News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Venting Thread

Started by polly_mer, May 20, 2019, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

I think I need one of those "no" punch cards. I failed to track just how many things I was saying yes to and now  I've committed to the following, all due within the next 6 weeks:
1 grant review panel (2 full days on zoom, plus all the time before then to review and score my assigned grants)
2 grant submissions (not as PI, but still)
1 conference talk (far away)
1 support letter for a former mentor for a Distinguished Professorship
1 panel discussion for a national org (which I'm a bit nervous about)
5 journal reviews

Plus all the usual work. It's all stuff I'm genuinely excited about and want to do (well maybe except the journal reviews), but damn, I did not think through the time commitments as much as I should have.

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

poiuy

Quote from: Puget on February 01, 2023, 05:33:00 PM
I think I need one of those "no" punch cards. I failed to track just how many things I was saying yes to and now  I've committed to the following, all due within the next 6 weeks:
1 grant review panel (2 full days on zoom, plus all the time before then to review and score my assigned grants)
5 journal reviews

Plus all the usual work. It's all stuff I'm genuinely excited about and want to do (well maybe except the journal reviews), but damn, I did not think through the time commitments as much as I should have.

Which of these did you wish you had said 'no' to?  Genuinely curious. So many items on this list seem like 'must-do' things for academics?

Puget

Quote from: poiuy on February 02, 2023, 05:21:40 AM
5 journal reviews

Which of these did you wish you had said 'no' to?  Genuinely curious. So many items on this list seem like 'must-do' things for academics?

That's the problem-- these are mostly things I should and want to do, there are just too many of them at once, and at some point you have to start saying no to more, however worthy and important, or you won't be able to successfully complete everything you've already said yes to.

Well, I should have said "no" to 3 of the reviews, following my usual rule of only having 2 reviews on deck a a time -- but two of the asks were from editors I know and like (and I know how hard it is to find reviewers these days), and 1 was a revision and I never say no to those, so here we are.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

AmLitHist

The Crud is making the rounds here.  I stayed home Tuesday (could have gone in if I'd had to, but had a rotten sinus headache, plus sick days that go away if we don't use them).  One of my colleagues came in that day, sick as a dog, according to the secretary; he doesn't sound much better today. Another is sick and stayed home.

We keep veering between the 50s and 60s, and the teens and 20s, over the past few weeks.  I know there's probably no clinical proof of a connection, but the changes do set off my sinuses and the achy joints.

apl68

Quote from: AmLitHist on February 02, 2023, 08:27:40 AM
The Crud is making the rounds here.  I stayed home Tuesday (could have gone in if I'd had to, but had a rotten sinus headache, plus sick days that go away if we don't use them).  One of my colleagues came in that day, sick as a dog, according to the secretary; he doesn't sound much better today. Another is sick and stayed home.

We keep veering between the 50s and 60s, and the teens and 20s, over the past few weeks.  I know there's probably no clinical proof of a connection, but the changes do set off my sinuses and the achy joints.

The wild fluctuations in temperatures here have been having the same effects.  It really is hard on a person's body to keep having to readjust like that.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.

Juvenal

5 journal reviews

For the wholly retired?  Let me see: Sleep in tomorrow until about nine a.m., or sleep in until noon?  That's a toughie.
Cranky septuagenarian

smallcleanrat

jimbogumbo

Quote from: smallcleanrat on February 04, 2023, 02:32:20 PM
I've got COVID.

So sorry!! Rest plenty, even if you don't feel really sick.

evil_physics_witchcraft

poiuy

Quote from: smallcleanrat on February 04, 2023, 02:32:20 PM
I've got COVID.

Oh no!  I hope you have the mildest possible case, over as soon as possible.

AmLitHist

smallcleanrat

Thanks, everybody.

I don't seem to have a severe case, but it's not been a great week either.

Was nauseated most of today. SO, in a sincere attempt to help settle my stomach, offered me SPAM.

Larimar

Get well soon, Smallcleanrat!

arcturus

Vent: I am spending more time documenting the student's plagiarism than the student spent doing the copy/paste plagiarism for this assignment.

apl68

More building HVAC problems today.  It's having trouble keeping the air on--in February!  I've just had to submit a proposal to our Board of Trustees to spend over $12,000 to try to fix the current problem.
See, your King is coming to you, just and bringing salvation, gentle and lowly, and riding upon a donkey.