News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

On staying calm

Started by downer, March 16, 2020, 01:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

secundem_artem

Quote from: spork on March 17, 2020, 11:21:58 AM
Turning off my email for longer periods each day.

Have managed to start running again after nearly two years of medical problems caused by medical incompetence and misdiagnoses. Covid-19 social distancing is nothing compared to be told you will need a liver transplant, and then being told oops, it was all a mistake.

Will increase my pie baking frequency.

Glad to hear it.  Those forumites on the old fora who were cake people have it all wrong.  Pie is where it's at.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mamselle

You're three days too late!

(3.14)

I've seen several articles on this response in Italy:

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/videos/quarantined-italy-musicians-play-sing-balconies/

I was considering taking my accordion out to the porch, but someone has already done that...(third picture down)!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/world/europe/italians-find-a-moment-of-joy-in-this-moment-of-anxiety.html

Here's a third report:

https://www.insider.com/coronavirus-quarantined-italians-sing-together-from-balconies-and-windows-2020-3

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

polly_mer

Quote from: secundem_artem on March 17, 2020, 07:33:28 PM
Quote from: spork on March 17, 2020, 11:21:58 AM
Turning off my email for longer periods each day.

Have managed to start running again after nearly two years of medical problems caused by medical incompetence and misdiagnoses. Covid-19 social distancing is nothing compared to be told you will need a liver transplant, and then being told oops, it was all a mistake.

Will increase my pie baking frequency.

Glad to hear it.  Those forumites on the old fora who were cake people have it all wrong.  Pie is where it's at.

Cobbler!  It's always cobbler with ice cream.  Some people.  Sheesh.

To stay busy, my home office is all set up and I'm getting a lot done now that practically all meetings are canceled (still on the hook to help with tomorrow's phone interview, though).

Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

secundem_artem

Quote from: mamselle on March 17, 2020, 08:58:15 PM

(3.14)

M.

It's NEVER too late for pie!
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Thursday's_Child

Quote from: secundem_artem on March 18, 2020, 09:03:19 AM

(3.14)

M.

My early-bird stocking up included pre-made crusts for 4 pies.  I've been meaning to try adding sliced cranberries to grated apple, tossing the filling with a little sugar and the typical spices, then making a free-form tart.  If I remember to get a crust out of the freezer as soon as I get home, I'll be able to have this for dessert!

ab_grp

We've been trying to do more of what we usually do to relax and bring down the stress: NYT crossword, cooking, watching DVDs (The Wire right now), reading.  The work situation keeps changing for my spouse, though, and because he's essential personnel in a secure facility they have moved to shift work as they do when there are work shut downs.  He got afternoons/evenings, and I mostly work in a timezone earlier than ours.  So, we will just have to adjust for now.  I don't know how long they will continue with this and not go to as much telework as is possible, but security is security and someone's got to do the work.  I have a couple semi-routine medical tests to get early tomorrow and am hoping to get that over with and not have any issues from it.  Spouse is in a higher risk category, so we are just trying to keep things as anxiety-free as possible given what's got to be done and how long this might last.  But, we will still be making our pizzas! I just try to keep in mind all that we are fortunate for and try not to go too far around the bend worrying, at least about things that we cannot control.

traductio

Quote from: secundem_artem on March 18, 2020, 09:03:19 AM

(3.14)

M.

We missed pie day by a day, so we made two pies (one quiche, one apple-blueberry).

That helped a lot.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I made some ooey gooey chocolate chip cookie bars today. Too bad we don't have any ice cream. That would have been great, but these are still pretty good.

mamselle

Friends told me they just bought a 5000 piece jigsaw puzzle and set it up on their dining room table.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Well, at least I'm not driving. My nemesis.

apl68

A tall, limbless tree
One sprig of leaves at the top
Against a grey sky
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Cheerful

Just made dark chocolate brownies and ate some before they cooled because who wants to wait that long?

Whole place smells like chocolate.

mamselle