Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheerful

Quote from: FishProf on December 29, 2020, 07:43:55 AM
No, MrsFishProf I am not "On Vacation". 
[...]
And colleagues, you are not on vacation either....You have been warned.

All work and no relaxation with some full days completely away from all work isn't good.  Work will always be there.  The best days of your life and family will not.  Just sayin'.  All the best to you.

vanty4366

Something similar happened to me recently. Department chair doesn't know what 12/23 and 12/30 mean and still sends you work to do. Btw, I'm a student assistant. It's like she's afraid I might get bored on vacation and right before my break she assigns tasks. Who would do that??

No, MrsFishProf I am not "On Vacation".  Yes, I am not teaching classes at the moment, but I am still prepping classes, finishing grades, running a department, managing budgets, arranging internships, doing my own research etc. etc.

YOU (MFP) are on vacation b/c the nature of, and you approach to, your job is such that teaching = work and not teaching = vacation.  After 12 years together, I would expect you to get this....

And colleagues, you are not on vacation either, nor is the university closed until Feb 1.  Take that autoreply down or face the wrath of the Dean.  You have been warned.

On the other hand, Students - it is the week between Xmas and NewYearDay. NO, I won't zoom with you to discuss your grade.  If you cannot figure out why you didn't pass the class when you DID.NOT.TAKE.THE.FINAL. then no amount of zooming will help you.  Try back next week.

And KNEES!  I can't seriously entertain renewing my workouts or running when sitting makes you so stiff I can't straighten you or walk for 10 minutes.  Knock it off!

FishProf

Quote from: Cheerful on December 29, 2020, 08:14:15 AM
No, MrsFishProf I am not "On Vacation". 
[...]
And colleagues, you are not on vacation either....You have been warned.

All work and no relaxation with some full days completely away from all work isn't good.  Work will always be there.  The best days of your life and family will not.  Just sayin'.  All the best to you.

Fine.  Of course.  Don't put it in your autoreply.

Also, taking the week from Xmas-NYD =/= taking until Feb 1st.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

Could it be a type for Jan 1st?

(Or is this someone who actually believes what they wrote to begin with...?)

Still, commiserations.

As I've noted elsewhere, I'm typing a transcription of the most awful meeting ever, complete with calm, weird meltdowns, completely contradictory claims in successive sentences, etc.

My eyes want to cross behind my head.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

Quote from: mamselle on December 30, 2020, 11:13:24 AM
Could it be a type for Jan 1st?

(Or is this someone who actually believes what they wrote to begin with...?)

Not a Typo - that is the delayed start date for the Spring.  And yes, I'm sure many of my colleagues really truly believe it.  They are wrong. 

These same folks don't have a final exam in the Spring so "summer vacation" starts on May 1 and they don't do a thing until Sept1.  They are on contract 1Sept-31May.

There was quite the hue and cry when some of them came back to discover that several MAJOR policies were passed (by quite narrow margins) at the meetings in May they didn't bother to attend.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

QuoteThere was quite the hue and cry when some of them came back to discover that several MAJOR policies were passed (by quite narrow margins) at the meetings in May they didn't bother to attend.

Oooppssss...!

In more cheerful venting, I fear I may have unleashed a small demon on the world.

Who know my six-year-old piano student would get so excited about diminutions, improvisation, AND using the (free, downloadable music app) MuseScore to notate them all?

It's getting truly scary.

He doesn't quite have perfect pitch, but pretty good relative pitch, his rhythm is very decent, and his two older siblings actually set pretty good examples (and are proving infinitely patient in answering all his questions about the software, thank goodness).

Balancing between the up-ramping game to keep him alert and growing and the need to keep it playful and appropriate for a six-year-old is a great problem to have, but I'm really going to have to think about this more specifically than I've ever had to before.

The sibs are teaching Python and Advanced Python to their peers (for pay....at that age, I was babysitting) and taking advanced trig and calculus privately, so it's a family thing, and they're all very cheerful and light-hearted about it all, so I think they'll be able to take it in stride, but, still...

I was talking to his mom about something after their lessons and he burst into the room with the software already downloaded, one new piece in progress, and wanting to know how to start another new file because he had a different composition in mind.

I feel like I'm holding onto the string of a very strong kite: I don't want to let go, but I need to give it as much freedom as possible so it can enjoy the wind.

Speaking of venting...(sorry).

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Looks like I'll be spending the first money of 2021 today. What we thought was just a hose replacement under the sink appears to be a broken shut off valve. Yay. So, we're now waiting for someone to stop by and hopefully fix it.

mamselle

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on January 01, 2021, 03:09:29 PM
Oh, no.

M.

Actually, we got somewhat of a deal. We were pretty sure the faucet was broken and the plumber confirmed it. He said he'd fix the valve for free and install a new faucet for a couple hundred bucks. Not too bad.

sinenomine

My niece, who has used her wedding invitation as a vehicle to crowdsource her honeymoon (which they skipped, banking the money) and who has not been in contact with me for years, just sent me an invitation to her baby shower, many states away — an overt request for a gift. So I sent a onesie from a local museum, which at least means a book will be donated to a community in need.
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

apl68

I'm being distracted at work today by a terrible ear ache.  My ears are very sensitive to changes in the weather.  Wild temperature swings of the sort that have come to be the norm here all winter long really do a number on them.  Now my head is hurting, and that is making me grit my teeth and pop my jaw.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

mamselle

Ear wax can prevent tiny bits of water from draining and cause pressure buildups (I get this sometimes).

First aid: A bit of rubbing alcohol on a tissue, rubbed on the surface not far at all into the ear (to prevent injury to the tiny bones inside) may help evaporate any water that's gotten in from showering, swimming, etc. There are also "swimmer's ear" drops, that are also basically rubbing alcohol, in most drugstores.

Beyond First Aid: If the pain is serious, sharp or persistent there could be an infection behind the wax, which requires medical intervention for removal and an antibiotic to resolve the infection itself.

Of course, if you get this a lot, you probably know all this...

Hope it feels better soon!

M.

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on January 04, 2021, 08:22:38 AM
Ear wax can prevent tiny bits of water from draining and cause pressure buildups (I get this sometimes).

First aid: A bit of rubbing alcohol on a tissue, rubbed on the surface not far at all into the ear (to prevent injury to the tiny bones inside) may help evaporate any water that's gotten in from showering, swimming, etc. There are also "swimmer's ear" drops, that are also basically rubbing alcohol, in most drugstores.

Beyond First Aid: If the pain is serious, sharp or persistent there could be an infection behind the wax, which requires medical intervention for removal and an antibiotic to resolve the infection itself.

Of course, if you get this a lot, you probably know all this...

Hope it feels better soon!

M.

Thank you.

Yes, I do know this.  I had my ears cleaned by the doctor some months ago.  What I have at the moment is showing the hallmarks of a seasonal problem I've had for years.  It normally goes away in a day or two.  If it doesn't, then I go to the doctor.

apl68

Our financial and accounting software at work has failed to open.  That's a serious problem, because today is the day each week that I do payroll and bill paying. 

I've been online with the company's representatives trying to get the situation resolved.  Still no fix.  I'm currently waiting for a third rep, who is supposed to be a "Second Tier" support expert, to call.

In 16 years I've never failed to get the payroll out on time.

the_geneticist

Dear co-worker,
I need your signature on [a thing].  You are not answering your emails.  You apparently don't check your campus phone messages or your on campus mail box.  I wish we were on campus so I could find you in your office and get you to sign the damn piece of paper.  Yes, I know you're busy.  I'm busy.  We are all busy.  Don't make me look up your address and start sending you snail mail at home.
Grumble.