News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The TV Series Thread (Fall/Winter 2023)

Started by hmaria1609, October 29, 2023, 07:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ciao_yall

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on December 22, 2023, 05:07:01 PMBarry with Bill Hader, Henry Winkler, Stephen Root, Anthony Carrigan, and Sarah Goldberg as principals. 

It is one crazy limited edition series.  Wife and I were crazy and crazed by it.  Highly recommend.

Another vote for Barry as well. Brilliant!

jimbogumbo

Fargo is the best series on tv. The current season with Juno Temple, Jennifer Jason Leigh and John Hamm is just superb.

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

pink_

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on December 21, 2023, 02:55:35 PMI've been watching the first season of Friday Night Lights on Netflix. In some ways it is pretty generic network TV: the high schoolers are mostly played by models in their mid-20s and you see every twist and turn coming from a mile away. But it is very well shot, the cast is great (several of the actors went on to have impressive careers), and it tugs at the heartstrings without being melodramatic. Overall, I have enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it beyond season one.

B+

I watched it when it was still airing (though I started at the beginning when the series was in its 4th season). The pilot absolutely stunned me, though I can see why it might not so many years later. It's a bit uneven, but I did really like it overall.

pink_

I watched the final season of The Crown. I also LOVE Slow Horses on Apple TV though I haven't yet watched the most recent season. The books it's based on are also quite good. I also really liked The Lincoln Lawyer (Netflix) and Bosch: Legacy (Amazon), both based on Michael Connelly books.

RatGuy

Quote from: jimbogumbo on December 23, 2023, 11:01:06 AMFargo is the best series on tv. The current season with Juno Temple, Jennifer Jason Leigh and John Hamm is just superb.

I'll watch anything that Noah Hawley makes. I haven't seen the current season of Fargo, but the others were fantastic. Also, "Legion" was the best Marvel show that no one seems to talk about. Heck, I even liked his "Unusuals," which was a police procedural.

ciao_yall

Working on my language skills to prepape for a trip to France.

Am watching a silly show called The Hookup Plan in French. I first watch it in French, with English subtitles, to make sure I know what is going on. Then I watch it again with French subtitles to try and match words with what they are saying.

Learning a lot of swear words. So those will come in handy.

Hegemony

Ciao_yall, where do you find The Hookup Plan?

onthefringe

Quote from: jimbogumbo on December 23, 2023, 11:01:06 AMFargo is the best series on tv. The current season with Juno Temple, Jennifer Jason Leigh and John Hamm is just superb.

We ran aground in Season 4 of Fargo, but heard great things about Season 5 and have loved the three episodes we have watched so far.

I also unearthed and enjoyed some old Hulu series including Fosse/Verdon and Feud (the first season is about the feud between Joan Crawford and Bette Davis)

ciao_yall

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: onthefringe on January 04, 2024, 05:41:03 AM

We ran aground in Season 4 of Fargo, but heard great things about Season 5 and have loved the three episodes we have watched so far.

I also unearthed and enjoyed some old Hulu series including Fosse/Verdon and Feud (the first season is about the feud between Joan Crawford and Bette Davis)

Same here!  Season 5 is great!
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

ab_grp

Does anyone watch shows on Amazon Prime? We have been having trouble with a delay or non-sync between audio and visual, and googling has not led to any solutions that worked.  When we watch on our computers or tablet, no problem.  When we watch on our main Toshiba TV (which is about 7 yrs old) or our little Fire TV (which is an Amazon product!), whether we watch through Roku, a multiformat player, or directly, no luck.  If we pause the show and return to it, it re-syncs, but that is kind of a pain to do throughout.  I have tried casting to the TV, and so has my husband, but it keeps saying something about only purchased material can be casted (so not the free stuff?), which seems odd.  Next we will try plugging the actual ethernet cable directly to the Fire TV (doesn't seem to do anything with the Toshiba), but I use that as a secondary monitor and don't really want to have to keep moving it back and forth (first-world problems).  I figure we must be missing something obvious, because everyone can't be just watching on their computers, and I don't see as much complaining as I would expect to see.  I am going to cross-post this over to the movies thread but thought I would check here as well.  Thanks for any ideas!

hmaria1609

I'm looking forward to the season 4 premieres of "Miss Scarlet and the Duke" and "All Creatures Great and Small" on PBS this Sunday (1/7).
Check your local PBS station listings!

Hegemony

Quote from: ab_grp on January 05, 2024, 04:13:06 PMDoes anyone watch shows on Amazon Prime? We have been having trouble with a delay or non-sync between audio and visual, and googling has not led to any solutions that worked.  When we watch on our computers or tablet, no problem.  When we watch on our main Toshiba TV (which is about 7 yrs old) or our little Fire TV (which is an Amazon product!), whether we watch through Roku, a multiformat player, or directly, no luck.  If we pause the show and return to it, it re-syncs, but that is kind of a pain to do throughout.  I have tried casting to the TV, and so has my husband, but it keeps saying something about only purchased material can be casted (so not the free stuff?), which seems odd.  Next we will try plugging the actual ethernet cable directly to the Fire TV (doesn't seem to do anything with the Toshiba), but I use that as a secondary monitor and don't really want to have to keep moving it back and forth (first-world problems).  I figure we must be missing something obvious, because everyone can't be just watching on their computers, and I don't see as much complaining as I would expect to see.  I am going to cross-post this over to the movies thread but thought I would check here as well.  Thanks for any ideas!

Gosh, that's bizarre. I watch Prime on my TV (an old something-or-other) and I've never had any problems. I'm sorry I don't know what the suggest. I suppose you've tried googling the problem?

ciao_yall

Quote from: Hegemony on January 10, 2024, 03:46:45 AM
Quote from: ab_grp on January 05, 2024, 04:13:06 PMDoes anyone watch shows on Amazon Prime? We have been having trouble with a delay or non-sync between audio and visual, and googling has not led to any solutions that worked.  When we watch on our computers or tablet, no problem.  When we watch on our main Toshiba TV (which is about 7 yrs old) or our little Fire TV (which is an Amazon product!), whether we watch through Roku, a multiformat player, or directly, no luck.  If we pause the show and return to it, it re-syncs, but that is kind of a pain to do throughout.  I have tried casting to the TV, and so has my husband, but it keeps saying something about only purchased material can be casted (so not the free stuff?), which seems odd.  Next we will try plugging the actual ethernet cable directly to the Fire TV (doesn't seem to do anything with the Toshiba), but I use that as a secondary monitor and don't really want to have to keep moving it back and forth (first-world problems).  I figure we must be missing something obvious, because everyone can't be just watching on their computers, and I don't see as much complaining as I would expect to see.  I am going to cross-post this over to the movies thread but thought I would check here as well.  Thanks for any ideas!

Gosh, that's bizarre. I watch Prime on my TV (an old something-or-other) and I've never had any problems. I'm sorry I don't know what the suggest. I suppose you've tried googling the problem?

We have sometimes had issues. Husband plays with the settings and it fixes it. I don't know what he does.

Hegemony Have you started watching Plan Coeur? I'm super addicted.