News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Merry Christmas!

Started by clean, December 24, 2019, 01:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

Many will be getting ready to meet with family and get ready for church services and opening some gifts.  Some will open tomorrow. 
However you do it, I hope that you are enjoying time with your family and get everything that you hope for this year! 

Merry Christmas to All!!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Bede the Vulnerable

Thank you!  Merry Christmas to you as well.
Of making many books there is no end;
And much study is a weariness of the flesh.

hmaria1609

Joyeux Noel! Merry Christmas!
Earlier we went to 4 pm Vigil Mass and had dinner at our favorite restaurant.

For your listening pleasure, here's Jim Carter reading "'Twas Night Before Christmas" as heard on the "Christmas at Downton Abbey" soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRD25i4k3lo

mamselle

Chanukah, Christmas, Divali, (earlier), Kwanzaa, and (later) Chinese New Year are also on my mind.

I'll wish "Happy Holidays" to all, and note that after watching three TV specials with my cousin in Belgium, I can't  get "Petit Papa Noel" out of my head..any one of the four renditions would have been enough...

We had a salad and real Coquilles St. Jacques (on real shells, I've only ever had them in a pastry nest before) for dinner, and sliced the Buche de Noel her friends gave us for dessert.

I think I'm making curried chicken with cashew nuts and some other stuff for tomorrow. In past years, it's been a strain to fit in all the parties we've either given or attended; this year people are away more (fine with me....rest and quiet are nice).

Three people stopped by to hear the accordion, too. That was fun.

M.

e're doing our gifts in the AM because my accordion purchase took up the time earlier in the week that I was going to use to wrap mine.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

Bah humbug.  I think Scrooge got a bum rap! 

But I hope all you'se's Christmases are most incredibly awesome!!
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mythbuster

God Yul as the Swedes would say. Christmas for me has gotten more complicated as I have gotten older. So I hope we all can find at least a moment of peace, calm, and or joy like when I was a child.
   And further hope for who are cooking, I hope it comes out well! Although when it doesn't, those are often the stronger memories.

clean

Did you get any unusual gifts this year?

Did you GIVE any unusual gifts this year?

What do you remember as your most unusual gift given or received?

For me, since I asked, I gave my father a garbage can filled with manure.  I had discovered that he had asked some friends if he could clean out their barn so that he could get fertilizer for his garden.  So I visited a cow pasture and filled up a metal can with it.  He got a big kick out of it and was glad to tell everyone about his 'gift'!  (and he got a lot of use out of the can as well!!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Anselm

I gave dollar coins to my nephews and nieces in Crown Royal velvet bags.   The boys got Eisenhower dollars and the girls got Susan B. Anthony dollars.  I like to think I was original with that idea.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

mahagonny

I got an unusual gift this year. A close family member is in a new relationship with a wonderful person after a period of setback and recovery.