Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Protests and police on campus

Started by Langue_doc, April 22, 2024, 06:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 09, 2024, 11:01:18 AM
Quote from: secundem_artem on May 09, 2024, 08:37:54 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 09, 2024, 07:13:22 AMIHE: UC Berkeley Investigates Pro-Palestinian Dinner Protest Fracas

QuoteThe Council on American-Islamic Relations shared on X a video showing Fisk coming up behind Afaneh, grabbing the phone in her hand from which she was reading the speech, putting her arm around Afaneh's shoulder and saying, "Leave, this is not your house, it is my house." Chemerinksy also says "Please leave our house." Fisk then tries to pull Afaneh's microphone out of her hands. Afaneh says UC is funding weapons manufacturers and Fisk, relinquishing the mic, says "I have nothing to do with what the UC does."

So you can invade my house but I'm the one being dragged up to see what transgressions I have committed?

In a state with stand your ground laws, the response could well have involved a load of buckshot with the invader on the receiving end.  But in Berkley??????  It seems not.

Truly we are living in cloud cuckoo land.

The charges of "Islamophobia" are simply hysterical.

The professor should have simply called the police, but I guess anger took over.

Well, it was a private party.
QuoteChemerinksy, a free speech scholar, has written that the presidents of the third-year law school class had asked him and Fisk to have graduating law students over for dinner last month.

The monumental ingratitude of insulting your hosts is shocking.

A person with any class and integrity would simply and politely decline the invitation.
It takes so little to be above average.

Langue_doc

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 09, 2024, 11:01:18 AM
Quote from: secundem_artem on May 09, 2024, 08:37:54 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 09, 2024, 07:13:22 AMIHE: UC Berkeley Investigates Pro-Palestinian Dinner Protest Fracas

QuoteThe Council on American-Islamic Relations shared on X a video showing Fisk coming up behind Afaneh, grabbing the phone in her hand from which she was reading the speech, putting her arm around Afaneh's shoulder and saying, "Leave, this is not your house, it is my house." Chemerinksy also says "Please leave our house." Fisk then tries to pull Afaneh's microphone out of her hands. Afaneh says UC is funding weapons manufacturers and Fisk, relinquishing the mic, says "I have nothing to do with what the UC does."

So you can invade my house but I'm the one being dragged up to see what transgressions I have committed?

In a state with stand your ground laws, the response could well have involved a load of buckshot with the invader on the receiving end.  But in Berkley??????  It seems not.

Truly we are living in cloud cuckoo land.

The charges of "Islamophobia" are simply hysterical.

The professor should have simply called the police, but I guess anger took over.

The student in question went to a private residence armed with a microphone and a speech so that she could disrupt the dinner, instead of declining the invitation. Hijacking a dinner in a private residence was disruptive to the hosts as well as the guests. Accusing the hosts of Islamophobia when the group supporting Malak Afaneh distributed a poster depicting a "caricature of [Chemrinsky] holding a bloody knife and fork and the words "No dinner with Zionist Chem while Gaza starves" is blatantly anti-Semetic. According to one of the reports
QuoteIn his own statement released the morning after the incident, Chemerinsky said he was "enormously sad that we have students who are so rude as to come into my home, in my backyard, and use this social occasion for their political agenda."

But he said he and Fisk would not be intimidated and still planned to host the additional scheduled student dinners at their home, albeit with security measures in place. (An attendee of Wednesday's dinner said the event transpired without incident.)

Chemerinsky, who is Jewish, said a poster that Afaneh's group distributed before the event, with a caricature of him holding a bloody knife and fork and the words "No dinner with Zionist Chem while Gaza starves," was blatantly antisemitic.

Langue_doc

Apologies for the double posting.

According to The Gothamist,
QuoteThe students who orchestrated last week's takeover of Columbia University's Hamilton Hall left behind a series of charts, maps and supply lists that detail the extensive planning behind the brief occupation.

Photos shared exclusively with Gothamist reveal the protesters' hand-drawn schematics mapping out entire floors of the building, locations of supplies, doors they wanted to barricade, and the locations of water fountains and fire extinguishers.

A "task list" included to-dos like "set up pulley," "lock all windows," "security shifts," and "role [sic] call." A hand-drawn map of the building's third floor indicated that room 313 had been designated the "smoking room." Another list was titled "Heavy Equipment Locations" and noted rooms with "tons of books," "large tables," "tall ladder" and "portable podium/table." In all caps, the list also included the following note: "3rd floor windows in need of blockade."

See the article for photos of two lists by the protesters who occupied Hamilton Hall, the first a hand-drawn map of stairways and entrances to the building and the second, a list of "heavy supplies" like tables and books, along with room locations.

apl68

Hope Room 313 wasn't some poor faculty or staff member's office....
If in this life only we had hope of Christ, we would be the most pathetic of them all.  But now is Christ raised from the dead, the first of those who slept.  First Christ, then afterward those who belong to Christ when he comes.