News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Some policy things lot of us would think are good?

Started by jimbogumbo, August 26, 2022, 02:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

Maybe even dismalist.

Mandatory farm drip irrigation and fertilization. Cuts down on water waste and toxic run-off.

World wide carbon tax. As d has noted, efficient solution, and IMHO of crucial importance for future generations.

UBI below a specified income level.

Some form of single payer health care.

More and better child a elder social programs.

Ongoing and better care for those with mental and physical challenges.

Some of the above are matters of will, some of innovation and better thinking as well.

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on August 26, 2022, 02:04:21 PM
Maybe even dismalist.

Mandatory farm drip irrigation and fertilization. Cuts down on water waste and toxic run-off.

World wide carbon tax. As d has noted, efficient solution, and IMHO of crucial importance for future generations.

UBI below a specified income level.

Some form of single payer health care.

More and better child a elder social programs.

Ongoing and better care for those with mental and physical challenges.

Some of the above are matters of will, some of innovation and better thinking as well.

Absolutely, jimbo, I'm with you. The stuff I bolded, the carbon tax and the UBI, are, or should be, uncontroversial, and for good reason. I would call the carbon tax imperative. Otherwise, we're just messing around, expensively.

Now, not using farm drip irrigation [I've seen no other in northern Italy] is like burning too much carbon, a negative externality. Water is too cheap. Tax it. Would solve the US West's water shortages, too, while we're at it.

US health care is fucked up big time, in all kinds of ways, and for all kinds of historical reasons. "Single payer" assumes too much, namely that it is the single payer by itself that solves all woes. [Do not go to the NHS in the UK. They got no room for you.] Nay. My favorite model is the Swissies 

https://www.commonwealthfund.org/international-health-policy-center/countries/switzerland [do read it] --

mandatory [to eliminate selection bias] health insurance, competitively  provided, over  half privately financed, with a big out of pocket. [One can give money to the poor so they can afford this stuff.] The Swissies spend about 12% of GDP on health, compared to our 18%, and they look pretty healthy to me, in sharp contrast to how my neighbors look.

Special care can be folded into the health insurance scheme.

Child care is a personal problem, not subject to market failure. 'Ya can't afford a kid, don't have one.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Anon1787

Quote from: dismalist on August 26, 2022, 02:28:11 PM
Absolutely, jimbo, I'm with you. The stuff I bolded, the carbon tax and the UBI, are, or should be, uncontroversial, and for good reason. I would call the carbon tax imperative. Otherwise, we're just messing around, expensively.

No UBI. Since you specialize in the dismal science, I'll recommend Tyler Cowen's reservations centered on the importance of the work ethic.

jimbogumbo

Anon: that's why I specified an income level ceiling. Is there no maximum level you'd agree to?

dismalist

Quote from: Anon1787 on August 26, 2022, 03:16:49 PM
Quote from: dismalist on August 26, 2022, 02:28:11 PM

No UBI. Since you specialize in the dismal science, I'll recommend Tyler Cowen's reservations centered on the importance of the work ethic.

Problem with current, numerous, individual and specific welfare programs is means testing. That makes the marginal tax rate for the poor so high as to make the rich blush. It pays to stay poor!

Getting rid of all this stuff and substituting a negative income tax can be made to confront the poor with much more reasonable marginal tax rates. Watch that work ethic get activated and the poor become richer as it no longer pays to stay poor!

For incentives, it's all about the margin, not the average.

Thus, I'd even be quite generous.

ETA last sentence in response to jumbo's question to anon####.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

Oh, I thought it was going to be fora policy we were talking about.

Nevermind.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

Better judicial review.

Better and fairer criteria for reversing guilty verdicts when there is good evidence for innocence.

Campaign spending limits, and a limit, free speech taken into account, on the types of political campaign advertisements which can be shown on TV and on social media.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Anselm

A penny tax on every attempted phone call, to eliminate telemarketing calls.

All posted prices must include all taxes.

Ban all help wanted ads that ask for two years of experience for entry level jobs.   If they don't have entry level jobs then require the employer to tell you where exactly you are supposed to get that experience if not with them.   

Require all internships to be open to people who are not currently enrolled in college. 

Stop cuts to the USPS which 90% of people oppose.  (I made up that figure but it seems realistic)
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

FishProf

Require all single-stall public restrooms to have an occupied/vacant indicator on the door handle mechanism.

(It's not a big issue, but is anyone opposed?)
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

dismalist

Quote from: FishProf on August 28, 2022, 02:10:19 PM
Require all single-stall public restrooms to have an occupied/vacant indicator on the door handle mechanism.

(It's not a big issue, but is anyone opposed?)

Require all public restrooms to charge an entry fee, nowadays easily payable by credit card instead of quarters.  That'll keep them vacant enough!

We just have different ways of rationing. Mine will provide more semi-public toilets. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

FishProf

I'm not interested in rationing public restrooms.

Why are you?
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

dismalist

Quote from: FishProf on August 28, 2022, 06:12:32 PM
I'm not interested in rationing public restrooms.

Why are you?

If you put up traffic lights, you inform people of the ration. If you charge, you inform and can also build more restrooms. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mamselle

What's to stop someone from swiping their card while someone else is in there?

Sounds like someone has control issues, or potty-training issues....or both...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

I'm for the Pissoir

That will solve most of the payment controversy.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

dismalist

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on August 28, 2022, 06:48:38 PM
I'm for the Pissoir

That will solve most of the payment controversy.

There's a gender disparity there. So, totally illegal.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli