News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Spring Break 2020 Plans?

Started by clean, October 29, 2019, 11:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

I know that it is early, but have you begun to make a Spring Break Plan?

I wanted to go on a cruise. I had picked out 2. One out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Western Caribbean and the other out of LA to Mexico.  The Mexico trip is the old 'Love Boat' itinerary that includes Cabo, Matzatplan and Puerto Vallarta then back to LA.  The prices of both cruises are reasonable.  The flight costs, are NOT!!  I was looking the last few days at flight choices, and while the cruise would be in the $650 neighborhood per person (including port taxes), the flights would cost as much or more!   Even Southwest flights this far out are in the more expensive ranges where it could cost $500 or more just for the return flight alone! 

I have cruised before, especially to Alaska in May, and found that my flights are expensive (especially because I have sometimes chosen first class tickets because of the duration) but to find flight prices as much or more than the cruise prices, five months out is discouraging!! 

At this point, Im not sure IF i will even try to go anywhere for Spring Break, and that is discouraging!   

Have you started thinking about Spring Break planning yet?  Are you finding the prices in line with what you expected?  Any suggestions?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Parasaurolophus

It's pretty much my longest break of the year, apart from the Christmas holidays. I plan to stay at home and do nothing at all, unless it's work on a book.

But things might intrude. Sigh.
I know it's a genus.

ergative

We want to go back to the cottage we rented last week and not lose two days to illness (see the venting thread). Normally I'm with Parasaurolophus, and prefer to just stay home, with all my things around me. I feel as if every time we have a vacation I'm all geared up to think, 'oh, thank goodness, I can stay home for a week', and then Absolutive jumps about asking 'where shall we go this time? Amsterdam? San Francisco? Florida? The Scottish Highlands? Iceland? Dublin?' But this was a good cottage. It was comfy and quieter than home, even, and well connected with buses and trains and hiking and even a herd of semi-tame reindeer that you can go feed. I won't mind spending another vacation there.

downer

I am contemplating hiking in the Grand Canyon. Or something like that.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

larryc

Two years ago a friend and I flew into Phoenix and rented a car and spent the week exploring the desert. It was enchanting, warm days and the desert in bloom from the spring rains. I'm trying to get my wife to repeat this trip with me this year, but she wants to go to New Orleans.

I guess I'm going to New Orleans.

lightning

A colleague is trying to sweet-talk me into accompanying a busload of students on their spring break field trip. I'm desperately trying to find a conflicting conference date, and when I do, I will submit the best abstract/paper I have ever written in my life.

Bede the Vulnerable

It's a great question.  I really need to give it some thought.  My book MS is due at the press in February, and so spring break should be a big celebration.  I'd really like to celebrate by going somewhere fun that I haven't been before (e.g., Mexico City, which is near the top of my list).  But the missus and I will be spending our vacation money for the year on a trip to Paris over winter break.  Thus, another trip is out of the question.  Maybe a staycation and a bunch of naps will be in order?  That sounds inexpensive.

Or perhaps I'll spend the break furiously trying to finish the MS that I didn't quite get submitted in February.  If so, problem solved!
Of making many books there is no end;
And much study is a weariness of the flesh.

paddington_bear

Spring Break seems like so many months - and seasons! - from now!  Next year I turn the big 5-0 and wanted to take a celebratory trip in the summer. (To be honest, I had hoped that I'd be moving to a new job next summer, but the market is terrible this year so I don't think I'm applying anywhere.)  I was thinking of a 10-  or 12-day cruise on Norwegian or another major line, maybe to Europe or Greece - or a river cruise that I see advertised on PBS all the time. But my garage is falling apart so I think that my present to myself is going to be a new garage in late spring or early summer. A shorter and less expensive cruise over spring break might be a good option. Not the once-in-a-lifetime 50th present I had envisioned, but it'd be a chance to get out of the snow and gloom of late March in Paddingtonville.

Puget

Quote from: downer on October 29, 2019, 02:38:13 PM

Consider Canyonlands NP -- it's the perfect time of year for it and it does not disappoint (do a google image search).

We have a late Feb break, and I usually just work through it, but depending on what sort of winter we're having I may be tempted to escape someplace warm.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

hmaria1609

I'm going on my 1st river cruise next spring. There was a promotional sale on the cruise website about waiving the single supplement for select dates.  When the cruise ends, I'm staying in the final city for 2 days before flying home to the US.

paddington_bear

hmaria1609, which cruise operator are you using? I had contemplated taking a river cruise this summer (see my post above). The single supplements seem so unfair and haven't found many cruises that don't have them.

downer

Quote from: Puget on October 30, 2019, 04:19:36 PM

Consider Canyonlands NP -- it's the perfect time of year for it and it does not disappoint (do a google image search).

We have a late Feb break, and I usually just work through it, but depending on what sort of winter we're having I may be tempted to escape someplace warm.

Thanks for the suggestion!
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Puget

Quote from: downer on October 31, 2019, 06:33:35 AM

Thanks for the suggestion!

The Needles section has a big car campground by the trailhead and great backpacking sites if that's your thing (and there are still permits available)-- a friend and I went during spring break in grad school and had a site that was only about 3.5 miles in but in a canyon by itself, and did day hikes from there for 3 days. We said "wow" so many times  it became the word of the trip.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

AvidReader

Canyonlands is beautiful, and I'm also a huge fan of Arches NP, which is just across the street.

AR.

hmaria1609

Quote from: paddington_bear on October 31, 2019, 06:30:12 AM
hmaria1609, which cruise operator are you using? I had contemplated taking a river cruise this summer (see my post above). The single supplements seem so unfair and haven't found many cruises that don't have them.
Avalon Waterways

Viking is the one featured before the "Masterpiece" shows since the company is a corporate sponsor.