News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fall Daylight Savings Nov. 1 (US)

Started by hmaria1609, October 24, 2020, 03:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hmaria1609

A wee note: Sunday, Nov. 1st is Fall Daylight Savings here in the US.  For our friends in the UK, it's your weekend to change the clocks!

dismalist

Oh, thank God!

Daylight Savings time was introduced as a wartime measure in WWI, and reinstated in WWII. I believe both wars have meanwhile ended.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

writingprof

Quote from: dismalist on October 24, 2020, 03:23:18 PM
Oh, thank God!

Daylight Savings time was introduced as a wartime measure in WWI, and reinstated in WWII. I believe both wars have meanwhile ended.

I'm pretty sure Americans are still paying a tax that was introduced to pay for the Spanish-American War.  Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

Anselm

Quote from: writingprof on October 24, 2020, 03:47:48 PM
Oh, thank God!

I'm pretty sure Americans are still paying a tax that was introduced to pay for the Spanish-American War.  Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

https://taxfoundation.org/spanish-american-war-tax-1898-2006/
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

Puget

I'm dreading it-- it will make sunset before 5. There is something uniquely depressing about the sun definitively going down before the end of the work day.
Oh well, I shall get my light therapy lamp back out.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

aside

It's the change that bothers me.  Pick a time and stick with it. I prefer Daylight Saving Time.

BTW, it's "saving" and not "savings" (should anybody care).

dismalist

Quote from: Anselm on October 24, 2020, 07:07:11 PM
Quote from: writingprof on October 24, 2020, 03:47:48 PM
Oh, thank God!

https://taxfoundation.org/spanish-american-war-tax-1898-2006/

Cool!

I don't wish to get too arcane except to say that such taxes are a [poor] substitute for a general sales tax, or better, a value added tax.

A tax is different from Daylight Savings Time for DST collects no revenue! It just makes life easier for those who insist on having their kids bug the rest of us in broad daylight instead of when it's dark, and makes life tougher for the rest of us.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

dismalist

Quote from: aside on October 24, 2020, 07:29:01 PM
It's the change that bothers me.  Pick a time and stick with it. I prefer Daylight Saving Time.

Precisely! Make High Noon = 3 AM, and I'd be happy as a clam. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

Quote from: Puget on October 24, 2020, 07:25:06 PM
I'm dreading it-- it will make sunset before 5. There is something uniquely depressing about the sun definitively going down before the end of the work day.
Oh well, I shall get my light therapy lamp back out.

Conversely, for early risers it's welcome because it means that those early morning walks no longer have to start with the stars still out.
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

dismalist

Our national nightmare is over, well for a coupl'a months.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli