News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

This article is surreal and out of touch

Started by jimbogumbo, September 04, 2022, 03:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbogumbo

At least I hope so. They do the things we did with our kids as a matter of course and whine. Definitely our parents would have said WTF: https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/04/business/back-to-school-expenses-struggle/index.html

Parasaurolophus

Wow. It's really unbelievable that everyone involved here just accepted putting these three paragraphs together:

Just 36% of parents said they would be able to pay for everything their kids need this school year, according to Morning Consult's annual back-to-school shopping report. That's down sharply from 52% in 2021, when inflation was lower and stimulus checks plus advance child tax credit payments helped some families.

"My shopping habits have changed significantly," said Longmore, an HR professional who lives in the Poconos in Pennsylvania with her husband and five children.

The Longmores earn more than $100,000 a year, well above the median US household income of nearly $65,000. But with five young children, the family's expenses are also well above average, and Longmore said it's not enough to keep her household running comfortably — a problem underscored in the back-to-school season as four of the couple's children are of school age.

Five is a lot of children, and not at all cheap, to be sure. But the idea that inflation has made their lives unbearably burdensome, to the point that a $25 bookbag is out of the question, is... yeah, surreal.
I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

Does it make you two angry to see this kind of article in CNN? If it were in FOX, couldn't you just say 'oh there they go again with their fiction! Well, no one's gonna read it but the fascists, so who cares?' But since it's on CNN, that means people who are supposed to be Biden fans will read it. What a blow to the current almost head-of-steam the democrats have thrown together.

dismalist

I love the mere $100K! And kids are a choice, and cheaper by the dozen [well, they exhibit economies of scale], as everyone knows.

Between the ages of six and 10 or so, I was dressed in hand-me-downs. Those pesky growth spurts are not cheap, 'ya know.

In High School I was once asked whether I had gotten my Fall coat yet. Perplexed, I responded: What's a Fall coat?

This is an "I want more" article. Hell, get a second job.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on September 04, 2022, 04:04:50 PM
I love the mere $100K! And kids are a choice, and cheaper by the dozen [well, they exhibit economies of scale], as everyone knows.

Between the ages of six and 10 or so, I was dressed in hand-me-downs. Those pesky growth spurts are not cheap, 'ya know.

In High School I was once asked whether I had gotten my Fall coat yet. Perplexed, I responded: What's a Fall coat?

This is an "I want more" article. Hell, get a second job.

This is more the pattern than the exception. CNN doesn't care whether the current inflation is truly unmanageable to this family or is just a nuisance. They can sell more newspapers by spreading fear about our society nearing total destruction. Same reason liberals are inclined to overestimate by something like 1000% the number of unarmed black men killed by police each year. They're reading CNN and getting their news from commentary, propaganda instead of decent reporting.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on September 04, 2022, 03:50:26 PM
Does it make you two angry to see this kind of article in CNN? If it were in FOX, couldn't you just say 'oh there they go again with their fiction! Well, no one's gonna read it but the fascists, so who cares?' But since it's on CNN, that means people who are supposed to be Biden fans will read it. What a blow to the current almost head-of-steam the democrats have thrown together.

Sorry, but I'd find it surreal no matter where I saw it. The reusing backpacks from year to year was odd enough, but the idea of handing down from one child to another? The horror!

Son and DIL are well above average in income, and yet have not purchased any clothes for 20 month old grandson. Except for the gifts from relatives (well, like two sets of grandparents who are well off) his massive amount of clothes are all hand me downs from friends and cousin's kids. They'll pass them on to whoever needs them.

Fox, CNN, WaPo, Washington Examiner: I'd be scornful no matter what the source. There are plenty of kids with legitimate needs: these were not them.

mahagonny

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 04, 2022, 04:23:37 PM

Sorry, but I'd find it surreal no matter where I saw it. The reusing backpacks from year to year was odd enough, but the idea of handing down from one child to another? The horror!

Son and DIL are well above average in income, and yet have not purchased any clothes for 20 month old grandson. Except for the gifts from relatives (well, like two sets of grandparents who are well off) his massive amount of clothes are all hand me downs from friends and cousin's kids. They'll pass them on to whoever needs them.

Fox, CNN, WaPo, Washington Examiner: I'd be scornful no matter what the source. There are plenty of kids with legitimate needs: these were not them.

So how do you feel about democratic voters being so outrageously misinformed about the number of cop killings of black men? Before you answer, you might want to consider that the widespread ignorance of these voters most likely helps your party get its candidates elected.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on September 04, 2022, 04:29:40 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 04, 2022, 04:23:37 PM

So how do you feel about democratic voters being so outrageously misinformed about the number of cop killings of black men? Before you answer, you might want to consider that the widespread ignorance of these voters most likely helps your party get its candidates elected.

Sincere question. Why is it impossible for you to discuss a topic without immediately trying to turn it into about one of your pet issues? The only ones I know of where you don't do this are either one you start, the music thread or the mental health thread.

mahagonny

That's not what your problem is. The widespread ignorance among democratic voters about the incidence of police brutality against black citizens, the supposed threat of white supremacist groups, and probably more, and the associated hysterical left dominated media of today are the fora's, and academia's pet issues to deny the existence of.
Now that they exaggerate about something in a way that makes your party and your president look bad, their low journalistic standards matter to you.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on September 04, 2022, 04:57:58 PM
That's not what your problem is. The widespread ignorance among democratic voters about the incidence of police brutality against black citizens, the supposed threat of white supremacist groups, and probably more, and the associated hysterical left dominated media of today are the fora's, and academia's pet issues to deny the existence of.
Now that they exaggerate about something in a way that makes your party and your president look bad, their slippage of credibility matters to you.

The thing I hate the most in journalism is the misuse of statistics and data. If you don't realize that then you haven't paid attention to most of what I've posted.

The thing I hate the most about this board is your irrational rants. I guess now I can add personal attacks on my intentions also. Thanks so much for your deep thoughts.

mahagonny

The thing I hate most about this board is the topics of urgency that never get discussed, but to confess a guilty pleasure of mine, I also consider it entertaining in what it reveals about the agenda-driven tenure culture of today.

Parasaurolophus

My cousin used to write this sort of crap for Business Insider ("how poor people can save $100k in ten years," etc.). Wherever I find it, it lowers my opinion of both the author and the outlet. I doubt my opinion of my cousin will ever recover.
I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

I don't have deep thoughts that often, but when I notice something pertinent & obvious and there appears to be no interest in noting it, I will supply that interest.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on September 04, 2022, 05:24:09 PM
I don't have deep thoughts that often, but when I notice something pertinent & obvious and there appears to be no interest in noting it, I will supply that interest.

I think that's good. What I would appreciate is when it is neither pertinent nor obvious how it is connected to what we're talking about you might start a thread.

mahagonny

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 04, 2022, 05:26:28 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on September 04, 2022, 05:24:09 PM

I think that's good. What I would appreciate is when it is neither pertinent nor obvious how it is connected to what we're talking about you might start a thread.

Well then thank you for that jimbo. Outside of you and who knows how many quiet lurkers, though, I doubt that I am welcome to start a thread, and I had mixed feelings about being so exposed. Probably I'm done with that.
I do think your question is interesting. Just how bad is the inflation situation for all of us?
ETA: Speaking for me and family, it's not clear how much it will affect our lifestyle in the longrun, but it certainly contributes to stress and depression.