Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatGuy

Quote from: Cheerful on December 20, 2019, 06:39:03 AM
Quote from: RatGuy on December 19, 2019, 09:49:04 AM
What sort of crap is this?

This is what happens when brick and mortar stores close because people instead support a juggernaut called Amazon.  Somewhat similar to the Walmart phenomenon but the consequences of Amazon are much larger than the Walmart case.

Generally I order my games from Miniature Market. But in this case, Amazon is the only online retailer who has this particularly thing in stock. I'm guessing that some of their affiliates -- FLGSes in Maryland and Georgia, in this case -- think they have this in stock when they don't, or aren't actually shipping the game. I asked my FLGS, but they said they weren't able to get this particular game from the distributor. It's from 2015, so I didn't think it'd be this hard to find.

Cheerful

Quote from: RatGuy on December 20, 2019, 08:04:43 AM
Generally I order my games from Miniature Market. But in this case, Amazon is the only online retailer who has this particularly thing in stock. I'm guessing that some of their affiliates -- FLGSes in Maryland and Georgia, in this case -- think they have this in stock when they don't, or aren't actually shipping the game. I asked my FLGS, but they said they weren't able to get this particular game from the distributor. It's from 2015, so I didn't think it'd be this hard to find.

Apologies if I implied I was blaming you for buying from Amazon.  Hope their tracking data are correct and you get the game in time.

downer

Chronicles of unnecessary security.

The school emails me my contract in a password protected PDF. They also separately email me instructions for the password, which they put in the title of the PDF.

Anyone who hacks my email will be able to get both the instructions and the PDF.

It is not as if it needed to be secured in the first place. It contains no senstive info, unless the pathetic pay counts.

What a waste of time.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

That's like the instructions in the employee handbook to report a malfunctioning desktop computer by filing a ticket on the IT website.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mythbuster

Decided this is better here than the various dog threads.
      Dear neighborhood dog owners. Please don't just let your dog out your front door without being on a leash! I have now had three encounters  in the last two weeks while walking my dog. In all three cases the dog bounds out the door and comes running up to mine- all three times running into/across the street in the process. Your dog may be friendly (called out to me three times), but mine does not like the power imbalance of being the one on a leash. She loves people and even little kids, but is defensive around other dogs. In once case we had a tussle as a result. The other two the owners were able to call back their dog before a full encounter, in part because I was yelling at their dog to stay back.
   The real kicker is that one of these dogs actually was quite aggressive to mine about a month ago when they both encountered each other on leashes. So "friendly" my ass- really it's a poorly trained dog.

FishProf

We have a WAITLIST so we know what the unsatisfied demand is.  Why are you asking me to add you into a full course when you aren't even ON the waitlist?!  Why would you think that would work?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Well....waiting is for all those other people.

I'm special.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

bibliothecula

There was coconut in that chocolate candy. BLEEECH.

mamselle

Oh, oh, oh!

I'll take it (but not if you've taken a bite out of it first).

My little brother used to poke a hole with his thumb into the bottom of all the candies in the Russel Stover's special mixed box of chocolates.

My mom had told him he couldn't take a bite out of them to try them, so he figured it was better to check them out before he had to eat something he didn't like.

But we all liked the coconut ones...especially if they had DARK chocolate...

M

apl68

Quote from: bibliothecula on January 07, 2020, 01:15:56 PM
There was coconut in that chocolate candy. BLEEECH.

AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

lillipat

New protocols from HR, which seems determined to operate as though we're a manufacturing facility rather than an educational institution, are making my job more difficult.  The petty tyrannies of functionaries who don't understand how adjuncts are found and vetted for qualifications are aggravating me this week.

ciao_yall

Apparently someone has a "new vision" for my group, which involves telling a client we can't meet their federal grant needs and numerous students that their class is cancelled so here's your refund.

mamselle

Sounds like the third part of this vision is closing down the school....

M.

ciao_yall

Quote from: mamselle on January 09, 2020, 09:27:40 AM
Sounds like the third part of this vision is closing down the school....

M.

The whole thing is getting a bit comical, actually. 

paultuttle

Quote from: mamselle on January 07, 2020, 06:39:24 PM
Oh, oh, oh!

I'll take it (but not if you've taken a bite out of it first).

My little brother used to poke a hole with his thumb into the bottom of all the candies in the Russel Stover's special mixed box of chocolates.

My mom had told him he couldn't take a bite out of them to try them, so he figured it was better to check them out before he had to eat something he didn't like.

But we all liked the coconut ones...especially if they had DARK chocolate...

M

Bolded for emphasis.

signed, someone who LOVES coconut and chocolate in the same mouthful