all.

sprout

Hey, maybe when you start a new job you should try asking people why things are they way they are before you go around cleaning everything up and "fixing" all the problems you see?  Huh, maybe?  Maybe there was a d**n good reason for having some things over there instead of all over here? 

mamselle

People, the stupid Evite thing won't open on this phone.

So please put the Date, Day, Time, and Location in the email header as well, wouldja?

I just missed a student's Bar Mitzvah because I couldn't get an address for the site in time to set out transport.

I should, indeed, have set it up sooner, but this week wasn't lending itself well to advance planning.

The Evite apparently closed down at midnight, and the email had no info.

I'm really sorry to have missed it, I was looking forward to it.

Electronics are NOT always the be-all/end-all of good social communication.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Thursday's_Child

Cats who have prolonged bouts of noisy barfing.   At 6:05 a.m.   While under the bed.

mamselle

Ooohhh, dear.

Been there. Remember that.

Do take it seriously, though. I lost a sweet, gray-haired smoky tabby to an obstruction neither I nor the vet realized was causing the up-chucking... we thought it was something in her food,, was all.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: mamselle on October 02, 2019, 09:40:33 AM
Ooohhh, dear.

Been there. Remember that.

Do take it seriously, though. I lost a sweet, gray-haired smoky tabby to an obstruction neither I nor the vet realized was causing the up-chucking... we thought it was something in her food,, was all.

M.

I'll be sure to keep an eye on him!  However, he has a long history of up-chucking every week or so - usually including either lots of grass or an obvious mat of hair.  Combing, and periodic Furminator-ing, reduces the frequency and severity, but doesn't completely put a stop to it.

mamselle

I forget if you're already on the cat-herding thread, but updates are welcome there, too....

M.

archaeo42

New laptop and it's seeming inability to stay connected to our exchange server...even when our VPN still appears to be connected.

IT has done what they can remotely. I think this may be a case of requiring a replacement (already). I'm pissed because other than the connection stuff it works fine.

If anyone has suggestions here's everything I've tired:

Connect to the VPN after logging on to my desktop (normally connect before logging on to the desktop)
Connect through a hardwired connection
Connect through my wireless connection
Connect while not plugged in to the docking station

Same issue keeps happening. I'm currently on my old computer so that I can actually get some work done. :/
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

AmLitHist

2019 needs to just go away, already.

•   Diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in January
•   Hospitalized with MRSA/cellulitis leading to sepsis in February
•   Debilitating sciatica (right hip) in March – April
•   Enough x-rays/CT scans to make me glow in the dark May-June
•   Diagnosed with sacroiliac (SI) joint dysfunction (left hip) in May, confirmed by orthopedist in early July
•   Useless treatment (cortisone injection under $7000 of live CT scans—after weeks of arguing with Cigna for authorization) in late July
•   Hobbling around on walker/cane all semester (permanent condition)

I thought the bright spot had come on Tuesday, when I finally got a meting with HR to establish an ADA file with accommodations—after I started requesting this meeting on JULY 19.  Oh, hell, no. Instead of coming out of the meeting with my accommodation (as my union's state director assured me I would), I came out instead with more papers to get signed by my orthopedist. These papers require the exact same information he included and signed on the other ADA forms, but it has to be on this form. Then we have to schedule another meeting with HR (if we all live long enough to see it happen) when they will approve the accommodations.  Or maybe they won't.  If/when I ever get what I need, I'm grieving/suing HR to high heaven; my union president and the state director already have the lawyers warming up in the bullpen.

And just to keep things interesting, I have an appointment this afternoon with an oncologist after referral by my internist, following several wonky blood tests.  Sure, why not?  Literally everybody in the family dies of cancer, so I'm ready for it. Hopefully it's the kind that my numbers strongly suggest it is, in which case it's more of a PitA with 20+ years survival being the norm. I'd better live that long, just to have time to get another ADA file set up.

Still.  I'm so done with this year. It's also included major surgery for ALHS and the loss of three close colleagues all within a three-month span.   

Sorry.  This is way too long. I'm just feeling aggravated as hell this morning, and since the ortho and cancer issues are nobody's business and I'm only talking to my BFF and ALHS about them, I'm about to melt down if I don't tell somebody. Thanks for indulging me.

archaeo42

Oof ALH that is A LOT. Sending positive thoughts your way. I hope the ADA accommodation from your HR proves to be less of a hassle than it sounds like it will be.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

Puget

AmLitHist I'm so sorry-- vent to us all you want! I also wonder if a support group for people living with chronic illness /pain might be available through a local hospital or elsewhere? You shouldn't have to deal with this without more support than it sounds like you're getting currently.

Quote from: AmLitHist on October 03, 2019, 07:12:43 AM
2019 needs to just go away, already.

•   Diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in January
•   Hospitalized with MRSA/cellulitis leading to sepsis in February
•   Debilitating sciatica (right hip) in March – April
•   Enough x-rays/CT scans to make me glow in the dark May-June
•   Diagnosed with sacroiliac (SI) joint dysfunction (left hip) in May, confirmed by orthopedist in early July
•   Useless treatment (cortisone injection under $7000 of live CT scans—after weeks of arguing with Cigna for authorization) in late July
•   Hobbling around on walker/cane all semester (permanent condition)

I thought the bright spot had come on Tuesday, when I finally got a meting with HR to establish an ADA file with accommodations—after I started requesting this meeting on JULY 19.  Oh, hell, no. Instead of coming out of the meeting with my accommodation (as my union's state director assured me I would), I came out instead with more papers to get signed by my orthopedist. These papers require the exact same information he included and signed on the other ADA forms, but it has to be on this form. Then we have to schedule another meeting with HR (if we all live long enough to see it happen) when they will approve the accommodations.  Or maybe they won't.  If/when I ever get what I need, I'm grieving/suing HR to high heaven; my union president and the state director already have the lawyers warming up in the bullpen.

And just to keep things interesting, I have an appointment this afternoon with an oncologist after referral by my internist, following several wonky blood tests.  Sure, why not?  Literally everybody in the family dies of cancer, so I'm ready for it. Hopefully it's the kind that my numbers strongly suggest it is, in which case it's more of a PitA with 20+ years survival being the norm. I'd better live that long, just to have time to get another ADA file set up.

Still.  I'm so done with this year. It's also included major surgery for ALHS and the loss of three close colleagues all within a three-month span.   

Sorry.  This is way too long. I'm just feeling aggravated as hell this morning, and since the ortho and cancer issues are nobody's business and I'm only talking to my BFF and ALHS about them, I'm about to melt down if I don't tell somebody. Thanks for indulging me.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Oh, no. I recall your earlier post and was thinking about that; hoped that you hadn't been back because things had been resolved.

People who hide behind paperwork are just mean.

The frustration is torturous, and the pettiness is sadistic.

I'm very sorry you're having to deal with all this.

It's like punishment for putting up with all that you've already put up with....the cosmos is certainly out of joint.

I add my good thoughts, prayers, wishes and hopes that it is resolved soon, and positively.

Also, I think someone has recently started a chronic pain thread here.

I know there was one that was very important to people on the old CHE Forum.

I'll poke around and see if I can find them both.

<......tries search engine on this forum.....it works rather well, in fact...>

OK, here's the most recent one here:

https://thefora.org/index.php?topic=599.msg10579#msg10579

On the old forum, one brief one was at:

https://www.chronicle.com/forums/index.php/topic,196316.0.html

(started by gennimom, it linked via PM to her to a Facebook page for academics dealing with chronic pain).

I think there was another one, but need to propitiate the search engine gods further, it appears...

I'll poke around there a bit more: there is an off-putting "error"-like message (that I've noticed recently when doing other searches there) but you can get around it by refreshing or repeating your search; dunno if they're trying to discourage use, or if it's just a by-product of the archiving process.

In all cases, you are cared for and people are thinking of you and wishing the best for you.

M.

mamselle

Back later, to vent, myself...

No, I can't now "summarize" the article you told me would be fine for a blog entry at the length it ended up at...if anything, I just found more info and would if anything lengthen it and just submit somewhere.

Meanwhile, it goes into the orphanage with all the other deserving, lovely, sweet articles that deserve "just a little fixing" to be submitted elsewhere...when and if an "elsewhere" appears.

Grumble....

M.