Retirement Incentive Plan to cut cost due to the outbreak

Started by hamburger, March 20, 2020, 04:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamburger

Hi, my CC announced that they want to cut cost due to the outbreak. They asked full-timers to require earlier. So it means that the possibility for me to getting a full-time position is even lower?

polly_mer

You don't want to work at a place that has so few resources they take any warm body student whose check cleared.

Keep applying elsewhere for a good job.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

dismalist

Quote from: hamburger on March 20, 2020, 04:48:11 PM
Hi, my CC announced that they want to cut cost due to the outbreak. They asked full-timers to require earlier. So it means that the possibility for me to getting a full-time position is even lower?

Actually, it depends on whether this is a measure intended to deal with the short-run effects of the virus or whether it is intended to deal with a long term financial problem.

-If the first, short run measure, your chances of getting a FT job will be higher later, not lower.

-If the second, long run measure, what polly_mer said.

Either way, I'd keep looking, too.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

clean

QuoteHi, my CC announced that they want to cut cost due to the outbreak. They asked full-timers to require earlier. So it means that the possibility for me to getting a full-time position is even lower?

Certainly in the short run, there will be no full time hires! 
My suspicious mind tends to run in the direction that this is a measure to cut fixed costs.  Variable costs are preferred.  What does that mean?  Reduce full time faculty (and the benefits associated with them) and instead move toward contract people - either by the course adjuncts, or short, fixed term, 1-3 year  contracts. 

From your other posts, you should find either another academic employer, or perhaps another career path.  Your current situation is untenable.  Whether you are cut out to be in higher education or not, I m not sure, but your current employer is not a healthy place for you to be. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader