Main Menu

The best predatorial journal come-ons

Started by Scout, June 14, 2019, 04:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puget

Quote from: Morris Zapp on November 12, 2019, 01:47:49 PM
ASSRAT
THE ASSOCIATION OF RESEARCH & ACADEMIC TRAINING

Wait, where do they even get the SS's from in that acronym?? They have to be taking ASS from association but only the first letters of the rest of the words, which means they have to have done that on purpose almost. Otherwise it would be ARAT, which is still kind of funny but not nearly as funny as ASSRAT.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

mythbuster

ASSRAT is much better than another conference I got invited to: BABE.

BABE was the "World Congress on Bioavailability & Bioequivalence: BA/BE Studies Summit"

I really want an ASSRAT 2019 hat or a T shirt. The logo creates itself!

archaeo42

ASSRAT and BABE remind me of BARFAA.

BARFAA is the Midwest Bioarchaeology and Forensic Anthropology Association.
"The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate."

polly_mer

I was just email scolded for not jumping immediately on an offer to write a proposal on a topic more suited to an elementary school science fair than anything a serious practitioner would contact me for based on my published research or related activities. 

The "prize" held out is phone call consultations at 350 euros an hour if I sign into the system, jump all the hoops including submitting a proposal to fix the problem, and then get chosen.  Apparently, I'm supposed to be so flattered that someone calls me an expert in chemistry that I give away work for free and hope I get that phone call for a couple hours more work.

I give away higher ed advice and analysis for free.  In chemistry, I charge real money from the first minute of consultation.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Wahoo Redux

Just got a verbose and rather polished if ponderous solicitation from Research Outreach.org.

They even used the name of my most recently published paper in the subject line, and for a second I was excited because I thought a real editor or academic was soliciting something for an anthology or special edition.

But nope.

Apparently Research Outreach is "so passionate about open access" to the general public that they "must charge researchers" for their work.

Website is also polished if ponderous.  Wonder if it has any connection to the Oxford Round Table?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Scout

My sister just got one that described her as a "pre-eminent scholar". She's wondering when she will become eminent, since she's obviously just pre-eminent"

Hibush

I suspect this come on is from the same outfit that solicited zyzzx. I am not pre-eminent, but re-nowned. When was I nowned the first time?

This is from the World Journal of ASS, but seems to be independent of the ASSRAT conference.

Their scope seems to be quite broad. There is no obvious limitation on the subject-matter scope, and will take a couple pages of random (if esteemed) musings.

Greetings from WJASS!

It is my pleasure to communicate with esteemed person like you. Well, we are planning to release New-Issue in WJASS before 20th December 2019. In this case we want your involvement by submitting your research work or any type of the article towards our journal to start the Issue.

Because our office closes from Dec 21st- Jan 1st on the eve of Christmas and New year. So, I request you to process submit your valuable manuscript at the earliest as possible.

If this is a short notice please do send 2page opinion/mini review, we hope a 2page article is not time taken for renowned person like you.

Hope you will achieve our concern with your valuable submission.

Please admit this email within 24 hours.

zyzzx

In a new wrinkle, I have had a request to review from a sketchy (predatory?) journal. I mean, I guess it's good that they ask for reviews, but still. I was mostly taken aback by the apparent assumption that of course I would do it - there is nothing in the email about how to decline. Plus, asking me to click on links and download files in an email from some company that I've never heard of - no way am I doing that.
But apparently they are honoured to invite me, so I guess I should feel equally honoured!
(if there are any doubts about legitimacy, I just looked at the journal website and the paper is already published on there, only 2 days after the deadline for the review that I did not submit...)

QuoteDear zyzzx,

Greetings!

It is our professional honour to invite you as a reviewer to review the scientific manuscript received Journal of [redacted]   as a part of peer review process.

Article Type: Research

Paper ID: xxxxx

Title: [redacted]

Abstract

[redacted]   

Select below link to download the file.

https://siftdesk.org/rev/xxxx/616

Kindly submit your valubale comments before 14th December.

Download our Review Form using below link.

https://www.siftdesk.org/review-report.docx

To know more details about our website, kindly open URL. www.siftdesk.org

For further information about manuscript contact us at info@siftdesk.org

Hibush

Quote from: zyzzx on December 16, 2019, 07:38:54 AM
(if there are any doubts about legitimacy, I just looked at the journal website and the paper is already published on there, only 2 days after the deadline for the review that I did not submit...)

Top journals are competing for the best papers by offering a rapid review, and rapid publication after decision. This journal is clearly trying to be competitive and turning the dial up to 11 (or the timer below zero... I need metaphorical help).

Thursday's_Child

It's the new year and I've already gotten two today!  I'm overjoyed...

"Dear Dr. Last name First name,

Good Morning..!

We are in need of one article for successful release of Volume 4 Issue 4 by 27th January? Is it possible for you to support us with your 2 page opinion/case report or mini review, we hope 2 page article isn't time taken for eminent people like you.

We hope you won't disappoint us.

Acknowledge this email within 24hrs.

Respectfully,
Amber Jones
Modern Research in Dentistry (2637-7764) (Impact Factor: 0.821)
Indexed in: ICJME, ISI
"

Yes, this eminent people thinks a two page article isn't time taken for me.

Also:

"Dear Researcher,

Hope you are doing well!

We are delighted to notify you that, we are planning to release a Special Issue on Authors name with their articles only.

For this instigate, we require 5 articles from the Author. If it is not possible to you, please submit any one article for the successful release of the upcoming issue.

Please acknowledge this email within 24 hours.

Await your reply.

Melisa Samuels| Managing Editor
ISSN: 2572-1100
International Journal of Cell Science & Molecular Biology
"

No, I really don't think this instigate is possible to me.

Hibush

Quote from: Thursday's_Child on January 22, 2020, 12:11:06 PM

We are delighted to notify you that, we are planning to release a Special Issue on Authors name with their articles only.

For this instigate, we require 5 articles from the Author. If it is not possible to you, please submit any one article for the successful release of the upcoming issue.

Please acknowledge this email within 24 hours.

Await your reply.

Melisa Samuels| Managing Editor
ISSN: 2572-1100
International Journal of Cell Science & Molecular Biology[/i]"

No, I really don't think this instigate is possible to me.

It seems to me that you are missing out on the chance to get credit for five publications while submitting only one. And the journal name has the shine of being real. This may deserve some reinstigation.  They don't charge for publications, do they?

ciao_yall

I got one! I got one! My one database listing has finally paid off!

=====
Journal of Textile Science & Fashion Technology <textile@irispublisher.org>
Tue 3/31/2020 12:12 AM
Dear Dr. Ciao,
Greetings from JTSFT!

Hope you are doing well.

We are in deficit of articles for fruitful release of Upcoming Issue. Is it possible for you to support us with your Opinion or Mini Review article for our issue?

I believe in you that; your one article brings out the best achievement to our Journal.

Await your optimistic response.

Regards,
Kara Hands | (Impact Factor: 0.357)
Journal of Textile Science & Fashion Technology (ISSN: 2641-192X)
=====

I don't feel special because I found this thread by searching for the word "fruitful" which seems to be a keyword.

So maybe my fruit isn't as unique as I thought.

The impact factor is a nice touch, though.

secundem_artem

Scammers are like the post office. 

Neither sleet, nor snow, nor dark of night will prevent these mother buckers from their appointed spam.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Wahoo Redux

An editor "noticed your paper [Title] when I was searching for the keywords from a database, and can tell from your work that you are an expert in this field."

I apparently wrote a damn good title.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Hibush

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on April 02, 2020, 07:48:51 PM
An editor "noticed your paper [Title] when I was searching for the keywords from a database, and can tell from your work that you are an expert in this field."

I apparently wrote a damn good title.

Was it so clear that the importance was apparent even to a random googler, or was it so full of jargon that it's impenetrability signaled expertise?