News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 11, 2021, 12:27:29 PM
Speaking of accents, here is Kamala Harris putting on a fake French accent when talking to scientists in France:

https://www.tyla.com/news/kamala-harris-vice-president-french-accent-twitter-20211111

Headline in the NY Post:
Kamala-vous francais? VP Harris mocked for appearing to use French accent during Paris visit

Did she? "Thee" is a legitimate way of pronoucing "the" in English, usually for emphasis. I'm not sure I hear any attempt at a French accent there.

Edit: granted, it's usually about whether what follows is a vowel. But it's also used for emphasis.
I know it's a genus.

dismalist

Speaking of accents, here is Kamala Harris putting on a fake French accent when talking to scientists in France:

https://www.tyla.com/news/kamala-harris-vice-president-french-accent-twitter-20211111

Headline in the NY Post:
Kamala-vous francais? VP Harris mocked for appearing to use French accent during Paris visit

There is definitely no French accent. [It's definitely emphasis.]

A French person speaking English with imperfect pronunciation might say "ze" for "the". Demonstrated here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ03xCX6Tdg; it's the second and third examples.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Puget

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 12, 2021, 10:51:43 AM

Headline in the NY Post:

Did she? "Thee" is a legitimate way of pronoucing "the" in English, usually for emphasis. I'm not sure I hear any attempt at a French accent there.

Edit: granted, it's usually about whether what follows is a vowel. But it's also used for emphasis.

Yah, this is a weird claim -- used all the time for emphasis in English. Also, maybe check your source Langue_doc-- I wouldn't go quoting the NY Post and expect to be taken seriously.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Langue_doc

Disclaimer: I posted the links without having listened to them, mea culpa. I've used up the five or six free articles in the Post, so couldn't hear for myself what the brouhaha was all about.

While the Post is biased in many respects it is far more reliable than the NYT for local news. Harris in France, however, does not fall under this category.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Langue_doc on November 12, 2021, 02:57:33 PM
Disclaimer: I posted the links without having listened to them, mea culpa. I've used up the five or six free articles in the Post, so couldn't hear for myself what the brouhaha was all about.

While the Post is biased in many respects it is far more reliable than the NYT for local news. Harris in France, however, does not fall under this category.

And in fairness, she has a history of unacceptable wisecracks. It's believable.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

hmaria1609

I passed a large convoy on the interstate this morning. It was a truck carrying ornaments for the National Christmas Tree!  Quite a jolly sighting.

mamselle

Cool!

A friend (a former forumite, in fact) was one of those invited to assist with decorations one year.

Apparently you just apply and they pick a couple people from each state.

There's a plan and you carry it out, directed by the designer.

I think my friend said they were mostly tying big ribbon bows to go in the hallways.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Just FYI, we are now completely cut off from the rest of the country by land, thanks to the flooding and mudslides. The highway connecting us to the rest of the country is projected to be closed all of next year.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

What, a big dinosaur like you stopped by a little mudslide?

I should think you could just stomp right over that!!

(Seriously--sorry!!)

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Morden

QuoteJust FYI, we are now completely cut off from the rest of the country by land, thanks to the flooding and mudslides. The highway connecting us to the rest of the country is projected to be closed all of next year.
The devastation is incredible, but I cannot imagine that it will be a whole year before the land routes are open again--even if in limited ways. Winter will undoubtedly be challenging for construction, especially on the Coquihalla (which is a miserable road in winter at the best of times).

mamselle

Just saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOjDmzk1ICU

I apologize if my earlier post seemed insensitive; I didn't realize quite how serious the flooding really was until I saw the video and heard the news.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on November 18, 2021, 11:07:52 AM
What, a big dinosaur like you stopped by a little mudslide?

I should think you could just stomp right over that!!

(Seriously--sorry!!)

M.

I wouldn't exactly say 'stopped', since that would imply I venture out into the world beyond my mountainous island.

Quote from: mamselle on November 18, 2021, 06:29:56 PM
Just saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOjDmzk1ICU

I apologize if my earlier post seemed insensitive; I didn't realize quite how serious the flooding really was until I saw the video and heard the news.

M.

Not to worry, it wasn't at all! It's serious for other people, inland. The rest of us have nothing much to show for it yet. Our dose of disruption will come later, since the flooded bits are where all our food comes from.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

The jury has found Rittenhouse not guilty on all counts.

That's a travesty. It's also--for the free speech heroes among us--going to seriously chill protest, since it makes it clear that murdering protesters is permissible (as if all those new laws allowing you to run them over didn't already).
I know it's a genus.