News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Winter Thread

Started by hmaria1609, December 15, 2020, 07:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

I really want "wintery mix" to be a festive snack food and not what is falling from the sky today.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mamselle

Quote from: Puget on February 04, 2022, 07:21:46 AM
I really want "wintery mix" to be a festive snack food and not what is falling from the sky today.

+1

I'm thinking the ones with What Chex and melted sharp Cheddar cheese...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Our state has seen several inches of snow in places (nowhere near here), and sleet and ice elsewhere.  Eighteen-wheelers have been jack-knifing all over the state's expressways.  Tens of thousands of households have been without power. 

Here we had a little bit of sleet last night.  I went out and inspected the streets and sidewalks this morning, and found everything good.  There were a few spots of black ice where sidewalks crossed storm drains.  There were no slipping hazards right around the library.  So I went into my office and called everybody to let them know we'd definitely be open this morning.  Then I went home and got ready for work myself.

The schools are closed from abundance of caution, and traffic on the streets was very sparse.  A lot of people seem to have let the reports of winter weather bluff them into staying home.  A six-o'clock meeting I was scheduled to attend last night got cancelled without my being told about it, so I made a trip for nothing.  I'm a little annoyed at seeing so many people failing to call the weather's bluff.  But mainly I'm glad that it WAS only bluffing in our area.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

It's gloopy-gloppy here and the schools cancelled last night for today (with good reason, but I hear you, apl68, it's not always so).

My adult music student usually has her lesson kid-free. Today, as she put it, "i have one child on my head and another around my feet--but so did the rest of my work cohort for our 9 AM meeting today, so we decided we were all appropriately dressed."

The kids only really interrupted twice, after they were reminded that their hands and feet can get them into the kitchen and unpeeling the oranges and bananas that abound there, if they're hungry before lunch.

We ended early anyway, deciding that they might either try eating the house--or boiling cardbord and crayons for lunch--if their mom played the 6-page Chopin Waltz through once more....

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

Warm earlier and the snow all melted. Then lots of rain and it's cold now, so there will be ice in the morning.  Nothing ver dramatic.

mamselle

Slight dusting of snow covers a treacherous icy underbed.

Weather watch advice is to leave extra space between vehicles, brake gently, use snow tires, and make turns carefully.

My advice is to stay home unless you absolutely must go out..

Which is what I am doing.....

M.

OneMoreYear

Like a lot of places, the weather has been a mess here since Wednesday evening (University pivoted to remote for Thurs/Fri instead of cancelling--that was loads of fun for my lab classes).
Today we ventured out for groceries. Roads in my small city were great--plowed and mostly dry.  Even my dead-end street was well taken care of.  I could identify the exact spot in the main road where road service transitioned from my small city to nearby large city, as the roads had barely been touched.  Very glad hubby was driving, as he grew up in Chicago, and is much more confident driving in the snow that I.

hmaria1609

Winter weather advisory for Super Bowl weekend:
https://wtop.com/weather-news/2022/02/temperatures-expected-to-cool-off-bring-snow-super-bowl-sunday-in-dc-area/
I've covered my front windshield. Plenty of treatment mix on the roads.

Langue_doc

A couple of inches of snow on cars that haven't been moved since last night, but what appears to be rainwater on other cars. It's been snowing since morning. The temperature has been steadily dropping from around 60 degrees yesterday to around 30 as of now.

FishProf

The snow overnight and ending by morning (1-3 inches) became ending the next morning and 6-9 inches.  And it will all melt by Friday.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

mamselle

An inch or two, already melting last I looked (an hour or so ago).

M.

Harlow2

On the upswing toward warm tomorrow.  Our 3-day cold spell wasn't too bad.