News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Your Retirement Age

Started by Cheerful, January 17, 2020, 12:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pomegranate

Quote from: Volhiker78 on November 17, 2021, 08:33:07 AM
This thread prompted me to email my director that I'll be fully retired in 3 years (Age 68).  The last year I'll only work on the last grant that I am a co-investigator on so essentially done end of next year.   I'm not too worried about being bored.  I have some things I'd like to do  in terms of adult learning and volunteer work.  There is also a very good chance of another move on the horizon.  One thing I have noticed since the Pandemic is that my energy level isn't what it was in my 50'x.   Hopefully,  the energy level won't go totally to zero anytime soon!

That is a very good call; when my energy levels decrease, I would likely want to slowly think of retirement, especially if a move is in horizon. Without a move or after one is completely exhausted, it wouldnt be the same.

monarda

Nice to see this thread back.
I'm 61 and last week I switched to part-time. A 60% (3 day a week) appointment. I'm academic staff, and I think I'm going to like this transition phase!

larryc

I had always thought I'd teach until 70. I have a very privileged position where I teach a light load of mostly what I want. I am having fun, why stop?

Recently though my university has encountered enormous challenges and dealt with them in the worst ways possible (see the rant I just posted in Colleges in Financial Straits...) and also I inherited a tidy sum that was not entirely expected. So I am reevaluating that 70 idea. I am 60 and probably could retire in three years.

I ran this idea past my wife, though, and she said I shouldn't do it. Why not I asked her? "You need an audience, Larry." she said. "It can't just be me."

So negotiations continue.

clean

QuoteI ran this idea past my wife, though, and she said I shouldn't do it. Why not I asked her? "You need an audience, Larry." she said. "It can't just be me."

So negotiations continue.

Ive posted this before... advice from my retired department chair.

QuoteDont Retire FROM something, retire TO something! .... His other advice was "once you have enough money, why continue to work"?
What would you like to do?
It seems that you may be able to afford to retire.  (Make sure that you have health insurance in place, as Medicare is 5 years off and it is pretty expensive at 60)
I dont know anyone that retired TO something that has regretted it.  Most wonder why they waited and are busier now than they ever were while working. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

lilyb

Quote from: larryc on November 25, 2021, 02:18:13 PM

I ran this idea past my wife, though, and she said I shouldn't do it. Why not I asked her? "You need an audience, Larry." she said. "It can't just be me."

I laughed really hard at this! Feel the same way about my spouse, also an academic. He's a funny guy, but I can't replace his students, colleagues, and everybody he entertains all day.

He'll need a YouTube channel or similar for affirmation.

Pomegranate

So at what age do you observe your colleagues retiring? Mine is a range from about 65 to 90+, most around 70s. It is an R1.

Kron3007

Quote from: Pomegranate on December 05, 2021, 09:49:38 PM
So at what age do you observe your colleagues retiring? Mine is a range from about 65 to 90+, most around 70s. It is an R1.

I see a big range here (Canadian research university).  Most are beyond 65, but we had one recently retire around 60, but they had a company running in parallel the whole time, so they are only retired from here. 

apl68

In the library world, usually at 65.  They tend to have long retirements.  Every so often the state library listserv mentions the death of some colleague who retired decades ago, before I even got into the business. 
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

Parasaurolophus

M8d-seventies (Canadian UG-only instiution akinto a community college).
I know it's a genus.