News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The best predatorial journal come-ons

Started by Scout, June 14, 2019, 04:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

I got one today inviting me to submit an article on Anthropology - in any of several different areas!
Uh, I'm human so I guess I could bang something out?

sinenomine

Quote from: the_geneticist on December 02, 2021, 04:52:15 PM
I got one today inviting me to submit an article on Anthropology - in any of several different areas!
Uh, I'm human so I guess I could bang something out?

How about "An Anthropological Study of Scholars' Reactions to Predatorial Journal Come-ons: A Qualitative Assessment"?  :-)
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

Myword

I got an invitation to join the editorial board of the International Journal of Philosophy, which is listed here as predatory. I sent in my CV. They asked for no money. I have no intention of submitting anything to them. They charge thousands to publish. Is that predatory? The journal  looks respectable and interesting. Chomsky is listed as an author in the 90's. I am okay with it as long as I can serve as a referree. That's all. They got my name from a book review I wrote for a good journal.  Is this precarious?

Hibush

Quote from: Myword on January 27, 2022, 12:38:24 PM
I got an invitation to join the editorial board of the International Journal of Philosophy, which is listed here as predatory. I sent in my CV. They asked for no money. I have no intention of submitting anything to them. They charge thousands to publish. Is that predatory? The journal  looks respectable and interesting. Chomsky is listed as an author in the 90's. I am okay with it as long as I can serve as a referree. That's all. They got my name from a book review I wrote for a good journal.  Is this precarious?

They have the convenient rule that authors don't all have to sign off, so you are free to be a coauthor with Chomsky in the '20s.

No word on whether you can be a referee on your own paper.

Myword

I heard back from them. They rejected me! First time I saw that word from an editor.

I think the word predator is too strong. How about JOSE--Journals Of Suspicious Editors.

quasihumanist

Well - I guess I have made it in the world; MDPI asked me to edit a special issue...

mamselle

Quote from: Myword on January 28, 2022, 07:42:38 AM

I heard back from them. They rejected me! First time I saw that word from an editor.

I think the word predator is too strong. How about JOSE--Journals Of Suspicious Editors.

They intuited that you had no intention of paying them....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

Dear Dr. Redux Wahoo,
We are very passionate to associate with eminent people like you.

We would like to notify that we are in process of releasing Upcoming Issue towards Online Journal of Robotics & Automation Technology (OJRAT). In this instance we need your support.

We invite eminent researchers like you to contribute your scientific work towards our journal (or) you can submit a rare image with 150-200 words description.

We are providing 50% discount on Processing Fee.

Wow!  50% off!!!! 

And to think, the only thing I know about robotics is "Klaatu barada nikto"----and I actually forgot what that means.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

AvidReader

There are lots of rare images I could submit to a journal with 200 words description. Do they give you any suggested categories?

AR.

apl68

Quote from: AvidReader on March 11, 2022, 07:49:37 AM
There are lots of rare images I could submit to a journal with 200 words description. Do they give you any suggested categories?

AR.

No, but if you get a contact from an alleged cultural studies journal, how about this--"Bocephus Rex:  Oedipal Motifs in the Music of Hank Williams, Jr."
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

filologos

Quote from: apl68 on March 14, 2022, 09:48:59 AM
Quote from: AvidReader on March 11, 2022, 07:49:37 AM

AR.

No, but if you get a contact from an alleged cultural studies journal, how about this--"Bocephus Rex:  Oedipal Motifs in the Music of Hank Williams, Jr."

*applause*

mamselle

jerseyjay

I received an email from a journal which describes itself:
"Journal of Research and Opinion is an Universal Peer- Looked into open get to journal."

I am not sure if this is the result of poor translation, paraphrasing software, or whether "peer-looked into" is a new category of publication. Better than a vanity press, not quite so thorough as peer reviewed?

mamselle

Someone's translation algorithm run amok, I'd say...

M.