News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Spring Break 2020 Plans?

Started by clean, October 29, 2019, 11:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Quote from: the_geneticist on March 09, 2020, 11:27:22 AM
Hoping to battle weeds in the garden, drink lots of tea, read lots of books, and escape into the wilderness for a few days.
This does hinge on me getting Spring term all planned out in the next two weeks.
And on the campus not suddenly demanding that I have a "ready to launch" plan of how to teach a molecular biology lab for nonmajors if we have to teach "remotely" or "online".  Any ideas?

Online teaching strategies have been under discussion on this coronavirus thread:

http://thefora.org/index.php?topic=1093.45

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

I am either leading a class trip to the Florida Keys, or I am.....not.

I haven't really planned that second option, yet.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Vkw10

My small conference just got cancelled, so I'll be staying home for Spring Break next week. Time to start thinking about fun projects.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

nescafe

I'm canceling my spring break trip abroad and will do something a bit closer to home instead (and far away from crowded spaces, it seems).

FishProf

mamselle

Be a tourist in your own town?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Learning how to use skype, or something similar, I guess. Quarantine's coming; employer provides computer and crash course training. No excuses. School "B" doesn't provide anything. Wonder what they're going to do if the outbreak spreads?

FishProf

I guess we'd better do local field trips while we still can.

Or go out into the woods, and stand far apart, for classes.

clean

IF we count the time it took to get the tax software from BestBuy, I have spent about three hours getting my taxes ready today.

i am not going to submit today, though. I may still be waiting for some K-1 form because of one stock I owned last year.  As far as I know, I have not yet seen it in the mail, but that is one of the forms that has a later filing/mailing date.  SO, My taxes are ALMOST done, I think. I will wait 2 more weeks, and then have turbo Tax submit the file for my $1471 refund.  (I doubt that the K-1 will change that, not by much if it does!, but better to wait than to risk an audit or having to file an amended return).

So that I ONE item down on the Spring Break List!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

clean

Is Spring Break over now, (because it already happened, or was it cancelled?)

Was it what you expected?
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

I taught online for the first time, enjoyed it, and am planning more such options.

I got more work done on two invited blogs, and once those are done, I'll get to do more on a book project that's ongoing.

I did some work on my day-to-day pay-the-rent-and-feed-the-cats job, and have some more to do.

I started a couple sewing projects and a knitting project (see the new thread!)...

Ummm....Spring Break? Independent scholars make their own breaks on their own time, all the time.

But that's what I did in the past two weeks, and I enjoyed it.

M.

apl68

This week was our K-12 schools' Spring Break.  We had a whole slate of Spring Break activities for children planned at the library.  None of which we could do, sigh.

I'm still coming in to my physical workplace 9-5, five days a week.  Which is actually less than I'm used to working, although it hasn't really been feeling like it.  I guess the general stress of the Plague Year is tiring us all out.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

the_geneticist

Quote from: the_geneticist on March 09, 2020, 11:27:22 AM
Hoping to battle weeds in the garden, drink lots of tea, read lots of books, and escape into the wilderness for a few days.
This does hinge on me getting Spring term all planned out in the next two weeks.
And on the campus not suddenly demanding that I have a "ready to launch" plan of how to teach a molecular biology lab for nonmajors if we have to teach "remotely" or "online".  Any ideas?

Well, I have been battling weeds in the garden and drinking lots of tea.
Other than that, I've been working to get my newly online labs ready to go for next week. 
Sigh, no escaping into the wilderness for me right now.  Too many meetings, urgent emails, etc.  And the entire state is under a "stay at home" order. 

hmaria1609

I've canceled my river cruise. Avalon Waterways has suspended its operations and European countries have closed their borders. I'll rebook for next year.

Vkw10

Spring Break? Oh, the first week of emergency meetings about pivot to remote teaching and essential services. None of my vague ideas for fun projects surfaced.

I'm grateful remote classes start Monday. Maybe we'll see some semblance of routine develop. Even if the meetings about projected low summer enrollments and budget cuts did start today.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)