News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

The best predatorial journal come-ons

Started by Scout, June 14, 2019, 04:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_geneticist

Not for a journal, but for a conference!  In Italy!

amop-2021 <amop-2021@scientificfederation.net>
4:26 AM (13 hours ago)

to me

Dear Dr. [Geneticist]
Greetings from AMOP-2021
On behalf of the organizing committee Members, it is our honour to invite you as an Invited Speaker at our upcoming 3rd International Conference on Atomic Molecular and Optical Physics (AMOP-2021) which will be held from September 23-25, 2021 in Venice, Italy.
Please find the conference details here:
https://www.scientificfederation.com/atomic-optical-physics/

Kindly let me know your acceptance by attaching your short biography and photography.
Regards
Albert

I've never been to Italy!  Do you think they want all of my photography or just the most adorable ones of my cats?  Honestly, taking pictures of them is probably the most related to "Atomic Molecular and Optical Physics".

Puget

I got one today from the "Journal of Research". Casts a wide net. . .
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Wahoo Redux

Dr. Jamie L. Burrows, chief author of the Global Journal of Human-Social Science, USA

Your quest to explore new dimensions in your field that matches our journal's scope compels me to know more about your current research work. I can also connect you with our network of eminent researchers of your stream, along with recognizing your university.

Wow.

I had no idea that I had a "stream."  Hope it is someplace pretty.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Hibush

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 17, 2021, 09:58:21 PM
Dr. Jamie L. Burrows, chief author of the Global Journal of Human-Social Science, USA

Your quest to explore new dimensions in your field that matches our journal's scope compels me to know more about your current research work. I can also connect you with our network of eminent researchers of your stream, along with recognizing your university.

Wow.

Everyone is a limnologist now! Limnosociology?

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Hibush on May 18, 2021, 05:22:00 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 17, 2021, 09:58:21 PM

Wow.

Everyone is a limnologist now! Limnosociology?

I did not know that was even a thing!

What a wonderful thing to study.

Too bad I couldn't do math.

secundem_artem

Anybody come across these guys?

https://researchfeatures.com/

They appear to be legit in that they actually exist and the authors do not appear to be junior faculty desperate for a couple of pubs for their tenure dossier.  From what I can tell, authors pay to work with an editor and graphics team to revise previously published work for a lay audience.  Kind of a mish mash between pay to play, open access and a traditional magazine.  Most of the content appears to emphasize basic science which is not my bailiwick.

Thoughts?
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

Puget

This one is a work of prose poetry (note I am not remotely a surgeon, so I really doubt it is " best fit for both of us to accomplish the excellent results":

I feel grateful to welcome you to support us in the rejoicing release of Volume 13 Issue 1 in Open Access Journal of Surgery (OAJS). We need one article, and can we expect it from your end?

We truly wish to receive your research work towards the publication, and I believe it will be a best fit for both of us to accomplish the excellent results.

We desire to receive your valuable submission by 18th June.

We foresee to praise this opportunity with your renowned article.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Hibush

Quote from: secundem_artem on June 08, 2021, 10:37:31 AM

They appear to be legit in that they actually exist and the authors do not appear to be junior faculty desperate for a couple of pubs for their tenure dossier.  From what I can tell, authors pay to work with an editor and graphics team to revise previously published work for a lay audience.  Kind of a mish mash between pay to play, open access and a traditional magazine.  Most of the content appears to emphasize basic science which is not my bailiwick.

Thoughts?

It looks like a well done marketing vehicle for a research program or subject area. In the subject areas I saw listed, you become a recognized player in the field by getting your name out there broadly (not just to people studying the same thing.) This outlet helps you put some nice pubs together. They are better than the press releases from most journals and universities' press offices.

The relevant comparison is the press release, or an article in Scientific American or National Geographic. These works are not comparable to a minireview in a research journal.

Tee_Bee

Quote from: Hibush on June 09, 2021, 07:42:32 AM
Quote from: secundem_artem on June 08, 2021, 10:37:31 AM

Thoughts?

It looks like a well done marketing vehicle for a research program or subject area. In the subject areas I saw listed, you become a recognized player in the field by getting your name out there broadly (not just to people studying the same thing.) This outlet helps you put some nice pubs together. They are better than the press releases from most journals and universities' press offices.

The relevant comparison is the press release, or an article in Scientific American or National Geographic. These works are not comparable to a minireview in a research journal.

There seem to be several of these kinds of outfits popping up. They seem to appeal to deep-pocketed researchers, labs, or institutions awash in cash who can afford to hire an external outfit to distill complex scientific findings for a general audience. I think some of them do this work well, but the fundamental question is whether it needs to be done at all.

Wahoo Redux

We have chosen selective scientists who have contributed excellent work, to help us release the best quality articles for the upcoming issue. Thus I kindly request you to contribute any kind of article related to Rheumatology & Arthritis Research (ARAR).

I suppose they have a poetry section at the ARAR?

arcturus

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 27, 2021, 09:08:56 AM
We have chosen selective scientists who have contributed excellent work, to help us release the best quality articles for the upcoming issue. Thus I kindly request you to contribute any kind of article related to Rheumatology & Arthritis Research (ARAR).

I suppose they have a poetry section at the ARAR?

I imagine that they would welcome a paper about how writers transition to shorter forms of poetry as their conditions worsen. You could illlustrate the article with sonnets, limericks, and haikus, all written on the same topic but requiring fewer and fewer keystrokes to complete.

science.expat

I've received this one several times:

Your Elegant Manuscript

Dear Dr. Science Expat

Good Morning!

Hope you are doing well.

We are pleased to inform you that our journal Online Journal of Ecology & Environment Sciences is in the process of compiling Inaugural issue. So, we cordially invite you to join hands with us on this inspiration.

I hope you will give your valuable time and interest on our journal and we look forward to launching our OJEES with eminent people like you.

Please track the below link to visit on our journal website
https://irispublishers.com/ojees/

Kindly acknowledge this email for further queries.

AvidReader

[24 September]
Dear Reader, Avid,
Impressed by the academic value provided by your previous work, we earnestly invite you to submit your other research results to International Journal of Literature and Arts [redacted ISSN] which is a peer-reviewed journal.
[. . .]
Here is the abstract of your paper that has impressed us deeply: [First sentence of abstract].

[26 September]
Dear Reader, Avid,
International Journal of Literature and Arts (IJLA) is a (double-blind) peer reviewed academic journal, which is of high quality and is internationally recognized. This journal is created in order to help scholars and experts in all fields of literature and arts to share ideas and novel insights. This journal warmly welcomes applications to join as one of the Reviewers/Editorial Board Members from experienced professors.
[. . .]
Your scientific work "[Most Recent Humanities Article]" has left us a deep impression, so we are writing to ask if you'd like to apply to be one of our Editorial Board Members or Reviewers. We think that your contribution will be conducive to the high quality of our journal.

They both proceed with lists of ways in which the publication or service would benefit me. What I want to know is how it works if I accidentally get my own paper to peer review, given that I could reply to both simultaneously.

AR.

science.expat

What ever happened to our fake paper? Was it submitted?

mamselle

Yes!

I asked awhile ago, but no-one replied...

I'm sure it's still relevant.

;--》

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.