News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The Post For Stuff You Wanna Tell People

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 17, 2019, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

CNN CEO Jeff Zucker has just resigned over non-disclosure of a close relationship with another upper-level CNN staff member.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-xS_kyBjs

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Larimar

My book is in hand! I am officially a book author now!

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Larimar on February 02, 2022, 03:00:49 PM

That's awesome! Congratulations!

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Harlow2

Quote from: Larimar on February 02, 2022, 03:00:49 PM

That's great, larimar! 

evil_physics_witchcraft

apl68

If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

ab_grp

That has got to be so exciting, Larimar! Congratulations!

mamselle

Maybe this is just a 'random musing,' but...

I just realized one of the reasons I like teaching geeky middle-schoolers might be because I identify with them.

I just had the image of my 3rd-grade self correcting our music teacher, who had substituted a regular triad for a 7th chord, even though the 7th chord was marked in the music we were singing/she was playing from.

She didn't take it badly, explaining it was allowed to omit the 7th, it was an 'extra' or 'color' tone, not required to establish the chord per se...so I learned something, for all that.

And I don't think I did it rudely, I remember raising my hand when she asked for questions after we'd finished singing and asking politely...

But I chuckle now, because last night one of my students corrected my analysis of a chord they'd just played and the scene came back to me...

M.

Larimar

Thank you, everyone!

And Mamselle, your 'random musing' is sweet.

Langue_doc

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

ab_grp

This is just kind of crazy to think about, a radio station broadcast being able to completely brick the "infotainment" systems of Mazdas from particular years: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/02/radio-station-snafu-in-seattle-bricks-some-mazda-infotainment-systems/  I appreciate the comments on the article for the extra explanation added.  Remote interference with vehicles has been a plot point in several crime shows I've seen over the years, but it often seems farfetched.  Stories like this make me wonder about the possibilities, although in this case it seems like poor coding practices occurred that probably shouldn't be expected to occur in this context.

ETA: Meant to include this article from a few weeks ago about a teen who was able to hack Teslas (through user error, not a security vulnerability inherent in the cars themselves, though it seems like a fine line to me): https://www.pcmag.com/news/teenage-hacker-gains-remote-control-of-25-teslas-in-13-countries