News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Best design programs?

Started by Wahoo Redux, September 07, 2020, 11:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Okay Hivemind,

Does anybody have any suggestions about a good application for graphic design, specifically for working with words and images combined, essentially designing a book with graphics and text?

The is a bewildering array of products out there.  Cheaper is better but not crappy-cheap.

Thanks in advance, WR
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

polly_mer

Hire an editor or service to typeset your stuff nicely.
Quote from: hmaria1609 on June 27, 2019, 07:07:43 PM
Do whatever you want--I'm just the background dancer in your show!

Parasaurolophus

InDesign. The basics are relatively intuitive, and YouTube can teach you the rest. But it's probably easier and possibly cheaper to just farm it out.
I know it's a genus.

spork

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on September 07, 2020, 11:57:40 AM
Okay Hivemind,

Does anybody have any suggestions about a good application for graphic design, specifically for working with words and images combined, essentially designing a book with graphics and text?

The is a bewildering array of products out there.  Cheaper is better but not crappy-cheap.

Thanks in advance, WR

You're probably going to be looking at something like Adobe InDesign, which is only a few hundred dollars but will take you months to learn how to use. Graphic design is best left to professionals. If, for example, you've got a manuscript you want to self-publish, you probably want to hire someone. You might be able to find an undergraduate graphic design major who could do a basic job on the cheap, but it would require a lot of guidance from you as the client.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Wahoo Redux

Thanks all.  I appreciate the suggestions.

I'm looking to stretch my little artistic wings, do a bit more than simply write, play with image and words (been reading and teaching about surrealism).

jimbogumbo

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on September 07, 2020, 06:48:11 PM

I'm looking to stretch my little artistic wings, do a bit more than simply write, play with image and words (been reading and teaching about surrealism).

Spouse is a graphic artist. I'd say InDesign, but given what I've witnessed I'd strongly urge at least one class. It's really easy to be bad with it, and some formal instruction really helps.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: jimbogumbo on September 07, 2020, 07:06:45 PM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on September 07, 2020, 06:48:11 PM

Spouse is a graphic artist. I'd say InDesign, but given what I've witnessed I'd strongly urge at least one class. It's really easy to be bad with it, and some formal instruction really helps.

Hmmmm...that is a very interesting perspective.  Thank you.

Vkw10

Check on whether your university offers free or discounted. Mine does as part of Adobe Creative Cloud.

Consider studying a good book about design,too. Non-designer's Design Book and White Space Is Not Your Enemy are two good options. You can find software tutorials online easily, but design principles are more difficult to find.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: Vkw10 on September 08, 2020, 06:22:48 PM
Check on whether your university offers free or discounted. Mine does as part of Adobe Creative Cloud.

Consider studying a good book about design,too. Non-designer's Design Book and White Space Is Not Your Enemy are two good options. You can find software tutorials online easily, but design principles are more difficult to find.

Great.  Thank you.

mamselle

Yes, get some visual graphics training. Or maybe see if you can find someone who agrees to work with you in tandem as a hands-on consultant.

Learn about layout, color gradations, eye movement, balance, perspective, color theory, metaphoric and iconic imagery, and the DNA of type fonts.

Stuff done by people who can manipulate the software but have no 'eye,' whether innate, trained, or (best) both, drives me nuts.

And people can spot it a mile away, whether they know exactly what's wrong, or not.

There's a reason the graphic design programs in college take four years, you know...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mamselle on September 08, 2020, 08:58:10 PM
Yes, get some visual graphics training. Or maybe see if you can find someone who agrees to work with you in tandem as a hands-on consultant.

Learn about layout, color gradations, eye movement, balance, perspective, color theory, metaphoric and iconic imagery, and the DNA of type fonts.

Stuff done by people who can manipulate the software but have no 'eye,' whether innate, trained, or (best) both, drives me nuts.

And people can spot it a mile away, whether they know exactly what's wrong, or not.

There's a reason the graphic design programs in college take four years, you know...

M.

Excellent points.