Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ab_grp

Quote from: mamselle on January 15, 2020, 08:27:33 PM
Sounds like a vinhale.

Glad for your nonpareil spouse and more hidden sweets to enjoy!

M.

I guess I should have checked for a vinhale thread here, but my intentions about venting were pure and good at the outset.  Thanks for the kind words.  Sending you a virtual nonpareil!

Economizer

Thank you for replies 202,203,204, 205 to my reply 201.  Although short, those were very informative conversation.  I have a strong clear voice, also my children have that quality.  On this subject, I do fear that they are damaging that and wish to advise them (to what effect?).
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!

FishProf

I received your request to present in my department classes. While your particular student group or pet cause is all well and good, but using 10-15 minutes of class time is not appropriate. 

No, going to the Dean won't help.  If you do go, can I watch?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

On the "wish I could say" side of venting:

I'm getting tired of plowing through your excess verbiage and making windows in the brick walls of your sentences.

Some days, "edit" is a four-letter word...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

Jesus H Christ. I have to tell people not to share files with me via MS OneDrive. What a disastrously user unfriendly interface. Took me 15 mins to work out how to download the file. Death to Microsoft.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

More serious vent.

I hope I only sprained my ankle when I slipped on that black ice on the neighbor's sidewalk across the street.

I wrapped it, called a cab, got to the place I need to be first today, and got set up.

Have to get through this meeting, then decisions must be made.

Teach or not? Cancel the last student, or not??

Hmmm....

Grrr....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Dear difficult faculty member,
Policies change.  That they have changed isn't a grand conspiracy, and it certainly isn't directed at you.  You don't have to participate.  Someone else can supervise your students, and  get the compensation, if you won't.

Also, if you "aren't the only one who feels this way" why are you the only one I EVER hear from about this?

Fishprof
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

ab_grp

Quote from: mamselle on January 23, 2020, 07:26:11 AM
More serious vent.

I hope I only sprained my ankle when I slipped on that black ice on the neighbor's sidewalk across the street.

I wrapped it, called a cab, got to the place I need to be first today, and got set up.

Have to get through this meeting, then decisions must be made.

Teach or not? Cancel the last student, or not??

Hmmm....

Grrr....

M.

Sorry to hear about your ankle, Mamselle.  I hope it's nothing too serious and feels better soon.

mamselle

Well, it's broken at the lowest end of the tibia, but it doesn't hurt.

They splinted it, and I'm crutching (or crawling backwards when I'm too lazy to fight with the crutches), but no great pain is involved.

Except the need to go to an orthopedic office for actual casting (why couldn't they be in-house???) and the threat of surgery if it proves too hard to cast...grrrrr....

Definitely NOT  what I'd planned for....

At least the editing, research and writing will get done...can't go traipsing around to do much else at the moment!

And oddly, it really doesn't hurt. I slept fine, only find getting around to be a hassle, but that's relatively painless, too...just tiresome and tiring!

Thanks for your kind thoughts!

M.

namazu

Best wishes for speedy and complete healing, mamselle!

mamselle

Thanks. It usually takes six weeks, from all I've ever heard, so I'm planning accordingly!

The fun part may be the need to fly out for a board meeting in a couple weeks.

I asked about it, and the PA said, yes, but you'll have to ride around in one of those golf carts to your gate.

I've always thought that would be fun, having the thing go "beep-beep" and having people let you go by!

M.

PTonTT

Mamselle, Sorry about your ankle.  I think that a break is actually better than a sprained ankle in terms of healing time and structural integrity after it is healed.  They don't cast broken bones right away because they have to wait for the swelling to go down (and make sure that the swelling won't go up).  Either way, not fun. Wishing you well.

mamselle

Thanks! I didn't realize that...makes better sense.

I'll have to find something else to fuss about now...

;--}

M.

Cheerful

Glad you're not in pain, mamselle.

Be good to yourself and get well soon!

the_geneticist

Wishing you a speedy recovery and much fun making the horn "beep! beep!" on your airport travels.
You could get one of those wheeled bench-type leg scooters.  Those are popular for our students since it's hard to have both a backpack and crutches.  Just resist the urge to ride it downhill at high speed.