Author Topic: The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People  (Read 35636 times)

FishProf

• Distinguished Senior Member
  • Haphazard
  • CHE Posts: 3,914
Re: The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People
« Reply #585 on: November 19, 2021, 11:10:24 AM »
I am utterly burnt-out and it is all I can do to not mail it in for the rest of the semester.  I quit being Chair at the right time (except earlier would have been better) and my upcoming sabbatical can't start soon enough.
And how is that working out for you?

ciao_yall

« Reply #586 on: November 19, 2021, 11:42:10 AM »
The jury has found Rittenhouse not guilty on all counts.

That's a travesty. It's also--for the free speech heroes among us--going to seriously chill protest, since it makes it clear that murdering protesters is permissible (as if all those new laws allowing you to run them over didn't already).

Agreed. I'm guessing the jury felt sorry for the dumb kid.

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #587 on: November 19, 2021, 11:44:36 AM »
The idiot judge's signaling moves didn't help, either.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

marshwiggle

• Finally, a
  • Old Narnian
  • CHE Posts: 3299
« Reply #588 on: November 19, 2021, 12:05:42 PM »

That's a travesty. It's also--for the free speech heroes among us--going to seriously chill protest, since it makes it clear that murdering protesters is permissible (as if all those new laws allowing you to run them over didn't already).

Are you particularly sorry for the one who beat Rittenhouse over the head with a skateboard, or the one who (by his own admission on the stand) got shot after he pointed his gun at Rittenhouse?
It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

• near crested lizard
  • Senior Moderator
  • CHE Posts: 1640
« Reply #589 on: November 19, 2021, 01:29:52 PM »

Are you particularly sorry for the one who beat Rittenhouse over the head with a skateboard, or the one who (by his own admission on the stand) got shot after he pointed his gun at Rittenhouse?

Remember that Rittenhouse had already murdered one person when someone tried to disarm him with a skateboard, and two people by the time the gun was pointed at him.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

« Reply #590 on: November 19, 2021, 03:24:16 PM »
I am utterly burnt-out and it is all I can do to not mail it in for the rest of the semester.  I quit being Chair at the right time (except earlier would have been better) and my upcoming sabbatical can't start soon enough.

Do you find aquariums soothing?

Maybe Smolt would like to meet the octopuses and watch the rock-hopper penguins cavorting...

;--}

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

FishProf

• Haphazard
« Reply #591 on: November 20, 2021, 06:13:21 AM »

Maybe Smolt would like to meet the octopuses and watch the rock-hopper penguins cavorting...

;--}

M.

I very much do.  That trip will be the final for my Marine Bio class and it can't come soon enough.  The final is an aquarium version of my dinosaurs final at Yale.

I might just camp out in the aquarium afterwards.

mamselle

« Reply #592 on: November 20, 2021, 10:13:16 AM »

;--}

M.

I very much do.  That trip will be the final for my Marine Bio class and it can't come soon enough.  The final is an aquarium version of my dinosaurs final at Yale.

I might just camp out in the aquarium afterwards.

A friend-of-a-friend, 20 years ago, now, was an aquarium volunteer, and got to do cool stuff "backstage" with the critters.  We were allowed to visit, it was very interesting to see all the tubes, pumps, and extra fitties in spare tanks in the back (they had several jumpers).

The book "The Soul of an Octopus" reminded me of that, one of my students was reading it and loaned it to me.

M.

FishProf

• Haphazard
« Reply #593 on: November 20, 2021, 10:36:42 AM »
My FIL was one of the engineers who designed the tank and we got a deep look behind the curtain when they remodeled.  Very interesting, and a bit scary.

mamselle

« Reply #594 on: November 20, 2021, 03:41:12 PM »
My FIL was one of the engineers who designed the tank and we got a deep look behind the curtain when they remodeled.  Very interesting, and a bit scary.

Wow.

M.

Economizer

« Reply #595 on: November 23, 2021, 01:49:27 AM »
Lowering gas prices? Drill more wells? Bring in more tankers, release reserves, build pipelines, fill pipelines, change engines and what powers them. Hmmm,
taxes, EUREKA! Lowering fuel taxes temporarily.  Too little? Heck, even a matter of cents would be greeted with joy by many businesses and ordinary folks!

When? Probably quickly. Our nation and its states have thousands of number crunchers who can create scenarios and compile and communicate and compare faster than you can say SNAP-CRACKLE-POP. And Re fuel prices, they've been just sitting on their tools and educations. Or, is any approach to meddling with government "Cookie Jars" a NO NO? PEOPLE, PEOPLEEEEEE!!! Not even for short term relief???
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 01:58:38 AM by Economizer »
So, I tried to straighten everything out and guess what I got for it.  No, really, just guess!