News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Persuaded the Board of Trustees' financial committee to put staff pay increases in next year's budget.  Now to see if we can get the Board as a whole to pass it next week.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

Parasaurolophus

I learned yesyerday that 'urgent care' is not synonymous with 'emergency'--at least, not in the US, and perhaps it's more widespread in the Anglosphere?

It seems ludicrous to me.
I know it's a genus.

Harlow2

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 09, 2021, 03:26:56 PM
I learned yesyerday that 'urgent care' is not synonymous with 'emergency'--at least, not in the US, and perhaps it's more widespread in the Anglosphere?

My experience is that it is urgent only in the sense that you might not wait days for an appointment, only hours. My physician's practice uses theirs as a spillover when their own appointments are all booked.

mamselle

Quote from: apl68 on November 08, 2021, 03:17:15 PM
Persuaded the Board of Trustees' financial committee to put staff pay increases in next year's budget.  Now to see if we can get the Board as a whole to pass it next week.

Yea!

Step one of the tango.

Have fun with the tangled-legs part that comes next...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

If this is in the context of an urgent care center, than yes, it is not the same as an emergency room-- urgent care is meant for things that are, well, urgent but not an emergency-- e.g., flu or other non-critical illness, sprains and minor breaks, needing a few stitches, etc. The wait is likely to be shorter than an ER, and the cost substantially lower. They will transfer patients to the ER if they deem it necessary. It's actually a fairly good system to keep stuff out of the ER that doesn't need to be in the ER.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Puget on November 09, 2021, 06:01:00 PM

If this is in the context of an urgent care center, than yes, it is not the same as an emergency room-- urgent care is meant for things that are, well, urgent but not an emergency-- e.g., flu or other non-critical illness, sprains and minor breaks, needing a few stitches, etc. The wait is likely to be shorter than an ER, and the cost substantially lower. They will transfer patients to the ER if they deem it necessary. It's actually a fairly good system to keep stuff out of the ER that doesn't need to be in the ER.

Yeah. I'm Francophone, so 'urgence' just means 'emergency'. It was especially surprising to see 'urgent care' not tied to a hospital at all.
I know it's a genus.

Puget

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 09, 2021, 06:04:27 PM

Yeah. I'm Francophone, so 'urgence' just means 'emergency'. It was especially surprising to see 'urgent care' not tied to a hospital at all.

I can see how that would be confusing, but it does make sense in English.
Some are in hospitals but many are not. The one near me is run by the nearest hospital but about 5 miles from it. It puts urgent care more accessibly in each community.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

I had to do a quick tiny double-take as well...not Francophone as my first language but if I get used to another usage like that, I can sometimes get them mixed up...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Puget on November 09, 2021, 06:11:36 PM

I can see how that would be confusing, but it does make sense in English.
Some are in hospitals but many are not. The one near me is run by the nearest hospital but about 5 miles from it. It puts urgent care more accessibly in each community.

Here, in my neck of the woods, a hospital is where you go (or are taken) for getting immediate treatment for "emergencies" such as heart attacks, strokes, seizures, severe injuries such as gunshot and stab wounds, and other serious issues. The patients might also need to be hospitalized. An urgent care facility, on the other hand, is a place where you go (as opposed to being taken) so that you can be seen by a physician immediately, without having to wait a week or longer to be seen by your physician. Unlike your physician's office, urgent care facilities are open until 9 PM or later on weekdays, and are also open on weekends. Appointments are optional; I've never had to wait for more than 10 minutes for any of my walk-in appointments. You can get tested for the flu/Covid, get X-rays and other diagnostic tests, and prescriptions. Google CityMD for more information on urgent care facilities.

The ERs of several hospitals here are nightmares, to say the least. I once drove across the city to go to one that was recommended by a student because the "local" one is a place to avoid at all costs unless you don't have insurance. Fortunately, I was well enough to drive. Another student reported going to an ER for her child and then leaving after three hours because she and the child kept getting sicker just by being in that ER.

apl68

Our local hospital--a rural hospital, the only one for about 40 miles around--used to have a terrible reputation for long waits.  Waits of hours unless you were clearly about to die were the norm.  I was honestly shocked years ago to learn that they were the second-largest employer in the region, since I had gotten the impression that they had scarcely any staff at all.  It was bad enough that people would drive an hour to use an out-of-town ER.  Forget any sort of "critical care" centers.  They just don't exist in our region.

In recent years a new administrative head has turned the place around.  Waits are much less, care is much better, staff morale is higher.  He has attracted a number of good-quality doctors to practice in the region.  He brings in medical imaging equipment that is as good as--or even better than--what you'll see in the state capital.  It was one of the first hospitals in the state to offer infusion treatments for COVID, which probably helps to explain why our county seems to have a higher COVID survival rate than some neighboring counties.  The right leadership can make all the difference in the world.
All we like sheep have gone astray
We have each turned to his own way
And the Lord has laid upon him the guilt of us all

cathwen

What I want to tell the person who gave a lecture last night on a historical figure I find interesting:  Learn to pronounce French names correctly. 

She murdered the names of people and cities, one of which came up frequently; every time she mangled it, I flinched.  This was an online lecture sponsored by a respected institution, for which I paid a fee, and while the content was fine, I found it amazing that a person could spend so much time researching someone from a certain part of the world and still be so far off the mark. In one case, I had no idea who she was talking about until in dawned on me that she was using German pronunciation rules for the person's name.  And other times I couldn't figure out if she was referencing a city or the surrounding province, whose name was somewhat similar. 

It's one thing to pronounce foreign words with an American accent, but wholesale mispronunciations are another thing entirely.  C'mon!  At least consult Wikipedia's pronunciation guide. 

mamselle

Quote from: cathwen on November 10, 2021, 07:35:00 AM
What I want to tell the person who gave a lecture last night on a historical figure I find interesting:  Learn to pronounce French names correctly. 

She murdered the names of people and cities, one of which came up frequently; every time she mangled it, I flinched.  This was an online lecture sponsored by a respected institution, for which I paid a fee, and while the content was fine, I found it amazing that a person could spend so much time researching someone from a certain part of the world and still be so far off the mark. In one case, I had no idea who she was talking about until in dawned on me that she was using German pronunciation rules for the person's name.  And other times I couldn't figure out if she was referencing a city or the surrounding province, whose name was somewhat similar. 

It's one thing to pronounce foreign words with an American accent, but wholesale mispronunciations are another thing entirely.  C'mon!  At least consult Wikipedia's pronunciation guide.

I hate that!!! NAILS-ON-CHALKBOOOOOOOAAAARRRRDDDD---cringe-worthy, indeed, and very unprofessional.

One of the reasons I keep doing stuff in French like singing, putting my Wikipedia site and one of my email sites in French as a default, and listening to lots of French films, etc., is to keep my ear and my pronunciation up to par.

I had noticed at one point that getting away from it, even for a few months, made my mouth not want to form the sounds correctly, and I realized I didn't want that to be my default.

(And I want my cousin from Liege to understand me on the phone when we talk, too....)

It has come to me to seem very rude not to take the effort to pronounce non-English words and names as correctly as possible. Others try very hard to get their English right, Anglophones owe them at least that much.....

M.

cathwen

^^^This exactly.  And "nails on chalkboard" was exactly how I described it to my husband. 

Langue_doc

Speaking of accents, here is Kamala Harris putting on a fake French accent when talking to scientists in France:

https://www.tyla.com/news/kamala-harris-vice-president-french-accent-twitter-20211111

Headline in the NY Post:
Kamala-vous francais? VP Harris mocked for appearing to use French accent during Paris visit

AmLitHist

Cathwen, your post made me giggle and think of this clip from The Simpsons

(When someone mispronounces--especially newbies on local news here in St. Louis--"run like the wind" has been an inside joke at our house for years.)